Home

Poor bat-ball physics have a major affect on hitting & pitching

This is a discussion on Poor bat-ball physics have a major affect on hitting & pitching within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2016, 08:43 PM   #25
Pro

OVR: 24
Re: Poor bat-ball physics have a major affect on hitting & pitching

I've not had much problem pulling pitches, and I've definitely not had much problem having the CPU pull pitches against me.

I do have my complaints with the ball physics, but this is not one of them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2016, 10:07 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Poor bat-ball physics have a major affect on hitting & pitching

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
That game didn't go like you are describing at all.

Both Volquez and Harvey were allowing hits from the onset, about one per half inning, not so hardly hit but mostly on the pull side. In fact I don't remember any of them went "inside-out" which used to happen (perhaps prior to MLB 13?)... instead, we now tend to pop up inside pitches a lot, when you are late...

I used Pulse on Legend, since I thought Pulse might be the most accurate interface this year (and I'm not very good at using Analog or Meter anyways). But I actually used sliders that give slight boost to CPU, because CPU's offense is quite a bit "nerfed" with sliders at default this year... Perhaps I should've used sliders at default just for this testing.

Perhaps I'm just confusing things by claiming that this is not a physics issue because people use the term physics very liberally here in this forum, but what I personally mean by "physics" is literally solving physical equations. But I realize that's not a very meaningful distinction as it doesn't really matter to us how the game is coded anyways... it's the outcome that matters.

I think it makes things harder to discuss this issue if the OP hasn't played MLB 13 - 15... as there has been quite a "swing" in how pitch/swing timing has been calibrated in those recent iterations of The Show... MLB 13 was the weirdest of all (I did not like it at all), but since then I think one year was tighter (i.e., harder to catch up to high inside fastball) than another... and this year is kinda like MLB 13 in a sense that timing window isn't as tight (compared to MLB 15, which was pretty tight).

So if OP's claim is simply that it is a bit too easy to pull in MLB 16, then I totally agree... I think it should be a little bit tighter (but perhaps not as tight as MLB 15).

However I'm guessing that this is probably done because with the new Precision Input, perhaps the devs thought it would become harder to hit in general (because placing PCI accurately matters more), so the timing window might have been "overcorrected".

Just a speculation though.
Like a previous poster said, MLB 12 was spot-on with timing with regards to hitting. That's really is crux of a baseball game. Why even mess with it if it was basically perfect? When I made contact in 12, I knew exactly where the ball was going to go (direction-wise) in that moment from contact to the camera switching to the field view. I could hit that grounder to the right side to move runners with ease and even online (when most players cheesed with the bunt). In 16, I swing and I feel like I waited back and everything, and I'm pulling the ball (not just slightly, but pulling it foul). Then, I go to the replay and I see the bat crossing the plate exactly how I felt I swung but the ball going in a direction that doesn't make sense. On that David Ross fly ball foul (in the Youtube video), I felt like waited back well, then I go to the replay and the bat doesn't even fully cross the plate on point of contact so the ball should go just ever so slightly to the opposite field, yet it's pulled foul.

Whether the math is off or something else, the timing at the plate just isn't right. Maybe they overcompensated for TV input lag. I purposefully bought an HDTV on the smaller side that uses a monitor panel so it has very very low input lag. I played The Show on PS3 on a SDTV so there was no input lag in fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I've not had much problem pulling pitches, and I've definitely not had much problem having the CPU pull pitches against me.

I do have my complaints with the ball physics, but this is not one of them.
It's not an issue of pulling pitches. It's an issue of hitting inside pitches on the black or near the black with authority to the pull field and not going foul. I pull pitches I'm "late" on as shown in the Youtube video in my first post.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »