Home

Pick-offs

This is a discussion on Pick-offs within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2016, 06:58 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Pick-offs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfindeisen
I am referring more to when you take the step immediately, before the set. When that pickoff animation happens, it just feels like the runner is stuck in concrete and won't get back regardless. Like some algorithm exits that uses Baserunning, Steal, and Pickoff Ratings to determine the likelihood of success.

I've had that happen, too. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some chance to be "caught flatfooted" and then the runner has extra delay on the input or such. Stealing ability and pickoff rating (and type) might be making something like that happen.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:01 PM   #10
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I've had that happen, too. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some chance to be "caught flatfooted" and then the runner has extra delay on the input or such. Stealing ability and pickoff rating (and type) might be making something like that happen.
Ha, well either way it's in my head! I can't take an extra step now and feel like I'm not gonna get picked off.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:05 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfindeisen
Ha, well either way it's in my head! I can't take an extra step now and feel like I'm not gonna get picked off.
Sometimes I wonder if it matters. My runners have had terrible success in actual steals with or without any lead.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2016, 08:39 PM   #12
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder if it matters. My runners have had terrible success in actual steals with or without any lead.
I think it's a kind of "pick your moment" thing.

I have a 90 SPD 91 BR player on my team, and his steal % is around 30%

Meanwhile I have a guy who's now 64 SPD 35 BR and his steal % is 100.

The lead does matter, but guys are going to be more careful with a speedster taking a lead, and that in turn is going to give the jump debuff from the throw over. Nothing is worse than a bad jump. I've sent speedsters back to the bag or tried to foul off due to bad jumps.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:10 PM   #13
Rookie

mlbshower15's Arena

how do you look over at the runner? in last years game it was just L2
Old 04-11-2016, 09:27 PM   #14
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbshower15
how do you look over at the runner? in last years game it was just L2
press and hold L2. This is also how you slide step this year. Pitch while holding L2.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:48 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
I think it's a kind of "pick your moment" thing.

The lead does matter, but guys are going to be more careful with a speedster taking a lead, and that in turn is going to give the jump debuff from the throw over. Nothing is worse than a bad jump. I've sent speedsters back to the bag or tried to foul off due to bad jumps.
Bold is one of the things I hate in this game.

It's not like folks weren't "ready for" or "throwing over" to keep guys like Billy Hamilton from stealing. Or perhaps much any average base stealer (average = 70% success in MLB last year).

And then it leads to stuff like you mention - players that are bad at stealing steal better than players good at it. Yeah that makes sense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2016, 07:47 AM   #16
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind

Quote:
players that are bad at stealing steal better than players good at it. Yeah that makes sense.
I should mention that the 90 SPD 91 BR guy still has more stolen bases. My point is I'm too over-aggressive with him. I need to stop making the decision that he will steal (like I used to in 15) and instead feel out the moment more.

That is why my 64 SPD 35 BR guy has a 100% steal % because I am doing that with him.

Pickoffs are an important part of managing the running game this year. Even if you're not picking the guy off, you're letting him know that you're paying attention to him. It's very much a mind game.

P.S. A tip I've learned the hard way: If you've taken a step forward and the cpu gives you a couple looks but doesn't throw over, get ready to send your runner back because it's going to be a pitch out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »