Home

H/9, K/9, HR/9, BB/9

This is a discussion on H/9, K/9, HR/9, BB/9 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-19-2016, 03:29 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
H/9, K/9, HR/9, BB/9

I am sure we have had threads on this previously, but it is good to update our views now that we have had a few weeks with the new version of the game.

Does anybody see these attributes having an impact on non-simulated games or do you think they are there purely for simulation purposes?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2016, 04:55 AM   #2
Rookie

Haansen's Arena

Re: H/9, K/9, HR/9, BB/9

Cardinalbird made a video about this. Seems like the size of the PCI is effected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cySFTovzyjA

Last edited by Haansen; 04-19-2016 at 05:04 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:06 AM   #3
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

I have videos on three of the four. I plan to do BB/9 as well.

Make sure to watch the vids and I will sum up my opinions on how valuable they are at the bottom...

H/9 and K/9 are the most important IMO. They counteract the hitter's contact and plate vision, respectively, by modifying them. For example, lets say SDS decides that a 99 H/9=10% modification and 50 H/9= 3% modification to the respective opponent's attribute. Lets say you have a pitcher that has 99 k/9 and 99 h/9 vs a hitter that 99 contact/99 plate vision. With the pitchers H/9 and K/9, the new opponents contact would now be 89 contact and 89 plate vision. Now lets say we have a new pitcher that has 50 k/9 and 50 h/9...now your opponents hitter is still at 97 contact and 97 plate vision. That is a difference of 8 raw points.

That is just an example of how the modifiers work (or how I believe they work), so I don't know the exact percentages they use but I'd guess it is 10-20 pct. In short, it shrinkens your opponents' PCI and makes it more difficult for them to hit line drives, hit the ball hard, and put the ball in play. Thus, they are extremely important.

BB/9 affects your consistency of throwing accurate pitches. The actual individual pitch control for each pitch affects how easy it is for that pitcher to throw that pitch with any given pitching interface. A high BB/9, in general, will give you more consistency where you are aiming the pitch regardless of how well you execute your pitching interface. Of course, if you can get perfect and precise inputs more consistently then that will help a lot too.

To give an example of the differences...a pitcher with a high BB/9 and high individual pitch control will have an easy time executing their interface with precise inputs, as well as, have the pitch generally go where they intended for it go.

A pitcher with low bb/9 and high pitch control...will still have an easy time of executing their interface and get perfect releases, however if you slightly miss or mess up on your interface you will be punished even more and even when you get perfect inputs you still may not hit your spots perfectly.

A pitcher with a high bb/9 and low individual pitch control...will have a tough time of executing their interface but the pitch will still generally go where they intend to throw it even w/o perfect inputs. You are punished less.

A pitcher with low bb/9 and low control...will have a tough time of executing the interface and the pitches will go all over the place.

Also...keep in mind they added precision input engine to their gameplay so that affects pitching too. Users are rewarded more for precise inputs and punished for mediocre/bad inputs. They sort of degrades the BB/9 attribute a bit, but you can still definitely tell a difference.

Lastly, confidence and each pitch has a specific tolerance to how easily you can execute your interface and hit your spots.

If you want to test it out then edit a pitcher to max bb/9, max control, no bb/9 and no control...and you'll see for yourself.

Lastly, HR/9 does nothing in gameplay.....so never train it for RTTS and neglect it for DD. It does have an impact for sims, so it still important if you sim franchise games.

Youtube
Old 04-19-2016, 10:33 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
Lastly, HR/9 does nothing in gameplay.....so never train it for RTTS and neglect it for DD. It does have an impact for sims, so it still important if you sim franchise games.

Wow, I always assumed that this counteracted power the way that H/9 counteracted contact.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:48 AM   #5
Rookie

Thanks guys. So in summary, yes, they do definitely have a tangible effect on the game, even in non-simulation. I just wanted to make sure before I spent training points on those categories for my RTTS.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2016, 11:07 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmerilLIVE
Wow, I always assumed that this counteracted power the way that H/9 counteracted contact.

I wish it would. Not sure why it does nothing in played games...seems silly.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:13 AM   #7
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmerilLIVE
I think the idea is to let individual pitch movement influence certain hit types in gameplay. Guys with pitches that sink hard would be more of ground-ball pitchers and therefore give up less HRs.

Trade off is that in simulated games individual pitch attributes don't have any effect.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:47 AM   #8
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
I'm asking sincerely, but is there a source for this? I've noticed HR/9 definitely having an impact in played games in DD where HRs seemingly turn into routine flyouts. With a guy like Bobby Parnell, a bit of a scrub but with 90+ HR/9, it's routine flyouts all over the field when you're playing someone who's only looking for the long ball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »