Home

MLB The Show 16 Bullpen Tuning Details in Patch 1.04

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 Bullpen Tuning Details in Patch 1.04 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2016, 11:30 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Bullpen tuning in patch 1.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SCEA
I don't know where else to put this, but these are some changes for the patch. At the time of the patch I had to move on to work on other fixes, so I couldn't clarify these details until now.

* CPU managers will let starters pitch slightly longer in various situations. They're less likely to pull starters over individual runners on base.
* In simulated games, CPU managers will pull starters slightly sooner. I.e. games you sim on the front end and fast forward (both RTTS and manual).
* When a closer hasn't played in 3 or more days, the CPU may make them play regardless of the save situation to give them work.
* As a result of the two previous changes, starters will pitch fewer total IP (and IP/G), while relievers and closers will play more games.
* Other changes to how CPU managers manage relief pitchers in certain situations. These are all tuning changes.
thank you. and is it possible to increase the size of the green-colored, stamina circle when we go to view our bullpen while we are in-game - instead of just before we start the ballgame ?

once again - thank you

oh, .... and could you please fix runners not advancing from second base to third base when there is a ground-out to the right side of the infield, when you are simulating in the fast-forward screen, while playing a game ? they never, ever advance with zero or one out, as they should.

and there is also proof of this in the game logs as well. I have begged for this for like five years and the bug is still there.

thanks

Last edited by SPU32; 05-04-2016 at 11:38 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2016, 11:52 PM   #26
Banned

And maybe for MLB 17, you could add a slot in PR that says "SIT" for a situational lefty.
It would be great if your sim engine could be akin to OOTP.
Thank you soooo much for caring about Sim Baseball.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:03 AM   #27
All Star

Quote:
I don't know where else to put this, but these are some changes for the patch. At the time of the patch I had to move on to work on other fixes, so I couldn't clarify these details until now.

* CPU managers will let starters pitch slightly longer in various situations. They're less likely to pull starters over individual runners on base.
* In simulated games, CPU managers will pull starters slightly sooner. I.e. games you sim on the front end and fast forward (both RTTS and manual).
* When a closer hasn't played in 3 or more days, the CPU may make them play regardless of the save situation to give them work.
* As a result of the two previous changes, starters will pitch fewer total IP (and IP/G), while relievers and closers will play more games.
* Other changes to how CPU managers manage relief pitchers in certain situations. These are all tuning changes.

Want few questions I have about this. 1. You said patch number that is already out so was that just missing from the patch notes? Or did you mean this was going to be in the next patch? 2. Will CPU use left righty matchups now? 3. Last thing will CPU pitchers not come out of the bullpen and pitch like 3 innings all the time?
Old 05-05-2016, 12:08 AM   #28
All Star

Quote:
I'll take a look at CG stats in general next time I have a chance. The stat depends heavily on subjective "borderline" criteria.

The main focus of my changes were on IP/G and the fact that every starter would go an extra half inning per game. That adds up and heavily affects SV and G for relievers and also ends up potentially hiding other logic issues. The original problem was parts of this simming logic is shared for in-game manager decisions, so I had to fix things regardless of if I actually wanted to, in order to address in-game issues.

In other words, in-game logic was pulling starters too soon for one set of reasons, sim logic was letting starters play a little too long for another set. I'll take another look but at the end of the day, you have to balance between IP, IP/G, SV, and G versus CG from what it sounds like.

Sounds like a lot of hard work keep up the great work you guys.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:25 AM   #29
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Aww man, so you're saying I need to re-tune my SP stamina/RP stamina/manager hook sliders? lol, I had them perfect for the old AI. Oh well, thanks for the fixes.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:38 AM   #30
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Hmm...maybe not so fast on that hook/stamina slider combo bombing IP:

Again, starter stamina minimum, hook maximum
Spoiler

That, honestly, is not bad. And I've had a few sims now that look very close to this as far as the leaders go. CG's have been very, very close to looking like real life numbers with this setting. I've probably got a little leeway to even lower hook or raise stamina to get a few more IP, and not throw anything too far out of whack.

Definitely want to hear Tabarnes' thoughts on this since he's the sim guy.

You can get good starting IP with the starter stamina and hook slider before and after the patch but it also causes another problem that I have yet to find a way to fix. That is when you lower the starters IP those IP that they lose are not spread out evenly enough with the bullpen guys so you end up having way to many IP but bullpen guys and way to many games to. I have been running test tonight and ever time I get the starter IP down to a good amount then I am having a lot of bullpen guys with like 100-120 innings and guys pitching in like 130 games. Like I just did a sim with starter stamina at 3 and reliever stamina at 3 and hook at 10 and I had 23 guys with 200 or more IP not a bad number I think in a normal year you have about 30 guys. How ever 32 relief guys threw 80 or more innings with the most being 106.1. Last year in real life the most games innings by a relief pitcher was like 80-82. 27 guys threw 100 or more games out of the bullpen again last year most was only about 80 in real life. So if you get starter IP down then relief pitchers numbers go way way up. So right now it looks like the choice is either have way to many IP by starter or have way to many by relief pitchers. Also I think Closer are getting to many saves. Like ever sim I do I have at least one guy with 57-60 saves and a lot of games with 45-55. This games sim engine for team states and for hitting stats is just about perfect but its pitching stats could use some work. I guess that is not really unexpected though because in game CPU bullpen is like the only thing game play wise that is not just about perfect.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:15 AM   #31
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
I agree, I'd like to work on this more. I'm curious what's important to people: totaled stats, individual game behavior, or situational behavior (division, playoffs, multi-game situations). CG and IP are an example of total stats, "managers pull starters too soon" is individual game, and the closer not getting enough work is a combination of total stats and situational behavior (i.e. the solution requires multi-game thinking).

The problem is, every person I've asked this to will give me a different answer, so it's hard to know whether I'm working on something hard to notice instead of something more important. I'm guessing I can probably work on this two weeks at the most.

I guess that calls for a poll? I'll follow up in a few weeks.
Is the "poll" officially open right now in this thread?

If so, I'd have to vote for individual game behaviour modified appropriately by situational behaviour, as both are equally essential. The total stats should follow real-life stats reasonably well, if CPU's starters/bullpen usage resembles real-life managers closer at all. (Note the British spelling of behaviour for emphasis.....)

For example, one of the reasons why CGs are high in game I think is that CPU manager tends to leave his starter in regardless of pitch count, when the team is up by 4 runs (or 5... am not exactly sure of the exact threshold) and the starter is allowing few runs... so some starters end up with pitch count of 140 or even 150 in those blow out games. Quite often I see those starters left in too long get exhausted (zero energy), start walking or getting hit hard in the 9th inning, only to end up creating a save situation and eventually relieved anyways (8.1 & 8.2 innings pitched....). This is from CPU vs. CPU games, and not simmed games though (although I hope manager AI isn't too different in those game modes...). There may be other criteria being used by CPU to decide whether to pull starter or not, but these days pitch count is rather strictly enforced (except in special circumstances... no hitters, etc.), which CPU manager should consider more...

Thank you Brian for great attention to detail as always! I hope the "two weeks" timetable is for a patch and not for the next year's game though...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2016, 03:16 AM   #32
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Hmm...maybe not so fast on that hook/stamina slider combo bombing IP:

Again, starter stamina minimum, hook maximum

Do you think just raising hook could be enough? I tried hook on 7 and started my game, then backed out so I can see the results.

I checked a couple boxes and saw some guys going just 5 or 6 innings despite good starts. Kershaw went 6 while allowing just 2 runs. He had 3 out of 4 CGs before that.

In game play, it didn't seem to mess with the AI too much. He took the starter out when getting into trouble with a 4-2 losing score, which seemed reasonable. Just one game, but I liked how it played as well as those few box scores I saw.

Yeah, I know, I can just manipulate back and forth between sim and no sim, but I don't want to add any more steps to my (limited) game time. I stay up (too) late as it is to play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »