Home

Directional Hitting

This is a discussion on Directional Hitting within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-19-2016, 11:10 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Directional Hitting

For me directional = foul balls, pop ups and strike outs and a loss
Zone = HR's and more wins than losses...
Old 04-19-2016, 01:30 PM   #10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatikSelekta
Why are people allowed to use this as an option in H2H games either in DD or Play Now? It's an absolute joke with the cheap hits and runs I've given up.

It requires absolutely no effort on a players part and is total bush league nonsense. Folks should either have to use Analog or Zone when playing in DD or Play Now.

I haven't played one Zone or Analog user all year. So thank you SDS for giving bonafide scrubs an opportunity to earn absolutely nothing in game.

It should be usable only in RTTS, online and offline franchise, and the game rooms. It has no business in matchmaking competitive play at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Having used both directional and zone hitting in this years game, zone hitting is actually much easier and rewarding as far as getting hard contact. I played directional for the first two weeks or so and was struggling to get anything going offensively once I got past Rookie + on dynamic difficulty. Switched to zone last night and immediately was getting 10+ hits with multiple extra base hits in the games I played. Directional this year is actually a disadvantage in my opinion.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #11
Pro

One thing with zone is that I've been hitting solo shots recently but can't really get a rally going. Kind of wierd.

It's all perception and no one is going to sit down and analyze it seriously, but when you're getting good contact and timing and hitting every other ball to the warning track, and your opponent swings at everything and gets home runs on balls out if the zone (even disregarding their PCI) you wonder whats going on.

Nothing worth getting mad over. It's just a video game, but I would prefer zone plays with zone so I feel good about my losses.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2016, 03:40 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokker
One thing with zone is that I've been hitting solo shots recently but can't really get a rally going. Kind of wierd.

It's all perception and no one is going to sit down and analyze it seriously, but when you're getting good contact and timing and hitting every other ball to the warning track, and your opponent swings at everything and gets home runs on balls out if the zone (even disregarding their PCI) you wonder whats going on.

Nothing worth getting mad over. It's just a video game, but I would prefer zone plays with zone so I feel good about my losses.
Once again, after playing directional I can tell you that hitting a ball out of the zone for a home run is very unlikely. If people are hitting things hard that are out of the zone consistently they are most likely using zone hitting, at least that is the only way I have hit things out of the zone hard. Most things out of the zone, unless barely, with directional hitting result in pop ups/fly outs/weak groundballs/misses, even when getting "Good" timing.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:10 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 1

i havent had more than 4 hits in a head to head game with directional hitting.

even with "good" timing, fastballs down middle the plate, i whiff on - i dont think its as cheese as you think man
Old 04-19-2016, 08:33 PM   #14
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

I don't have PSplus so I don't know but, how do you know when someone you are playing is using directional? Do you get a screen prompt or is this more a gut feeling?
#44Syracuse
Old 04-19-2016, 08:39 PM   #15
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

I fail to see the advantage directional hitter are at when playing online head to head.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2016, 08:46 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
I don't have PSplus so I don't know but, how do you know when someone you are playing is using directional? Do you get a screen prompt or is this more a gut feeling?
It just sucks when you think you get beat by them, haha.

And it makes me paranoid. I just wish I knew, that's all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »