Home

Franchise drafting/scouting question.

This is a discussion on Franchise drafting/scouting question. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-14-2016, 10:18 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Franchise drafting/scouting question.

I keep mine on auto scout. I have good success and some bad picks. I havnt seen to many big time prospects late. Albeit I'm just starting my second season. In my 6 team control offline franchise, my best picks were a CL for Boston in the first round A potential with 90 overall potential and with Atlanta I took a 2B in the second round who was a B potential player who started out 81 overall. After that, bunch of B and C prospect
Old 05-17-2016, 01:46 PM   #10
Pro

sccavs64's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjake
Quick question that I didn't see answered anywhere so my apologies is if it was, but I was curious about something. I heavily play franchise mode and enjoy building my teams from the draft up. I skipped out on The Show 15 because 14 had a giant problem with the drafting to me. I would be able to land A potential guys in all rounds of the draft every year. After year 5 in my franchise I'd basically have 20 A potential players while the CPU and other teams basically had none. Has anyone gone deep into franchise mode and seen if it's a bit more balanced?

I got to the draft in my first year, as the A's so I had the 4th overall pick where I netted a 99 potential overall catcher. In rounds 3-5 I landed 87, 85, and 89 potential pitchers. I went and looked at the computers drafts and it was full of 70's and it has more worried there won't be enough balance.

There are still some issues IMO but it's definitely more balanced out than last year, no question about it. I've even caught myself a few times cursing out the TV because a CPU team drafted a prospect I found with great late-round value, which I don't remember seeing in previous versions

I think the fact that potentials change over the course of seasons helps the balance. I'm in 2019 with the Phillies and there's only 1 drafted prospect who is under 25 years old with a 90+ overall and he's a SP on my team, but his overall is inflated due to having a BB/9 rating of 99, which has no effect on everything since I play all my games. His overall should really be an 85 or so.

The CPU still has issues drafting in later rounds, but for the most part, their rounds 1-3 are full of solid picks. I don't ever see studs being available in rounds 5-7 as frequently as last year. Last year was so ridiculous, you could find a All-Star caliber player in round 7 with your eyes closed.

Last edited by sccavs64; 05-17-2016 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:14 PM   #11
Rookie

consecutive27's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
For those of you who are many more seasons ahead of myself have you scouted any Canadians yet? I don't seem to have any pop up when scouting international markets, plenty from the Netherlands though. Albeit I have two concurrent seasons both only in year one to judge off of.
I drafted a Canadian in the first round one year, solid player too. I am pretty sure I have seen a few others, but that one I am sure of.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2016, 07:40 AM   #12
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Here are the results from rounds 1-3 of my first draft. I am the Twins at #15 in round 1.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I don't feel like it's too easy at all. I snagged a stud with my first pick but it was luck. The 2nd round catcher has a low ceiling but is a guy who can play soon.

I felt it was pretty balanced and I don't feel I dominated the league. My #15 pick made my draft, period. I took the highest OVR guy in the draft, so that felt good. He wasn't scouted on my screen at all. It was the small sliver of red to indicate unscouted.

My guys were...

OVR & POT

75 88 - Projected #1-2 SP
71 78 - Low avg power hitting C with avg D skills
46 83 - 22 yr old 1B who is rated too low to be anything other than career MiLB guy
51 81 - 22 yr old 2B who has an outside shot to be a guy in mid-late 20's
62 75 - 22 yr old LHP who could be a pen guy if his atts pan out
50 70 - 22 yr old C who probably won't be anything other than a MiLB guy
55 68 - MiLB arm at best

The blue chip guys all go first as they should. Then it's a crap shoot man.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)

Last edited by NDAlum; 05-18-2016 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:39 AM   #13
Pro

sccavs64's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum

Agreed ^^ Since the overall ratings for their attributes are correct regardless if you scout them or not, you pretty much just draft players with high overalls and hope they have good potentials as well since you don't have time to scout all the players.

Really wish they would allow you to start scouting in spring training, an extra 30 days of scouting would be super helpful.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:40 PM   #14
Rookie

IUThor40's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccavs64
...I've even caught myself a few times cursing out the TV because a CPU team drafted a prospect I found with great late-round value, which I don't remember seeing in previous versions
I've had the same thing. I'm actually into the draft this year. And there have been times where I'm hoping a guy falls, but the CPU takes them a few picks ahead of me. I want to throw my controller. But it's awesome that happens.
Indiana Pacers
Old 05-18-2016, 02:42 PM   #15
Rookie

IUThor40's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
It hasn't happened to me in every draft (I've completed 5), but in 2 of those 5 drafts, there were a handful of guys that were low 60s overall with A potential taken in the 3-6 rounds. That was nice to see as well.
Indiana Pacers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2016, 03:10 PM   #16
MVP

Potential doesn't tell the whole story. If the CPU is now paying attention to attributes instead of drafting high potential guys who are many years away from ever reaching MLB then it is an improvement.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »