Home

Discuss: General MLB Franchise Roster Management Tips

This is a discussion on Discuss: General MLB Franchise Roster Management Tips within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-28-2016, 11:50 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Discuss: General MLB Franchise Roster Management Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeebs
Stolen base glitch huh? I've yet to read about this. What are the details on that one tessl?
I use manage mode - I can't speak for joystick mode. It is very difficult for even the best base stealers to steal successfully. I suspect the tag animation is the culprit. I suspect the same tag animation cause the high number of runners advancing on a wild pitch being thrown out.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:54 AM   #18
Rookie

Threeebs's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I use manage mode - I can't speak for joystick mode. It is very difficult for even the best base stealers to steal successfully. I suspect the tag animation is the culprit. I suspect the same tag animation cause the high number of runners advancing on a wild pitch being thrown out.
Must only be the case for cpu vs cpu games (or MoM games) because simulation is getting decent stolen base numbers. Maybe use Nomo's simulation sliders for better results?
Old 04-28-2016, 12:32 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeebs
Must only be the case for cpu vs cpu games (or MoM games) because simulation is getting decent stolen base numbers. Maybe use Nomo's simulation sliders for better results?
Nothing against Nomo and his diligent work but I'll wait until the patch to see if it is fixed. The problem is the animation. The animation doesn't exist in sim mode and therefore no problem which gets into another area - stats based progression/regression. The sim engine and game engine produce different results and stats. 29 teams use the sim engine. 1 team - mine - uses the game engine. 29 teams have one progression model. 1 team - mine - has a different progression model.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:08 PM   #20
Pro

Black59Razr's Arena

OVR: 1

I do like to focus on the 25 man roster, like most of the other posts here. As far as the 40 man and full roster, I don't worry much about that until the off season.

If I do sustain an injury, and have to bring someone up, I usually bring up somebody that doesn't have much big league potential (over 26 years old, C potential, etc.) I don't want to start their clock. I keep my bench pretty solid anyway, for situations like this. So, the call-up is gonna be a bench player anyway.

Now, if it's July/August, and you're in the hunt, then you have no choice but to bring up your stud prospect for a few weeks. Especially, if you're going to bring him up next season anyway.

Come the off-season, however, it gets very difficult. And very fun! I have to admit, I use an Excel spreadsheet for my franchise. I have every single player listed, as well as a dozen columns for stuff like OVR, AGE, POT, etc.

You always want to have a 5 year forecast for every position. If you have a 33 year old 3B, you better be thinking about finding a young prospect there. Or, if you have a 24 year old, 83 OVR catcher, you have to seriously consider trading your catching prospect for a 3B.

I never stockpile RPs. It is so easy to find stud RPs in free agency or at the deadline. You also have to take a hard look at your budget. Not just this current year but future years. If you have $30M in cap space this year, look at who is arbitration eligible, free agents, etc. next year. I'll have no problem spending $15M on a 1 year deal for a 90 OVR 38 year old closer. I'll get that money back next year.

Man, there is so many elements to think about. I really love franchise, especially this aspect. And especially if you actually play 100+ games a season. Then, going through all this is so much sweeter! Hmmm, what else... I always have a ton of pitching prospects in my system. I don't trust their durability, so I never have a lot of money invested in them. And I never trade away a good bat for one. I like having 7 quality starting pitchers per season. 2 in the minors that are #3 or #4 quality, and 5 on the 25 man roster that are #2 or #3 quality.

Any position player that is MLB ready but has low durability (under 80) is automatically trade bait. I'd much rather have a 90 durability player that is 5+ OVR worse. And those trades are pretty easy to pull off. But don't trade away very young, high potential players with low durability. They might surprise you and get a huge jump in just a single season.

Always take a look at the trade blocks all season long, whether you are a contender or a seller. There has been a few times, where I was cruising to the Playoffs, and at the trade deadline, traded a good veteran for a stud prospect. No matter where you are in the hunt, sometimes trade offers you get are too good to pass up.

But I would say the key is keeping everything tracked in a spreadsheet. You need to know what you're looking for next season and a few seasons down the road. You need to know where you are heavy and where you are light. I love stocking my minor leagues with a ton of 20 year old, B potential, 62 overall players. By age 24, half of them will be 80+ overall. And if you're lucky, you'll have an entire home grown, stud infield, like the Giants (Posey, Belt, Panik, Crawford, Duffy). Then, you'll have a boat load of money for free agents where you are weak.

I could go on and on for hours. This is hands down my favorite mode in this game, in any game for that matter. There's a lot more, like find high K/9 pitchers, balanced hitters (65-75 in contact and power), high vision and discipline hitters to work high pitch counts from pitchers, great infield D, ignore outfield D ability, platoon corner OFs since there is so many low overall outfielders that can crush just lefties or just righties, etc.

Last edited by Black59Razr; 04-28-2016 at 11:13 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »