Home

Which is more important for gameplay BB/9 or control?

This is a discussion on Which is more important for gameplay BB/9 or control? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-24-2016, 05:51 PM   #9
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Which is more important for gameplay BB/9 or control?

Glancing over the thread cb5 cited, I noticed B Ma did confirm what I wrote there:

(That moment B Ma gives his thumb up... priceless. For everything else, there's Discover Card.)

I actually remembered asking this very question to B Ma, about the difference between BB9/Control, in one of the developer Twitch streams a year or two ago.

So (unless you are of type who believes in Developers' Grand Conspiracy), I think the question would be to how much degree Control of each pitch modifies BB/9.

I cannot really think of a decent way to test this without squandering time (i.e., accumulating stats), but the easiest to see, if the effect of BB/9 and Control is big enough, is to use the Pulse interface and observe (1) how the size of pulsing circle at the min/max radius changes and (2) how fast it pulsates.

I know for sure these change very noticeably with difficulty level (e.g., Beginner vs. Legend).

I also do remember at least BB/9 has a very noticeable difference in pulsing. With DD pitchers (of yore, when they could be almost fully customized), high/low BB/9 pitchers are very noticeable in Pulse size/speed. I never really tried to look for it, so I don't know how much Control modifies this.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:55 PM   #10
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
Glancing over the thread cb5 cited, I noticed B Ma did confirm what I wrote there:

(That moment B Ma gives his thumb up... priceless. For everything else, there's Discover Card.)

I actually remembered asking this very question to B Ma, about the difference between BB9/Control, in one of the developer Twitch streams a year or two ago.

So (unless you are of type who believes in Developers' Grand Conspiracy), I think the question would be to how much degree Control of each pitch modifies BB/9.

I cannot really think of a decent way to test this without squandering time (i.e., accumulating stats), but the easiest to see, if the effect of BB/9 and Control is big enough, is to use the Pulse interface and observe (1) how the size of pulsing circle at the min/max radius changes and (2) how fast it pulsates.

I know for sure these change very noticeably with difficulty level (e.g., Beginner vs. Legend).

I also do remember at least BB/9 has a very noticeable difference in pulsing. With DD pitchers (of yore, when they could be almost fully customized), high/low BB/9 pitchers are very noticeable in Pulse size/speed. I never really tried to look for it, so I don't know how much Control modifies this.
Would you also agree that velo, break, and pitch type affect the pulse as well? I remember using a guy that only threw 90 mph in MLB 13 and his pulse was so small. I then would use guys that threw 99-102 with max BB/9 and it was more difficult to control.

Also, do you think primary pitches get a boost to control?
And what effects do you think pitch confidence has in game?

Youtube
Old 04-24-2016, 06:22 PM   #11
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
Would you also agree that velo, break, and pitch type affect the pulse as well? I remember using a guy that only threw 90 mph in MLB 13 and his pulse was so small. I then would use guys that threw 99-102 with max BB/9 and it was more difficult to control.

Also, do you think primary pitches get a boost to control?
And what effects do you think pitch confidence has in game?

Of the three you mentioned (Speed, Break, and pitch type), I think pitch type definitely would... some pitches, e.g., curveball, is definitely harder to command so the pulsing may already take that into account. I doubt Break attribute by itself would though...

I'm not sure what "maxing out" you are talking about here, because with DD players there were often ceiling and it might have been that hard throwers were "capped" lower in BB/9/Control whereas finesse guys may have had higher cap in BB/9/Control?

I would not be surprised if higher Speed making BB/9/Control slightly worse, but I'm not sure. I don't know if that's enforced on the attribute level, or expressed through pitching interfaces that have the concept of "efforts" (i.e., trade-off between speed vs. command).

I don't know about primary pitches... it seems to affect the pitch usage (and not effectiveness) by CPU but that doesn't matter to HUM.

I think Pitch Confidence definitely would affect pulsing, as confidence in this game is a mechanism to influence pitch command.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2016, 09:02 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 5

First this comment is based on me using analog pitching. The only thing I do know is that control below 50 effects my ability to pitch, especially if I am pitching from the stretch. When its under 50 and Im in the stretch ion my push back up with the stick it is very very sensitive. On the feedback you see it looks like a very fast oscillating wave and my pitches go anywhere and everywhere. But once I get into the 50s that sensitivity goes away and I am able to control my up push on the stick better.

Now I am sure BB/9 has some effect who knows, but it has to be subtle and under the hood because its not as visible as the control one is, at-least for using analog.

Whatever the results I gotta say I love this type of info and really do appreciate the work that is put into it to help everybody.

Last edited by 90Bamagrad; 04-25-2016 at 09:05 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »