Home

LOVE the game but how in the heck are Schwarber and Soler's potential a B?

This is a discussion on LOVE the game but how in the heck are Schwarber and Soler's potential a B? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-02-2016, 06:45 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: LOVE the game but how in the heck are Schwarber and Soler's potential a B?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
I think in deGrom's case he has reached close to his max rating.I do not think he will be better than a 93 overall in the future. Maybe a 95 with an out of this world season. Anything beyond that he is cracking Kershaw, Arrieta, Verlander (back in the day) territory, where they are basically Cy Young AND MVP quality pitchers.

I do not think deGrom is that, at least not at the trajectory he is on now.
Remember these are estimates, if he does have an out of this world season like (again) Arrieta, he will be bumped up accordingly in an update or next year's game.

Ratings, including potential, are very fluid from one roster update to the next. In fact they added a roster update summary to show you which player ratings changed and by how much.
You missed my point. It is not about deGrom's overall, it was about deGrom's potential. Overall is 93 and Potential is 91. Why should his potential be less than Bradley who is now in the minors? Considering what deGrom has done compared to Bradley, check it out, deGrom should have a higher potential. I don't see why deGrom's potential should be lower than his overall. For quite a few years now they had Strasburg with a 98 potential, now it's a 94.

Now, no one can accurately predict what all players are going to do this year. What you do know is what they have done. People pitching with deGrom did not get the "real" deGrom in this game during 2014 and 2015. He was a B potential in both, and even after winning ROTY in 2014.

There, that's my rant about deGrom
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2016, 07:21 AM   #42
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
You missed my point. It is not about deGrom's overall, it was about deGrom's potential. Overall is 93 and Potential is 91. Why should his potential be less than Bradley who is now in the minors? Considering what deGrom has done compared to Bradley, check it out, deGrom should have a higher potential. I don't see why deGrom's potential should be lower than his overall. For quite a few years now they had Strasburg with a 98 potential, now it's a 94.

Now, no one can accurately predict what all players are going to do this year. What you do know is what they have done. People pitching with deGrom did not get the "real" deGrom in this game during 2014 and 2015. He was a B potential in both, and even after winning ROTY in 2014.

I understood completely and maybe I did not do a good job explaining.

I am sure there is some sort of formula of rating vs potential. So if your potential is lets say 98 and you already are a 95 rating, I am assuming, there is a very high chance you can still improve in the game...yet in real life you are probably as good as you are going to be.

I think deGrom is near his max, he can still improve, but only slightly and most likely not (still an ace on almost any staff, so no knock). This is probably as good as he is going to get so they did not give him lets say 99 potential.

Stephen Strausburg is not a 93 rated player, and still trying to live up to his real potential, so its built into his ratings to potentially allow him to reach it...deGrom already did, and still has his potential pretty high to probably increase a little more.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:07 AM   #43
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
I understood completely and maybe I did not do a good job explaining.

I am sure there is some sort of formula of rating vs potential. So if your potential is lets say 98 and you already are a 95 rating, I am assuming, there is a very high chance you can still improve in the game...yet in real life you are probably as good as you are going to be.

I think deGrom is near his max, he can still improve, but only slightly and most likely not (still an ace on almost any staff, so no knock). This is probably as good as he is going to get so they did not give him lets say 99 potential.

Stephen Strausburg is not a 93 rated player, and still trying to live up to his real potential, so its built into his ratings to potentially allow him to reach it...deGrom already did, and still has his potential pretty high to probably increase a little more.
You can assume this and think that but we are not going to agree, best to leave it alone.

Have a nice day!
Old 04-03-2016, 08:49 AM   #44
Rookie

Teigh Cubs Teigh's Arena

OVR: 0

Schwarber is actually very good baserunner despite his lack of speed and I would put him squarely as a league average defender. He is definitely better than most people think he is. His misplays in the playoffs are not indicative of the player that I saw through most of the season. He's not a butcher out there typically speaking. I think he could get a little better than league average as everything I've ever read about him has indicated that the kid has a heck of a work-ethic and desire to improve. I absolutely adore the man, but that being said I think he is probably just a B potential. High B, but a B. I think that's fair for him.

As for Soler, I could easily see him exploding and becoming an elite player or I could see him never being healthy enough to be anything more than he is right now. I think because of his very boom or bust profile (in my completely not a scout opinion) a B is fair for him as well.

I'm a huge Cubs fan and have watched a large amount of baseball being played by these two men and I have no qualms with their potentials. If either of them takes a large step forward this year, which is possible in my opinion, then they should see healthy bumps in next year's game.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:53 AM   #45
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teigh Cubs Teigh
Schwarber is actually very good baserunner despite his lack of speed and I would put him squarely as a league average defender. He is definitely better than most people think he is. His misplays in the playoffs are not indicative of the player that I saw through most of the season. He's not a butcher out there typically speaking. I think he could get a little better than league average as everything I've ever read about him has indicated that the kid has a heck of a work-ethic and desire to improve. I absolutely adore the man, but that being said I think he is probably just a B potential. High B, but a B. I think that's fair for him.

As for Soler, I could easily see him exploding and becoming an elite player or I could see him never being healthy enough to be anything more than he is right now. I think because of his very boom or bust profile (in my completely not a scout opinion) a B is fair for him as well.

I'm a huge Cubs fan and have watched a large amount of baseball being played by these two men and I have no qualms with their potentials. If either of them takes a large step forward this year, which is possible in my opinion, then they should see healthy bumps in next year's game.
So how do you feel about Javier Baez being an A potential? Just asking....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2016, 11:36 AM   #46
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:

Archie Bradley is 23, DeGrom is 27.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:54 AM   #47
Rookie

I do agree that some potential ratings are off. I feel like Carlos Rodon should no doubt be an A. Best college pitcher in the draft 2 years ago and has front of the rotation stuff. Once he masters his changeup, he'll be like Sale with the great changeup and even better slider.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:15 PM   #48
Rookie

Teigh Cubs Teigh's Arena

Quote:
So how do you feel about Javier Baez being an A potential? Just asking....
Haha to be honest I think that's probably a little optimistic. I'd put him as a mid-to-low B until he proves that he can put it all together. He has improved his ability to make contact and cut down on his K%, but until he shows that he can do that for a prolongued period of time at the Major League level I'm not sure that he is justifiable as an elite potential. That being said he looks generally good in the field at short and third and I have noticed him running pretty well so he's very good and useful even with question marks about his contact.

He could easily be a monster, but I think that it's just as likely that he is simply a solid utility man.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »