Home

RTTS career progression too fast

This is a discussion on RTTS career progression too fast within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-25-2016, 12:40 AM   #1
Rookie

Aviator87AC's Arena

OVR: 0
RTTS career progression too fast

Is anyone else finding RTTS career progression too easy? I was a modest draft in the 7th round with little to no future in the majors. I did well enough my first year at 3B and SS to be noticed and was promptly promoted to AAA. I did good, but not that good. After the first year I was roughly a 67 overall and then without a word began the next spring training season in MLB. Coincidentally, the Nationals (my team) had traded their MLB 3B so I was the starting man out of the gate as a rookie in my 2nd year.

Normally I wouldn't complain, but the problem is I wasn't good enough to be at that level, so I slumped hard and performed poorly. There was no option to ask for an option into the minors so I just kept playing so bad they were forced to move me down. To be honest, this is pretty immersion breaking for me - there really needs to be a more realistic progression and instead of being forced to move up to MLB, you should be given the choice, at least at first.

Thoughts? Similar stories?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2016, 12:43 AM   #2
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: RTTS career progression too fast

It isn't realistic being asked when you want to be called up to the majors.

Watch me play video games
Old 04-25-2016, 12:46 AM   #3
Pro

Stolm's Arena

RTTS has been on a downward spiral for the last few years if you are looking for an immersive, realistic experience.

I don't agree that you should have a choice about how the team uses you though. If I could just go up or down whenever I wanted, that would be more immersion breaking then being brought up too soon.

Last edited by Stolm; 04-25-2016 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:51 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Drafted in first round by rockies, starting pitcher. 7 starts in AA and got called up to majors. Lost interest, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2016, 08:18 AM   #5
Rookie

Got drafted by the Astros as a 1B. Boy, was I ever lucky there. Great team and they could use a good 1B. After 22 AB I got promoted to AAA. After 10 games there I started using a 20 game XP booster because it was so frustrating to play for a team that was so bad. On June 2 I got called up to The Show and I've been raking it ever since. In hindsight I probably should've skipped the XP booster because even if we sucked it was a lot of fun. Not that I'm not having a good time now but it was different. A lot of games with runs in the double digits. I remember one game that ended with a 17-15 win. You don't see many of those in The Show.

So yeah, I agree. In retrospect.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2016, 08:31 AM   #6
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7

I think a lot of that is the result of not being able to start off in places like Rookie A ball, Single A, etc. It would take a lot longer if those leagues where in the game.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:41 AM   #7
Rookie

I've also seen people complain that it is taking too long for their player to progress. I think this is one of those "damned if they, damned if they don'ts." They'll never be able to please everybody on this one. Maybe they could implement a progression slider of sorts so as to let you have some degree of control over how hard or easy you want progression to be.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:50 AM   #8
Rookie

Aviator87AC's Arena

I think a progression slider definitely needs to happen. Few things I should have mentioned in my OP - I play with no perks, no showtime on all-star everything. I built my player as a fielder first, batter second - which means my contact hitting was pretty benign in the beginning making for a gritty baseball experience. This is realistic, yet I still got called up my second year.

I'm on my first option down to the minors so we'll see how long they keep me here. My overall has gone up to a 77 adjusted and I'm killing it in AAA - feels good to be "good" again

To the guy saying it's not realistic to ask when to be promoted to the MLB, it is entirely UNrealistic to be called up to the MLB so soon. This is a conversation you'd typically have with your coaches and organization. My assumption is that nobody would turn down the opportunity to play prime time if they had a choice, if for no other reason than the pay grade increase, so instead of providing dialogue options, SCE just made it automatic. It would just be nice if there was a little more you had to do to get there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »