Home

Time to waive the white flag?

This is a discussion on Time to waive the white flag? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2016, 10:38 AM   #57
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Time to waive the white flag?

Did Custer give up at the Alamo?
No, he hung in there till them pesky Canadians were properly vanquished.

Did Tyson give up when Holyfield kept headbutting him?
No, he bit back until victory was his.

Did Jason Voorhies give up when negligent camp counselors let him drown?
No, he came back to be a big-time movie star.

Everyone has their Waterloo, but that doesn't mean you have to accept it.
#QuittersNeverWin
#44Syracuse
Old 05-15-2016, 10:39 AM   #58
Pro

scooterperpetual's Arena

Honestly I would try changing the Timing Slider or solid hits slider. Just bump it up 1 and once you can start hitting consistently then bump it back down. Or lower the difficulty.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:45 AM   #59
Rookie

saucerset's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
Did Custer give up at the Alamo?
No, he hung in there till them pesky Canadians were properly vanquished.

Did Tyson give up when Holyfield kept headbutting him?
No, he bit back until victory was his.

Did Jason Voorhies give up when negligent camp counselors let him drown?
No, he came back to be a big-time movie star.

Everyone has their Waterloo, but that doesn't mean you have to accept it.
#QuittersNeverWin
Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor?
NO! And it's not over now.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:29 PM   #60
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucerset
Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor?
NO! And it's not over now.

I hope it wasn't over because the Germans didn't do that. That was the Japanese.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:55 PM   #61
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I hope it wasn't over because the Germans didn't do that. That was the Japanese.
I guess not a Belushi fan?

M.K.
Knight165
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2016, 05:43 PM   #62
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
I guess not a Belushi fan?

M.K.
Knight165
As of this moment, KBL's on DOUBLE SECRET PROBATION.
#44Syracuse
Old 05-15-2016, 07:04 PM   #63
Rookie

WhiteBunny's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgess
I have played this game every year. I play on AllStar with timed hitting. I use Armour and Swords sliders. Every year I have been challenged, but have been able to hit reasonably well. I have hit 4 homers in a game, but have also gone 4 games without a homer. I have got 17 hits in a game, but also been shut down in others. I have loved how realistic this game had played for me. However, something seems different this year - I simply can't hit. I have played around 10 games and the most hits I have got in a game is 6 with only 2 homers. The game looks great and I would love to play it. But I'm getting very frustrated with the results. Anyone having the same issues? Do I just need to play more? I'm seriously giving thoughts of waiving the white flag and going back to 2015.
I play on All Star hitting, HOF pitching, default sliders, directional hitting with buttons. In my Spring Training with Cubs, one of the best hitting teams, i was something like 4-16. And only Rizzo and a bunch of guys were above the Mendoza line. Now i'm in the regular season, 4-3. I have 8-9 hits per game, but it's a short sample size.

Here some impressions:

- The swing/PCI feedback doesn't help at all, it's quite confusing cause it's static, it doesn't move. Now, i know the green/yellow/red theory, but at times it doesn't make sense. You get a perfect swing and you miss the ball. Well, a perfect timed swing is not a hit, i know. You can still get bad contact. So maybe it's a feedback problem: you see a perfect timed/green feedback, you miss the ball and you feel frustrated.

- Now, i'm doing a lot of bat practice, bat control mode. With the same settings. With a good contact hitter, it's nearly impossible to get a gold medal. You see a lot of perfect/green swing and you tip the ball or foul it. It feels a lot random but, again, maybe it's a feedback problem.

- I see a good number of hard hits. Maybe too many. And not a good hit variety, to be honest. Most of the time is hard contact, flyball, out. With some groundball to second base. But it's something related to directional hitting, i guess. Because if i switch with Zone, i usually see a lot more hit variety.

- Using Guess Pitch is useful, especially with sluggers. I've hit a good number of HR's just guessing for a fastball up in the strikezone. It also helps to build your plate discipline and get more walks.

I know those are very random feelings. It's super hard to tell you if something is wrong with the game or if it's you ( or me ) or if it's the slider set you're using. In your case, it's a short sample size to begin with. It's a new game and you can't know how many changes they've done, neither you can pretend to be good just because you was good in the past. For the same reason, it's a bad decision ( imho ) to modify immediatly the sliders: take your time to play with vanilla game, at least two weeks. Then and only then, search a good slider set if you feel the game is not what you're looking for.
So, yes, sometimes i really feel something is wrong with directional hitting. Sometimes not. It's the feedback ? It's me ? It's the game ? I just hope some SCEA guy jump here with a good word for all of us.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:50 PM   #64
Rookie

Only problem I have with hitting is that too many solid hits are directly at someone. This obviously happens all the time in baseball, but I'm seeing it at a frequency that doesn't represent reality very faithfully, and the statistics corroborate my observations. Not enough solid contact translating into base hits. Not enough shallow fly-balls dropping for singles. Not enough ground balls splitting the infielders. Small ball is very rare in my experience with the game so far. I'm hesitant to touch the fielding sliders, because it's not as though the AI fielders are defying the laws of physics... they just don't usually have to move very much to make the play.

It's very easy to get into hitters counts and earn a good pitch to hit, but it doesn't amount to much if it's not over the fence. The AI gets a wide variety of base hits off of my pitchers, so it's quite possibly something I've just not figured out.

Most of my runs come as solo home runs, or multi-run home runs when I've worked out walks or benefitted from errors or misplays just prior to hitting a home run.

Last edited by Panopticism; 05-15-2016 at 07:54 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »