Home

First ever Franchise

This is a discussion on First ever Franchise within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2016, 11:58 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
First ever Franchise

Hello all, I had a few questions I'd love to ask some of you folks that have been playing The Show (specifically Franchise mode) for a long time. It may help to provide some context about myself first. I'm usually a very big dynasty/franchise mode fan, that's always been a mode I've spent most of my individual sports gaming on. Historically, I mostly have played Madden, NHL and NBA 2k. I just got into MLB The Show, and I'm having a blast playing it. I've never played an MLB franchise before, so the idea sounds really fun/but also different than any other franchise. Perhaps some of you guys could share your perspective on how you play/any other suggestions!

1) The first one is the most obvious, 162 games. That's a lot. I usually like to play between 3-5 years in my franchises so I feel like I was able to make enough of a "GM" impact, but also not just playing with made up players all over the place. How many games a season do you guys suggest playing? How do you guys decide which ones to play?

2) Simulating: I know a lot of people who don't like simming games, I'm not one of them. Especially in NHL/NBA games, and for that reason I imagine MLB. With Madden, I definitely play each game, but during long seasons I enjoy the "active simulating" just as much. What I mean by that: For example, in NBA 2K I would play 1 game a week on the scheduled calendar. For the other games I would do the "simcast" and only jump in the game if it's close with under 8 minutes left. The question here is, how do you guys simulate games? I imagine baseball has more strategy, is there a feature similar to that?

3) Roster: My baseball roster knowledge is farrrr from elite, so I'm not overly concerned with accurate minor league rosters (although that can't hurt). With that said, I know enough to the point where not having Trevor Story on the Rockies sorta bugs me lol. Does anyone have any idea what the best way to get the most accurate roster is? Just wait for the update I imagine, or can you download other peoples rosters?

4) Misc. Any other suggestions/tweaks you would suggest? Anything you do in your franchise mode that adds to the level of fun or realism?

Anyway, sorry if this isn't deemed appropriate for a new thread. I'm excited to hear any feedback you guys are willing to share!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #2
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56
Re: First ever Franchise

First and foremost....welcome to The Show!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinscapswiz
Hello all, I had a few questions I'd love to ask some of you folks that have been playing The Show (specifically Franchise mode) for a long time. It may help to provide some context about myself first. I'm usually a very big dynasty/franchise mode fan, that's always been a mode I've spent most of my individual sports gaming on. Historically, I mostly have played Madden, NHL and NBA 2k. I just got into MLB The Show, and I'm having a blast playing it. I've never played an MLB franchise before, so the idea sounds really fun/but also different than any other franchise. Perhaps some of you guys could share your perspective on how you play/any other suggestions!

1) The first one is the most obvious, 162 games. That's a lot. I usually like to play between 3-5 years in my franchises so I feel like I was able to make enough of a "GM" impact, but also not just playing with made up players all over the place. How many games a season do you guys suggest playing? How do you guys decide which ones to play?

You would have to do something besides playing them all.....all the way through if you want 3-5 years. Sportscast leaves something to be desired in some areas...but it's not terrible(meaning, no semblance of a baseball simulation) ...I forget if you can jump in to a game from that...
If you don't mind having the game run while you do something else....I choose to PLAY a game and then just let the CPU run both teams.
As for players......the 40 man rosters truly dictate which players you are likely to see in season.....so if you start a franchise controlling all 30 teams....then make 29 of them CPU run with a AUTO profile....but designate which players are on the 40 man, you should see players you recognize in games.

2) Simulating: I know a lot of people who don't like simming games, I'm not one of them. Especially in NHL/NBA games, and for that reason I imagine MLB. With Madden, I definitely play each game, but during long seasons I enjoy the "active simulating" just as much. What I mean by that: For example, in NBA 2K I would play 1 game a week on the scheduled calendar. For the other games I would do the "simcast" and only jump in the game if it's close with under 8 minutes left. The question here is, how do you guys simulate games? I imagine baseball has more strategy, is there a feature similar to that?

I go in game and use the FF feature to jump innings if I am in a hurry.
One half inning at a time to try and control the game moves more....jumping in and out if necessary

3) Roster: My baseball roster knowledge is farrrr from elite, so I'm not overly concerned with accurate minor league rosters (although that can't hurt). With that said, I know enough to the point where not having Trevor Story on the Rockies sorta bugs me lol. Does anyone have any idea what the best way to get the most accurate roster is? Just wait for the update I imagine, or can you download other peoples rosters?

You can download other rosters.
A lot of guys create them and some are very good.
I would go into the roster thread and go with ones recommended from in there.

4) Misc. Any other suggestions/tweaks you would suggest? Anything you do in your franchise mode that adds to the level of fun or realism?

Check out the slider thread. There are good sets to start from....playing obviously must be tailored to your skill set and gameplay....but for the simming(CPU vs. CPU).....there are sets for that as well.
Also...in both the roster and slider thread...GREAT INFO!

Anyway, sorry if this isn't deemed appropriate for a new thread. I'm excited to hear any feedback you guys are willing to share!

Answers in BOLD!

M.K.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #3
Just started!

OVR: 0

I´m not a franchise guy, I play mostly RTTS and diamond Dynasty, but I can answer some of your cuestions.

Play 1 sim 5 so you can use all your pitcher rotation and still play a great number of games without getting tired. Of course this is user preference, some people like playing every single inning.

OSFM Rosters should be out in a couple of weeks maybe, you can download those frome the roster vault to update the minors.

Aaaand thats it, I can´t suggest anything cause like I said before I´m not a franchise kind of guy.

cheers
Old 04-11-2016, 12:50 PM   #4
Rookie

fullmetal2405's Arena

OVR: 4

Welcome to the world of MLB franchises. Prepare to say goodbye to your social life (my girlfriends HATES this time of year...)

1) I usually play a few spring training games to settle in and get a feel for things as well as adjusting my sliders and getting the dynamic difficulty up to speed. Then I'll play the season opener and Sim the next 5 games. So then I'm playing with the first starter in the rotation and then the next game I play is with the second starter, so on and so forth. If there's a great pitching match up I'll usually play that too. Towards the end if I'm in a close playoff race I play a few extra games as well. All told I'd say that leaves me playing about a quarter of the games on the schedule.

2) there's a sportscast simulation option (I believe it's still there I rarely use it) but I typically just Sim through the date.

3) A lot of guys play with this forums OSFM roster which has all of the minor leaguers created and in the game. I tend to just jump right in with the SCEA official rosters. I don't mind the created players. The roster vault has a ton of options in there for you.

4) Can't really think of anything else specifically that I do differently but when I'm playing tonight after work if something comes up I'll toss it in here.

Hope that helps answer your questions. Let me/us know how things are going and what other help you need!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2016, 02:14 PM   #5
Pro

garyjr33's Arena

OVR: 13

I also love franchise mode, and it is where I spend most of my time with the Show. Answers in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinscapswiz

I like to play every single game with MLB. Sometimes I get antsy and sim a few games but the last few years I have really stuck to playing all 162 to see what kind of stats I can truly accumulate. Then I know those are my stats.

162 games is a lot. I have seen a lot of people play 1 game of each series or play with quick counts to speed up the games/progression.

Anything less than OSFM is blasphemy!!! Haha. j/k. But seriously you should wait for the OSFM rosters. It helps with the immersion.

OSFM really adds to the immersion of the franchise mode. I also, try to follow the moves of the real team and turn off trades b/c some of the trades that are made are crazy.

NCAAF: Illinois Fighting Illini, Lafayette
NCCAB: Illinois Fighting Illini, Lafayette
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »