Home

Worth the buy for a non baseball fan?

This is a discussion on Worth the buy for a non baseball fan? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-05-2016, 01:59 PM   #9
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Worth the buy for a non baseball fan?

Hmm depends on the experience you're looking for. There is definitely a lot of meat to sink your teeth into. I'd say playing the game is a good way to learn the rules of baseball (though you might be rushing to Wikipedia on the odd occasion to figure out what things like an infield fly rule are).

Just be wary that this game has a steep learning curve. Like someone said earlier, don't be afraid to start on lower levels, or even start your first season/franchise with force trades on in order to stack the deck in your favour.

Also be aware that there a a ton of options when it comes to playing the game. You don't have to play the default way that the game foists on you, and all of us here on OS have our own preferences so you'll have to sink some time into figuring out your own.

Beyond that, welcome to the show! There are a ton of ways to play this game (even beyond control styles) so take a gander and have fun! Baseball is deep and meaty in real life, and the Show definitely reflects that, so if that's what you came for, have fun and good luck!
Old 04-05-2016, 02:20 PM   #10
Zero Finger Movement

CRIP4LIFE's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergentSandwich
Would someone who knows minimal about real life baseball be able to pick up this game and run a franchise? Or would it be too complicated to manage trades and contracts and such
play season mode.

#1 it's multiple years, not just 1 season.

#2 it's franchise "lite". all the contracts and minor league stuff is handled by the computer. your job is to play. you can set lineups and rotations. but the front office aspect is not in season mode.
NCAA - CLEMSON
Old 04-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 0

The game is amazing...but I am honestly not sure if it is worth it if you are not a baseball fan.. It is a sim, and baseball to the core. It is not a quick pick up and play experience. Although RTTS might be the best mode for not real baseball fans.

Big thing to remember is the game has a steep learning curve, don't be ashamed to start on lower difficulties.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2016, 02:45 PM   #12
Rookie

knick9mm's Arena

If you're not a fan of baseball, I don't see a reason to buy the game. If you're a super casual baseball fan who just has no baseball knowledge, I think you'll enjoy the game. It does a great job at teaching you the ins and outs as well as baseball terms.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:49 PM   #13
I Like Making Teams :)

NicoFrost's Arena

OVR: 6

I have not been a baseball fan since about the 90's but I'm trying to get back into it. Having basic baseball knowledge and just being a sports fan in general I have enjoyed this game over the last few years that I started buying it annually.

That being said, not to hijack your thread but I have another question for people with the game and I didn't think I should create a new thread for it.

I was kind of tryign to resist buying it this year because it's frustrating to me every year because I'm a swing at everything kind of batter because I can't tell where the ball is going. Seriously, I've swung when I was being intentionally walked! So my question of course is, is seeing the ball/batting any better/easier this year?

Thanks if anyone replies!
Old 04-05-2016, 08:22 PM   #14
Rookie

half-fast's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoFrost
I have not been a baseball fan since about the 90's but I'm trying to get back into it. Having basic baseball knowledge and just being a sports fan in general I have enjoyed this game over the last few years that I started buying it annually.

That being said, not to hijack your thread but I have another question for people with the game and I didn't think I should create a new thread for it.

I was kind of tryign to resist buying it this year because it's frustrating to me every year because I'm a swing at everything kind of batter because I can't tell where the ball is going. Seriously, I've swung when I was being intentionally walked! So my question of course is, is seeing the ball/batting any better/easier this year?

Thanks if anyone replies!
They do have a new cam called 'Fisheye', which many people prefer. I had the same problem. To overcome it, I started focusing on the windup, and really trying to spot the ball come off the hand, rather than wait until its in swing territory. I got good at tracking ball movement, and am still improving. It's amazing.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:53 PM   #15
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

I'd say yes. There are ton of modes from a "create a player" mode (called Road To The Show or RTTS), a season mode, franchise mode, playoff mode, etc. Also, if you like card-based games, Diamond Dynasty has a ton of playability and you can even create your team, logo, uniforms, etc.

Yeah, the game has a learning curve, but dynamic difficulty makes breaking into the game a little more user friendly (plus they have a beginner level to get you up to speed).

This is a game with tons of options, lots of different modes, and tons of replayability. For 60 bucks, you have enough to get you busy until next year's game comes out.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »