Home

My only gripe. Too many plays made by the catcher. What's yours?

This is a discussion on My only gripe. Too many plays made by the catcher. What's yours? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2016, 01:10 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 20
Re: My only gripe. Too many plays made by the catcher. What's yours?

1. There is an extreme lack of foul balls that go directly to the backstop/net behind home. This happens 10-15 times per game IRL and rarely do I see it in The Show (once per game?).

2. To echo the OP, way too many throwdowns to first after a dropped third strike. IRL most batters don't even bother running unless the ball really gets away.

3. On called third strikes, batters whine and gesture way too much. IRL most hitters will just stoically walk back to the dugout, accepting their fate. Here they're almost always making a big fuss like it was the wrong call or something. (Shame because there are "accept your fate" animations in the game, they're just much rarer than the other ones for some reason.)

4. Crowd reactions remain pretty underwhelming. I swear there are times (frequently, at that) when they'll cheer louder and longer for a random foul ball or pop-out than they will a triple.

5. Also to echo the OP, I'm really, really sick of weak-*** fouls that from every indication should be unplayable, but instead float around as if the ball is a marshmallow, resulting in the catcher or 1B making the catch.

6. Last but not least: the cuts they've made to broadcast presentation, most notably the "real time" thing from 12 or 13 or whatever it was. Every time I'm made to watch one of those pitcher cutscenes, a ballboy cutscene, a manager cutscene, etc., I'm reminded of all the cool stuff we used to be able to see that they ripped.

Last edited by NEOPARADIGM; 04-20-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:38 PM   #18
MVP

PPerfect_CJ's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
1. There is an extreme lack of foul balls that go directly to the backstop/net behind home. This happens 10-15 times per game IRL and rarely do I see it in The Show (once per game?).

2. To echo the OP, way too many throwdowns to first after a dropped third strike. IRL most batters don't even bother running unless the ball really gets away.

3. On called third strikes, batters whine and gesture way too much. IRL most hitters will just stoically walk back to the dugout, accepting their fate. Here they're almost always making a big fuss like it was the wrong call or something. (Shame because there are "accept your fate" animations in the game, they're just much rarer than the other ones for some reason.)

4. Crowd reactions remain pretty underwhelming. I swear there are times (frequently, at that) when they'll cheer louder and longer for a random foul ball or pop-out than they will a triple.

5. Also to echo the OP, I'm really, really sick of weak-*** fouls that from every indication should be unplayable, but instead float around as if the ball is a marshmallow, resulting in the catcher or 1B making the catch.

6. Last but not least: the cuts they've made to broadcast presentation, most notably the "real time" thing from 12 or 13 or whatever it was. Every time I'm made to watch one of those pitcher cutscenes, a ballboy cutscene, a manager cutscene, etc., I'm reminded of all the cool stuff we used to be able to see that they ripped.
There was overkill with this LAST year. Really should have been toned way down for '16.
#WeAreND
Old 04-20-2016, 02:26 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 2

I agree with all of those posted above, No game killers, After about 50 + games played, For me some of the comments made over and over become stale and boring. I see way to many broken bats, I would much rather hear the difference between RH batting ave and LH batting ave. instead of home and away. And difference seems to always be huge for example Away betting 315 and home 205. They never seem close. When setting my line up, I want to know the difference between RH Ave and LH ave, You can't do that this year unless you go to stats, Extremely frustrating. Another issue is hot and cold players, Way to many cold players and they never seem to change, I usually have 4 to 6 players cold for every game. I played a cold player and he went 4 for 5 with three home runs in one game, He was still cold the next day. No rhyme or reason for it. Extremely to few wild pitches or hit batters. In one game I was testing, I intentionally hit 5 batters in a row before the umpire game me a warning. And finally, In all my games played I have not seen even one called strike on a check swing from a 3b or 1b umpire. And yet, I still love this game and can't quit playing it. Hopefully, many of these little issues will be fixed, I do believe the biggest issue for OFFLINE is the Stats not being available on the minor league cards and the pitching reliever issues and the base running.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:28 PM   #20
Rookie

philmnn's Arena

OVR: 0

Middle infielders turning in to magicians on double plays. The way they can go from catching the throw/grounder, to leaving the glove, to throwing all in about .2 seconds. There's no way a DP should be turned when the batter isn't even halfway down the baseline. Earlier i had a chopper up the middle, the SS fielded it running on the glove side, then the ball magically appeared 2 feet away to his throwing hand for him to backhand it to 2nd.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:30 PM   #21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville102001
I have a few but they are issues we have had like ever year.

1. The way the CPU uses there Bullpen they leave pitchers in to long and don't really uses left pitches vs left pitches.
2. To many double plays even when I am hitting well I hit into way to many double plays. Example last 5 games I have hit into like 11 double plays.
3. Pitchers getting hit by balls going up the middle. It is better this year as it doesn't happened ever game more like a ever other game type of thing where in the past it was like 3 times a game but even ever other game is much more often then real life.
I had the double play problem too (and hitting grounders too) the problem isn't the game it's you. Look at the pitches you are hitting into double plays with. I'm sure you will see they are low in the zone and usually on the outsides of the plate.

I personally like how the CPU is actually pitching smart in situations where a DP is needed. It's up to you as the batter to lay off those pitches and force them to give you something better to hit.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2016, 02:43 PM   #22
Rookie

I've seen more barehanded grabs off grounders thrown for strikes to the 1b more since I've put 16 in my console then I have in 7 years of watching baseball.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:30 PM   #23
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM

I agree fully!

I believe I recall Chris (sr. designer) stating foul balls/tips are a priority for 2017. I just want to see the one-handed foul tip swing which looks wayyyy to rushed to be taken out/redone.
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:55 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 1

- Every time you break your bat the ball is popped up 100% of the time...
- Pitcher takes for ever to cover first on a DP attempt
- Every foul ball hit into foul territory stays in play, barely any ever make it into the stands
- Lack of urgency on scooping ball in OF and on certain throws
- Catcher is to quick out of his stance, they're faster than say Billy Hamilton or Rajai Davis are getting a jump off 1st for a steal attempt
- CPU strangely blow through stop signs quite often and are easily tagged out.
- Too many barehanded throws and throws on the run for my liking in the infield

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »