Home

Elephant in the Room: AI Bullpen Usage

This is a discussion on Elephant in the Room: AI Bullpen Usage within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2016, 05:50 PM   #41
Pro

Don Jon's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Elephant in the Room: AI Bullpen Usage

I just faced a cp who went 10 innings

image.jpeg

Game went 21 innings in a franchise player lock game. My last at bat rosenthal threw his 180th pitch

Last edited by Don Jon; 04-11-2016 at 05:56 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2016, 06:17 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSalsa
Do you manually edit all pitcher's stamina rating for this? I like the idea and all but no way will I go through and edit attributes lol
Yes, I manually edited each team's starters as they played their first franchise games. What I did was subtracted 15 from each starter's stamina rating. So, the top stamina rating is 85 instead of 99. I think the stamina rating should be based on innings pitched per start. So the guys with 80-85 stamina are the guys with 200 IP+. Also, for middle/setup/closer pitcher, use thier stamina rating as the maximum pitches you think he should throw per appearance. A middle guy that you think should throw a maximum of 35 pitches during any given appearance, his stamina rating should be 35. A setup guy you want to limit to a max of 25, his stamina rating would be 25. All my relievers (except the long man, who has backend starter stamina) fall between 28 and 35 stamina. I get very realistic innings using the reliever stamina slider setting at 0, starter stamina slider at 4, manager hook at 5. It takes some work, but I love the results. I discovered this last year. It's not perfect, but you will find it a lot closer to realistic.

Last edited by oldtimey; 04-11-2016 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Forgot a point.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:19 PM   #43
Rookie

Dynasty Legend 99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Jon
I just faced a cp who went 10 innings

Attachment 119011

Game went 21 innings in a franchise player lock game. My last at bat rosenthal threw his 180th pitch
That is AWFUL. I will not be starting a franchise until this is fixed or an effective workaround is found.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:09 PM   #44
SHOW TIME!!

The Kid 24's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimey
Yes, I manually edited each team's starters as they played their first franchise games. What I did was subtracted 15 from each starter's stamina rating. So, the top stamina rating is 85 instead of 99. I think the stamina rating should be based on innings pitched per start. So the guys with 80-85 stamina are the guys with 200 IP+. Also, for middle/setup/closer pitcher, use thier stamina rating as the maximum pitches you think he should throw per appearance. A middle guy that you think should throw a maximum of 35 pitches during any given appearance, his stamina rating should be 35. A setup guy you want to limit to a max of 25, his stamina rating would be 25. All my relievers (except the long man, who has backend starter stamina) fall between 28 and 35 stamina. I get very realistic innings using the reliever stamina slider setting at 0, starter stamina slider at 4, manager hook at 5. It takes some work, but I love the results. I discovered this last year. It's not perfect, but you will find it a lot closer to realistic.
So we should subtract 15 points from all SP's no matter what there Stamina number is?

Just asking cuz I'm probably gonna do this in the OSFM rosters.

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2016, 09:34 PM   #45
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid 24
So we should subtract 15 points from all SP's no matter what there Stamina number is?

Just asking cuz I'm probably gonna do this in the OSFM rosters.

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk
If your highest rated stamina guys are 99, then, yes. Just subtract 15 from the starters' stamina rating. Your highest rated stamina guys should be 85. I know 99 - 15 = 84, but 85 seems like a better number for top of the scale. If you have minor league starters with ratings of 60-65, you can leave those alone. Make 60 the lowest rating you would give a starter. With my slider settings (Starter stamina = 4, reliver stamina = 0, manager hook = 5), a starter with a 60 stamina rating will give you a quality start of about 90-95 pitches. Oh, for the days of third-party tools that would allow you to global edit! This would be so easy.

Last edited by oldtimey; 04-11-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2016, 09:40 PM   #46
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimey
If your highest rated stamina guys are 99, then, yes. Just subtract 15 from the starters' stamina rating. Your highest rated stamina guys should be 85. I know 99 - 15 = 84, but 85 seems like a better number for top of the scale. If you have minor league starters with ratings of 60-65, you can leave those alone. Make 60 the lowest rating you would give a starter. With my slider settings (Starter stamina = 4, reliver stamina = 0, manager hook = 5), a starter with a 60 stamina rating will give you a quality start of about 90-95 pitches. Oh, for the days of third-party tools that would allow you to global edit! This would be so easy.
I also have SP/RP stamina set at 4/0 and feel I get good results but not perfect. What about just lowering SP stamina to 3 or maybe even 2? Seems like that'd be easier than editing all the pitchers.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:19 PM   #47
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSalsa
I also have SP/RP stamina set at 4/0 and feel I get good results but not perfect. What about just lowering SP stamina to 3 or maybe even 2? Seems like that'd be easier than editing all the pitchers.
In my Show experience, the biggest impact on how the cpu handles pitch counts has been the stamina rating. I started experimenting with this in MLB The Show 13 after watching a cpu-cpu game with John Lackey, then of the Red Sox pitching a shutout until he had to be removed because of injury after throwing more than 150 pitches. The starter stamina slider setting set any lower than 4 makes the cpu manager anticipate a starter's fatigue rather react to it when it shows in the game. This was very glaring during the postseason with that exclusive postseason stamina "fix" in last year's game. To combat this, I had to max-out the setting to 10. At this setting, Kershaw pitched a complete game. But before I made this adjustment, the cpu removed starters without regards to pitch count.or effectiveness. It just determined the beginning of fatigue, then here comes the hook. I also believe that using the individual stamina ratings gives more varied results from game to game. Some good, some bad, but surely varied.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:01 PM   #48
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

I find myself switching to control the cpu in order to properly manage their bullpen. That I don't mind as a "workaround" but trying to catch the cpu from not pulling their SP so early is difficult, but possible. But nonetheless I wish they could/would address this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »