Home

Informal survey

This is a discussion on Informal survey within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2016, 10:38 PM   #41
Rookie

Kevin82485's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Informal survey

I removed the questions I didn't really have an answer for.

1) How important are any of these features to you?
* Allow Dynamic Difficulty to advance multiple difficulties in 1 game. - Don't use this anymore.
* Way to remove R2 reminder OSD. If yes, by game option? Something else? I would like this removed, toggling a setting in the menu is fine.
* Pitcher/Batter Analysis on d-pad. Which d-pad direction? I like this, button doesn't really matter.
* Bring back the dotted line display showing your pitch break after a pitch crosses the plate. Yes I would like to see this again so I can tell where my pitch started and how much they are really breaking.
* Tone down HR Derby power (fun vs. realism) I don't really play this mode. I would prefer fun if the mode can be expanded upon to have more variation than the standard HR Derby rules. Like trying to hit specific targets or hit it a certain distance, etc. Have the option to turn it into a bit more of an arcade mode or have it realistic
* AVG/HR/RBI in batter walkup display. If yes, always? I would like to see this, however if the batter is batting in a particular situation, ie, bases loaded, show what his stats are with the bases loaded.
* Player energy OSD more readable. If yes, how should it look? Put a number in the center which represents percentage?
* Game watch option for RTTS - I probably wouldn't use this.
* The ability to manually or automatically set the color of your controller. How? - Is off an option? The light is pointless. just drains my battery

2) Do you use and like any of these features?
* Dynamic Difficulty - I use to use this, but not anymore. I wasn't really sure, or lost track of watch difficulty I was being dynamically placed into.
* Showtime (slow down time) Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it looks interesting. Waiting for OSFM roster update to start franchise and RTTS. Only been playing DD.

I know additional thought wasn't asked for, but I would like to request a volume normalization/leveling for music that is imported into the game. Some of my tracks are at a normal volume, but some are too quiet or too loud.
Wisconsin Badgers

XBL: TheJudge24
PSN: UntalentedTalent

Last edited by Kevin82485; 04-12-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2016, 10:49 PM   #42
Rookie

OhioCub's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SCEA
Hi, I have a 3-part informal survey about some ideas that came up in discussions. Feel free to answer as few or many as you like.

* Allow Dynamic Difficulty to advance multiple difficulties in 1 game.
* Way to remove R2 reminder OSD. If yes, by game option? Something else?
* Pitcher/Batter Analysis on d-pad. Which d-pad direction?
* More stats/information on d-pad. Which ones?
* Bring back the dotted line display showing your pitch break after a pitch crosses the plate.
* Tone down HR Derby power (fun vs. realism)
* AVG/HR/RBI in batter walkup display. If yes, always?
* Player energy OSD more readable. If yes, how should it look?
* Game watch option for RTTS
* The ability to manually or automatically set the color of your controller. How?
* Sabermetric or any other stats tracked/displayed. A few? A lot? Which ones? Where to display?
* Any other stat or OSD that was removed that you want to see again?

* Dynamic Difficulty
* Showtime (slow down time)
* RTTS Perks
* Pitcher/Batter Analysis menu
* Game Log
* Strategy Guide

3) Finally, a very subjective question: Which 2 or 3 pitchers and hitters do you think are the best to use in-game? The worst?

It's not my call, but I guarantee I'll be bringing each point up in wishlist discussions even if nobody else mentions them. Thank you!
I'm only going to answer #2. I always used Dynamic Difficulty and the only change I'd like to see is to be able to set it at a desired difficulty to start. In other words, I've been playing this game for years, I don't need to start every year at rookie level and work my way up. Allow me to set it at All-Star, with Dynamic on so that precise level can be fine tuned over time.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:56 PM   #43
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
responses in bold
If I could slide in a suggestion that is sort of related to these options/questions (OSD stuff/D-pad stuff/data to show)...

I'd suggest that using the D-pad/stick to access the pitch sequence for a player's prior AB could be changed so that this one button press can bring up the pitch sequences for ALL previous ABs that a batter has had in the game. I feel this could lead to better identifying patterns in how a player is being pitched by looking at 1st AB, 2nd AB, 3rd AB...etc...all at once on the same OSD at the same time.

As it currently is, you need to pause it, then go into the batter analysis screen, then sort by 1st AB, then 2nd AB, and even then you never see all the data on the same screen unless you don't sort by AB at all.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:13 PM   #44
MVP

Informal survey
Hi, I have a 3-part informal survey about some ideas that came up in discussions. Feel free to answer as few or many as you like.

My importance Scale 1 very important 2. Somewhat Important 3 Important 4 Not Important

1 Keep the reminder and add the hot/cold zones to the batter in preview.
1 Right on the D-pad to remain consistent with trends and R1 to tab.
2 Stats relevant to the situation, i.e. RISP, OBP, ect...
* Bring back the dotted line display showing your pitch break after a pitch crosses the plate.
4 FUN
1 I always preferred RANDOM stats not always germain to batting, i.e. errors WAR ect...
* The ability to manually or automatically set the color of your controller.
How?
2 Team Primary color
* Sabermetric or any other stats tracked/displayed. A few? A lot? Which ones? Where to display?

1 Yes
* Dynamic Difficulty
1 Showtime combined Ratings based Acc/Strength which will govern the amount of time you have in showtime. The low rating showtime meter is a faster, higher rating slower
* RTTS Perks
1 I didn't like that you guys took it off the d-pad, but I love this menu
* Game Log
* Strategy Guide
2 I'm an older dude so reminders is nice. Just a little bone to pick. You guys need to add and explain the difference between "suicide squeeze and safety Squeeze" Bunt situation. Suicide runner takes off right as the pitcher is throwing and safety as soon as the bunt happens. Many times Matty V calls this wrong everytime he says Suicide, when I'm sure I did the Safety Bunt.

3) Finally, a very subjective question: Which 2 or 3 pitchers and hitters do you think are the best to use in-game? The worst?
4 I'm team oriented, so I couldn't tell you.

It's not my call, but I guarantee I'll be bringing each point up in wishlist discussions even if nobody else mentions them. Thank you!

Last edited by Impetuous65; 04-13-2016 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:21 PM   #45
MVP

TripleCrown's Arena

low priority
minor detail but an high visual impact. Please hide it
maybe right would be good. Can't use touchpad ?
anyone left? loll .. is something like a combo L2-Right feasible?
what about something like MLB.TV ..pitch break..speed start and speed end
it's a simulation, i prefer realism
prefer some variations...not always on 1st pitch as well. RISP stats if runners on bases
the pie chart as some proposed
low priority for me
* The ability to manually or automatically set the color of your controller. How?
really low priority for me
same kind of of OSD as the batter walkup but display it on 2nd-3rd-4th pitch if any and not all batters. Would be cool if broadcasters can give a quick explanation on some of them, not all for sure, but most important ones
not one removed, but spray chart and the left,center,right tendancy would be a good in-game indicator
Also, maybe past the 6-7th inning, some camera panning of the crowd with the attendance numbers. Maybe a few comments if it's a non-expected crowd numbers for that stadium

* Dynamic Difficulty
not using it
cool for fielding, running, pitching but can't bat with it
* RTTS Perks
cool for some but not really using it
medium priority for me. may need some graphical update
* Game Log
not using it very often but nice to know it's there when we want to take a look. Referring to it mostly to take a look at the game attendance
* Strategy Guide
low priority. Good as is

Last edited by TripleCrown; 04-12-2016 at 11:24 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2016, 11:27 PM   #46
MVP

RunN1st's Arena

OVR: 20

Brian,
I've been a member of OS for a looooong time... I try to keep myself to in check with comments that may sound flaming in nature. However, I can't in good conscience provide a response to your inquiry without calling out the elephant in the room that you didn't address in your survey.

How important is it that SCEA fix online? Extremely. After numerous years of attempts and failures, the slump continues. Plain and simple, hire someone that can fix it or just leave it out next year. I don't expect a response as many have warned me (with a laughing tone) that my rant would fall on deaf ears.

I'm PSN friends with some of your staff and notice you guys are big The Division fans. Imagine for a moment not being able to play it online? Not a good feeling right?

Still love the game. I play every night and will until '17 comes out. Thank you for engaging with us, your consumers and hardcore/loyal fans.

Respectfully.

-Run

Update: just noticed that patch 1.03 will attempt to address the online issues. Thank you.

Last edited by RunN1st; 04-12-2016 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:34 PM   #47
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SCEA

* Allow Dynamic Difficulty to advance multiple difficulties in 1 game. Sure.
* Way to remove R2 reminder OSD. If yes, by game option? Something else? Yes, under game option works. But it might also be appropriate to have it tied to the D-pad or something in case a reliever or a closer takes the mound, and you need to understand what the pitcher's arsenal might be. Personally already removed "guess pitch," couldn't figure out how to remove R2 pitch, so by default that was left untouched.
* Pitcher/Batter Analysis on d-pad. Which d-pad direction? Whatever the majority wants.
* More stats/information on d-pad. Which ones? Whatever the majority wants.
* Tone down HR Derby power (fun vs. realism) Realism
* AVG/HR/RBI in batter walkup display. If yes, always? Give or take. I currently already use the D-pad to see the player's season average. I figured, my existing game performance is dictated by existing game stats (i.e. 1-3, 2-3, etc.). But apparently users have been vocal about having this back in. Might as well if that's usually how traditional MLB broadcast has it.
* Player energy OSD more readable. If yes, how should it look? I personally like the green circle.
* Game watch option for RTTS. YES, for the following reason, my own quote from a different thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Special moments is all I really have to say about the "removal" of this feature (or modification of how it's implemented through button pressing)

Even though I don't play RTTS, isn't baseball a team sport with a lot of down time where a player sits from the dugout watching his teammates at the plate? If the gamer can't watch the action of his teammates, isn't the gamer missing those special moments especially if he is not involved in the play whatsoever? The RTTS player can't be the only one who's involved in exciting plays, right? You can only relish in the following moments if you are actually able to see them play out on the field, right?

Spoiler

* Sabermetric or any other stats tracked/displayed. A few? A lot? Which ones? Where to display? Runner's in Scoring Postion (RISP) - batting average for RISP. Obviously, not always, but when there is someone in scoring position. Don't need to put this in a major stat box like batting average, hr, and rbi, or obp. Maybe underneath the major stat.

* Dynamic Difficulty
* Showtime (slow down time).
* RTTS Perks
* Game Log
* Strategy Guide

My answers in bold.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 04-13-2016 at 03:53 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:35 PM   #48
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

@ R2 option:

I would like the option to always hit R2 to see the pitch selection but that it be hidden normally, similar to how the strike zone display (whether to show the outline or not) is handled; it's either shown or not shown based on the user's preference in the menu options. However, it can be displayed if the user holds down the R2 button.

To offer additional feedback, I think it'd be nice to see the player's hot zones tied to this same button as well. If I'm a hitter and I hit R2, I would be able to see both the pitcher's repertoire (and confidence!) along with my hot zones; same if I'm a pitcher...I think it'd be extremely helpful helpful if it's a 3-2 count.

@ AVG/HR/RBI

I would prefer to see something where it shows the player's AVG, OBP and OPS along with the HRs and RBIs. With how prevelant OBP and OPS is in the game today, I think it'd be a great addition.

If it's the player's 2nd or 3rd AB, I think these stats should still show but maybe in a smaller font at the bottom while the top/majority of the display reflects the hitter's current day results.

Small OSD Note

If you've ever watched a Fox broadcast, they replace the # of pitchers with the speed of the pitch after the delivery until the pitcher steps back on the rubber for the next pitch. I'd like to see this small addition in the scorebug for those of us that like to turn as many OSDs off the screen as possible.

Dotted Line for Pitch Break

I don't recall this being in the game but I like to think the opposite in terms of hitting. I don't want to compare this to MVP but rather maybe "borrow" a feature they used. It was basically a gif that captured the swing when it the pitch crossed the plate and the user's timing...not sure how easily it could be implemented though.

Nonetheless, this one could help me SO much in terms of timing and seeing where I am late/early on a pitch. The feedback of "early" or "just late" seems to occur so much but if I could see where I am in terms of that PERFECT timing, it would help immensely.

I admit it's a bit of tangent and not really addressing the question per se but if I were to prioritize/categorize one to the other, I would prefer more feedback be given surrounding hitting vs. pitching. I think the forum shows the number of users still struggling on hitting versus pitching.

Spoiler
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.

Last edited by Speedy; 04-13-2016 at 12:04 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »