Home

Franchise Retirements

This is a discussion on Franchise Retirements within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-05-2016, 01:31 PM   #1
Rookie

IUThor40's Arena

OVR: 0
Franchise Retirements

I don't know the specifics on why and when players retire, and if this has already been posted, please delete.

But I'm entering Year 4 of my franchise. In the last two offseasons, a large group of players ages 34-36 have retired. This includes players coming off of great seasons (Cole Hamels, for instance, at 35 after coming off a 19-win season). It's a significant number - about 30 or so players each of the past two offseasons retired at in that age range (with 35 seemingly being the magic number).

Has anyone else encountered this?
Indiana Pacers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2016, 03:47 PM   #2
Rookie

tebowtime15's Arena

Re: Franchise Retirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUThor40
I don't know the specifics on why and when players retire, and if this has already been posted, please delete.

But I'm entering Year 4 of my franchise. In the last two offseasons, a large group of players ages 34-36 have retired. This includes players coming off of great seasons (Cole Hamels, for instance, at 35 after coming off a 19-win season). It's a significant number - about 30 or so players each of the past two offseasons retired at in that age range (with 35 seemingly being the magic number).

Has anyone else encountered this?
Happened to me as well. I restarted and before my new one I gave most of the older guys like Hamels a longer contract. Not sure what else to try but it's very frustrating.
Orlando Magic
Old 05-05-2016, 05:25 PM   #3
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

If you change the potential to an A potential there is a less probability they retire.

From what I have seen A potential players with decent ratings have a higher probability of not retiring.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2016, 10:22 AM   #4
Rookie

IUThor40's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19
If you change the potential to an A potential there is a less probability they retire.

From what I have seen A potential players with decent ratings have a higher probability of not retiring.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
How well does that work?
Indiana Pacers
Old 05-09-2016, 10:56 AM   #5
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUThor40
How well does that work?

Retirements are based on a dice roll of age, overall and potential. Other factors determine the percentage chance of retirement.

Also a player under contract won't retire unless injured.

I don't know what the percentages are, but this year I have seen more players than ever with A potential and higher overall stick around.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2016, 09:59 PM   #6
Rookie

micklepickle's Arena

I like to save right before I start the offseason so I check the retirements and make sure nothing crazy happens. I've seen really good players who had 6+ month injuries retire that normally would return the next season. I like to remove some of the injuries so that I don't have to worry about hinky retirements.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:11 AM   #7
Rookie

bigdaddykraven's Arena

OVR: 4

They've made great improvements but retirements and the rolls behind them need to be redone. There's no way so many people still in the 80s ratings wise, coming off career years would retire at 34 years old. Honestly, unless the guy is a journeyman, AAAA type guy or something like that, he shouldn't even consider retiring until 36.

I just finished a season with 16 guys between 34-36 who retired and were starter level both in stats and overall. One guy was a CY Young runner up (retired at 34) while another 2 guys were in the race for MVP, one guy had a career year.

If it needs to be unrealistic one way or another, I'd much rather have guys staying too long. With the improved progression system they'll be moved out of the game naturally anyway.

The way it runs now I feel like they are doing a D20 dice rolls once the guy gets to 34 and if his contract is up anything but a 1 rolled is retirement. Honestly this and the lack of full record/historical leader lists are the only things I don't like about franchise (and RTTS to a lesser extent).
Old 05-10-2016, 01:01 AM   #8
MVP

Houston's Arena

If you clear out single Afor all 30 teams with default pitcher & default batter you will see less retirements. You half to have spots available for the new draftees coming into the league is why more players will retire and age is a factor, but if u make the necessary room I think it will prevent the big names from retiring.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »