Home

Pitcher Stamina in the Playoffs

This is a discussion on Pitcher Stamina in the Playoffs within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2016, 09:06 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 3
Re: Pitcher Stamina in the Playoffs

Now with SIX days rest since his last start, Sonny Gray has ~85% stamina

He pitched 7 innings in ALDS game 4, now slated to start ALCS game 3 a full week later and hasn't recovered full stamina

Awesome idea SDS

Edit: but Henderson Alvarez, who pitched ALDS game 5 two days after Sonny made his start, has the same stamina as Gray before ALCS game 3 (but still only has ~85% stamina after normal 4 days rest)

Last edited by HolyStroke3; 05-15-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:23 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Having just finished the playoffs, it seems like the way the game handles this is that your ace can pitch game one and game 5 and be at 85% stamina, plus or minus, for game 5. If you wanted to pitch your ace in games 1 and 4, you'd be at 55-65%.

Personally, I'm fine just knowing that I need to go into the playoffs with a rotation that I'm very confident in 1-4, and have my #5 and my long reliever just be average. I won the WS with the Dodgers and never had to start McCarthy in the entire playoffs.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:10 PM   #11
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Having just finished the playoffs, it seems like the way the game handles this is that your ace can pitch game one and game 5 and be at 85% stamina, plus or minus, for game 5. If you wanted to pitch your ace in games 1 and 4, you'd be at 55-65%.

Personally, I'm fine just knowing that I need to go into the playoffs with a rotation that I'm very confident in 1-4, and have my #5 and my long reliever just be average. I won the WS with the Dodgers and never had to start McCarthy in the entire playoffs.
But with your starter throwing game 5 on 85% rest, you can't really count on him to give you a quality start, can you?

Watch me play video games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2016, 10:19 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man

Yeah, and I think that's actually an improvement over last year. Seems like in MLB15, I was really feeling what folks were talking about with the stamina.

If I can throw my ace in 1 and 5...that's workable for me, even though not ideal if you want to push him. Ideally, game 4 would be that 85% day, imo.

As far as QS...it depends on the pitcher, but I think 85% of an ace should be able to get at least 6 strong innings, maybe 7+ if you wanted to push it/he's efficient with pitch counts.

I know with Boeve, my ace, I'd take him 85% over the rest of my staff. Granted, his ratings are pretty ridiculous, but still he could go 7 at least if he's on his game. If I make the playoffs with my fantasy Boston team, I'd take 85% of Sale. 6 IP, 8-9 H, 3 R, a couple walks and a handful of K's...that's good enough if the bats are awake and the pen is on point. Herrera/Tazawa for 7th, Chapman 8th, Familia 9th. That works.

Last edited by KBLover; 05-15-2016 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:40 PM   #13
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Yeah, it's just stupid to change how stamina works in the playoffs. It's not like the length of 24 hours is different in October than it is March-September.

I simply can't understand the reasoning behind this and it's infuriating that it wasn't actually fixed when the developers explicitly stated that it was.

Watch me play video games
Old 05-15-2016, 10:46 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
But with your starter throwing game 5 on 85% rest, you can't really count on him to give you a quality start, can you?
I can eek 6 innings out of Kershaw and Kazmir on short rest, perhaps more if they're pitching efficiently. It would be a draw on Ryu and Maeda and probably a no on McCarthy.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:32 AM   #15
Pro

OVR: 3

But the thing is it's not short rest. In some cases it's EXTRA rest and the starter still isn't even at 90% stamina

If your ace was going on 3 days it would be realistic to expect just a solid start, but when he has full or extra rest he shouldn't go into a game at 80 something percent stamina

I can see on regular 4 days having a slight stamina deduction because a starter has made 30+ starts (and I think I read that was part of the idea when this was implemented last year) but when a guy has SIX full days between starts, he should be at 100% stamina
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2016, 02:18 AM   #16
All Star

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyStroke3
Now with SIX days rest since his last start, Sonny Gray has ~85% stamina

He pitched 7 innings in ALDS game 4, now slated to start ALCS game 3 a full week later and hasn't recovered full stamina

Awesome idea SDS

Edit: but Henderson Alvarez, who pitched ALDS game 5 two days after Sonny made his start, has the same stamina as Gray before ALCS game 3 (but still only has ~85% stamina after normal 4 days rest)

Wow so a guy who had a longer rest had the same stamina as a guy who had less rest yeah that really makes since lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »