Home

Elephant in the Room: AI Bullpen Usage

This is a discussion on Elephant in the Room: AI Bullpen Usage within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2016, 07:07 AM   #73
Banned

MythicalGnome's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Elephant in the Room: AI Bullpen Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Jon
Yea...... I have to put the cpu reliever stamina slider on 1 because of this. I've had to do this almost every year playing the Show. Without it, (unless you chase the RP with runs) the cpu keeps its RP's in there for 2+ innings.

Thank you for bringing this issue to the main thread, its been underlying for a while.
I really do hope this is finally addressed even a little bit in 17.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:44 PM   #74
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimey
Check out this thread from a couple of months ago, http://www.operationsports.com/forum...na-rating.html. Also, attached are some spreadsheets from a game that I watched between CHW and TB. You can see examples of the bullpen usage, as well as all the other statistical results that have been achieved with the adjustments described in the link, my sliders with Bacon96's roster from spring training. The only thing that has been off compared to the real MLB has been stolen bases. I recently just Increased the SB frequency and I am happier now with that. As far as situational relief is concerned, the AI seems to go with performance in the franchise games rather than lh/rh ratings or which way the batter hits. And it looks at the next three hitters due. So, if the next three hitters cumulatively are hitting worse against LHP, then the AI will bring in a LHP. When the game is late and close, with reliever stamina set at 0, if that LHP comes in and permits a baserunner, he will get the hook and the AI manager will go to the bullpen until someone can get him outs or he has no one left in the bullpen to go to. At this time, that's the best this game can do as far as situational bullpen usage. Check out the thread and the spreadsheets and I will be happy to answer any other questions you might have.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...?usp=drive_web
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...?usp=drive_web
Is there an opening day roster (OSFM) out there already that has these edits to SPs already? I know it's tough to edit outside of franchise mode, but it is possible using the import feature.

If there's one out there, I'd be happy to give it some testing.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:42 PM   #75
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe
Is there an opening day roster (OSFM) out there already that has these edits to SPs already? I know it's tough to edit outside of franchise mode, but it is possible using the import feature.

If there's one out there, I'd be happy to give it some testing.
I originally started the above-mentioned thread here and it was moved to the rosters section in hopes that the roster makers and editors would consider these edits in a version of their roster. I don't know if any have adopted them. After I begin my franchise, I don't look at another roster until my season is over. I only play year 1 in franchise mode; after that season is over, I archive my results and stats, download another roster and start another franchise. I do this to avoid all the off-season "business of baseball," which I have no interest in. I will probably choose a end-of-season roster, edit players and teams through the winter, to be ready to play spring training in early March. Sorry for the digression. You would have to inquire the OSFM guys and their editors if there is a roster with these edits included.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2016, 05:55 PM   #76
MVP

OVR: 8

the general usage of the pitchers drive me crazy. today I had Strasburg throw 130 pitches in his first start of the year!!!! (2nd game of the season). It kills me when I see pitchers stay in far too long, both in played games and simmed games. Way too many complete games. We all know relievers stay in too long. And then yet....I have games where they pull their starter at 71 pitches in the 6th of a shutout because he gives up a walk or something. They need to find the happy medium.

Complete games though are crazy, particularly in simmed games. For example Baltimore had it's first CG in real life this year. One. I've got pitchers who have 6 CGs at the end of the year by themselves.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:29 PM   #77
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

I promise this isn't a "plug my sliders" reply, but as the OP in this thread, give a look at what I'm doing to avoid most of this mess without the need to edit your pitchers etc.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2016, 12:14 AM   #78
Banned

turn down cpu manager hook??
Old 09-10-2016, 01:34 PM   #79
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscartermilwaukee
turn down cpu manager hook??
No, the opposite. I'm using 0 for SP and RP stamina while simming games, and then hook at 8. I may increase SP stamina a bit as the season goes, but for early April, SPs are being pulled as expected.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:50 AM   #80
MVP

forme95's Arena

Something else I have noticed, and it may just be me. The Starting pitcher always starts the game 100%. Where my pitchers (mainly on long runs with out a day off) come in 85 - 95%. Now both staminas are set the same, Im sure the Indians arent the only team to go 13+ games between a day off. I seriously doubt SCEA has it programmed that the cpu runs a six man rotation. Nor do I see the pitchers pulled early so they are full rested for the next start. Just my observation

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »