Home

Zone hitting a disaster - question about directional

This is a discussion on Zone hitting a disaster - question about directional within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 09:16 PM   #41
#ITFDB

sbmnky's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Zone hitting a disaster - question about directional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I've had problems with Zone also. I'm hitting a ridiculous number of home runs but everything that stays in the ballpark is a easy fly ball or grounder. Everything I square up on either flies out of the ball park or is hit right to the corner infielders for an easy out.

I've only played about 20-30 games so I haven't gotten to the step where I figure out a solution... just sharing my experience. This is on HoF.
What are your sliders set to - I'm assuming contact, power, timing, and solid hits would contribute overall to what you're describing? Note: Not trying to turn this into a slider discussion.

And, have you tested this on other difficulties? The reason I ask about difficulty is that I see (at least I think so) more hit variety on AS+.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2016, 09:20 PM   #42
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmnky
What are your sliders set to - I'm assuming contact, power, timing, and solid hits would contribute overall to what you're describing? Note: Not trying to turn this into a slider discussion.

And, have you tested this on other difficulties? The reason I ask about difficulty is that I see (at least I think so) more hit variety on AS+.
Default sliders and Hall of Fame batting.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:20 AM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I've had problems with Zone also. I'm hitting a ridiculous number of home runs but everything that stays in the ballpark is a easy fly ball or grounder. Everything I square up on either flies out of the ball park or is hit right to the corner infielders for an easy out.

I've only played about 20-30 games so I haven't gotten to the step where I figure out a solution... just sharing my experience. This is on HoF.
This is spot on accurate! This has been my experience with this years game. Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but I'm getting extremely frustrated and tired of adjusting things to find some hit variety. In truth I don't think I ever loved the idea of zone batting but this year seems really different to me. I'd prefer more of a quadrant batting style or even a cursor batting style. I play on legend with max pitch speed which comes with its own set of issues. For those saying why make it so hard on yourself any level lower than that just produces easy contact for me. I like pitch speed maxed because (it's harder to make contact) if I'm late reacting it produces a jam shot which produces a hit that looks like a contact swing. Having to swing contact to see more hit variety is just silly to me because once again contact makes the ball easier to hit. I'm desperately trying to find a way to adjust the sliders to produce contact/normal swing type of hits just taking a normal swing. I've played this game from the very first one and have always been able to look past my perceived deficiencies of zone hitting but this year something is really different. Every game I play my hits are exactly as you described in your post. If you have any suggestions please let me know.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #44
Rookie

Aviator87AC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acts 4 12
...Every game I play my hits are exactly as you described in your post. If you have any suggestions please let me know...
Ditch zone and go directional. Seriously, zone is a mess this year. I started a new RTTS last night with directional and wow, I'm actually having fun. Finally, some simulation like baseball. Sure I'll get the occasional 0 for, but I'm consistently hitting the ball in random places, like the real game. I have a tendency, as most hitters do, but no longer the predictable lineout, flyout each AB.

I think a lot of the people defending zone are riding perks on lower difficulties.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:38 PM   #45
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator87AC
Ditch zone and go directional. Seriously, zone is a mess this year. I started a new RTTS last night with directional and wow, I'm actually having fun. Finally, some simulation like baseball. Sure I'll get the occasional 0 for, but I'm consistently hitting the ball in random places, like the real game. I have a tendency, as most hitters do, but no longer the predictable lineout, flyout each AB.

I think a lot of the people defending zone are riding perks on lower difficulties.
Zone works just fine for me and I play on HOF default. I get great hit variety.

Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean that it doesn't work for anyone else. It also doesn't mean that those people are playing on lower difficulties or defending it just because they are able to use something that you don't.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2016, 02:45 PM   #46
Rookie

Aviator87AC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Zone works just fine for me and I play on HOF default. I get great hit variety.

Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean that it doesn't work for anyone else. It also doesn't mean that those people are playing on lower difficulties or defending it just because they are able to use something that you don't.
lol it doesn't work for anyone else, people using zone are the minority this year. Read the replies here and on SCE's Facebook - gobs of people saying the same thing. You are confusing individual challenge with simulation baseball.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:46 PM   #47
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator87AC
lol it doesn't work for anyone else, people using zone are the minority this year. Read the replies here and on SCE's Facebook - gobs of people saying the same thing. You are confusing individual challenge with simulation baseball.
Yeah that is what I'm doing. And I read thru this thread, a fair amount of people disagreed with you and your thoughts on zone and even offered tips on how to help. And just because other people agree with your opinion, once again, doesn't mean that they are right and those who use zone are wrong. Just like using zone doesn't make you right over those using directional. It just means there are people who choose to play the game different ways and find a better "simulation" of the game using one hitting method over the other.

But I get this thread its either everyone agrees with your opinion or they are wrong.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 05-05-2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:03 PM   #48
Rookie

Aviator87AC's Arena

You probably throw gobs of TD's with Carr in Madden too and think it's fine.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »