Home

MLB, Just Like The Show, Concerned About Time It Takes to Finish A Game

This is a discussion on MLB, Just Like The Show, Concerned About Time It Takes to Finish A Game within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-11-2016, 11:11 AM   #73
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB, Just Like The Show, Concerned About Time It Takes to Finish A Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
Let's not discount or forget how the presentation of the game has changed over the past 60 years. It is an entertainment event now...not just going to see a ballgame.

Your senses are assaulted between innings with ads, promotions, on field races, etc. Blurring the lines between watching on tv and being in the park. There is no reason for them to hurry up the game from an advertiser's point of view. You have a captive audience and longer games mean more food and drink sales, more items bought in gift stores, more people choosing to eat in the in house restaurants, etc.

They can try to speed up the game a bit, but make no mistake about it. Longer games bring more revenue for everyone involved.

C
Absolutely true. So where is the line drawn by MLB? I think they are selling more tickets to ball games than ever before. Yet you hear some people claiming the game is not cool enough, too slow blah blah blah etc.

Chris Rocks buffoonery (there is a video on his thoughts on baseball) about making the game more hip hop.....ughhh no. Baseball has it's own traditions and atmosphere for a reason. Much like Hockey too. Leave it alone. Baseball has it's core fans and many teams are doing just fine. Also baseball's pageantry has so many different types of players. So you do get Hip Hop, Rock, Country, Latin all types of cultures with how they have different walk up songs, high fives, attitudes, superstitions etc. Baseball is a melting pot of culture. I love it.

Last time I looked big metropolitan teams like the Met's, Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs, Cardinals, Giants are doing just fine. Even smaller market teams like the Pirates, Brewers, Twins etc are getting good attendance. Baseballs popularity may not be main street anymore, but there are enough core fans that the game is thriving just fine without having to change it's culture, tradition and rules. The game in it's truest form is perfect. Money and greed has ruined some things like it always does in every sport.

As far as those who claim they don't like baseball because of how slow it is? Well too bad. It's not for you then.

Meantime I can't watch a full NFL game start to finish anymore. The sheer amount of commercials, and replay timeouts borders on absurd. The wonderful thing about hockey and baseball is the stoppage in play is limited and we get a lot of on screen action. Even the NBA is pretty much fast paced. It only get's bogged down in the last 2 minutes LOL with all the fouls and timeouts. But those first 45-46 minutes rock.

Football? It's ridiculous now. Seriously without the Red Zone channel the NFL would be dead to me....I am totally serious. It is so bad now with stoppage of play in today's NFL. It's a joke. I simply flip to red zone on every stoppage during a broadcast game I am interested in watching. Commercial free NFL is great.

Baseball much like Hockey has become more of a niche sport. I am fine with that. And the owners of MLB will have to be....because if they start ****ing with our National Pastime they will lose most of their true die hard life long fans.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 10-11-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:26 AM   #74
Pro Sports Handicapper

bababooey76's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit
In my opinion, I wish they would just leave it alone (both MLB and Thein the Show) I don't watch or play a game of baseball because I'm in a hurry. When I'm at the park with a cold beer, hot dog and a score book, I have NEVER thought "this game is just taking too long"

I am the same way with The Show. I never jump scenes, fast forward thru innings. I just want to relax and enjoy a game of baseball. I even just put the controller down at times just so the idle animations will play.

There is enough, hurry up, instant gratification and self entitlement in the world today. Leave it out of Baseball.
They want to change things to appeal to short attention span folks at the expense at the true fans, purists. Baseball is not for everyone. It sounds snobbish, but it requires a certain intellect and right make up to really get the game and all the nuances that true fans appreciate. To a true fan, there is nothing more beautiful than stepping foot into a stadium and seeing that green grass.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:38 PM   #75
All Star

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
Absolutely true. So where is the line drawn by MLB? I think they are selling more tickets to ball games than ever before. Yet you hear some people claiming the game is not cool enough, too slow blah blah blah etc.

Chris Rocks buffoonery (there is a video on his thoughts on baseball) about making the game more hip hop.....ughhh no. Baseball has it's own traditions and atmosphere for a reason. Much like Hockey too. Leave it alone. Baseball has it's core fans and many teams are doing just fine. Also baseball's pageantry has so many different types of players. So you do get Hip Hop, Rock, Country, Latin all types of cultures with how they have different walk up songs, high fives, attitudes, superstitions etc. Baseball is a melting pot of culture. I love it.

Last time I looked big metropolitan teams like the Met's, Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs, Cardinals, Giants are doing just fine. Even smaller market teams like the Pirates, Brewers, Twins etc are getting good attendance. Baseballs popularity may not be main street anymore, but there are enough core fans that the game is thriving just fine without having to change it's culture, tradition and rules. The game in it's truest form is perfect. Money and greed has ruined some things like it always does in every sport.

As far as those who claim they don't like baseball because of how slow it is? Well too bad. It's not for you then.

Meantime I can't watch a full NFL game start to finish anymore. The sheer amount of commercials, and replay timeouts borders on absurd. The wonderful thing about hockey and baseball is the stoppage in play is limited and we get a lot of on screen action. Even the NBA is pretty much fast paced. It only get's bogged down in the last 2 minutes LOL with all the fouls and timeouts. But those first 45-46 minutes rock.

Football? It's ridiculous now. Seriously without the Red Zone channel the NFL would be dead to me....I am totally serious. It is so bad now with stoppage of play in today's NFL. It's a joke. I simply flip to red zone on every stoppage during a broadcast game I am interested in watching. Commercial free NFL is great.

Baseball much like Hockey has become more of a niche sport. I am fine with that. And the owners of MLB will have to be....because if they start ****ing with our National Pastime they will lose most of their true die hard life long fans.

NBA is my favorite sport to watch NFL is a close second and I like to watch NHL to but I don't know like half of the rules. Baseball I only watch come playoffs and only if Giants are in it. There is only so much time in the day and with work, school, sleep and keeping up on NBA, NFL, NHL there is only so much time to watch MLB and on top of that when MLB starts playoffs are just around the Conner for NBA. They all have to many breaks though. The problem with NFL is that a team will score and then you get a time out. Then after the time out you get a kickoff that takes like 5 seconds and then another time out lol. If instead of having a time out after the kick off you just had the one time out after the score and then did the kick off and wanted to have the next time out after the kick return team scores or punts or what ever the game could be a lot faster. With MLB I don't think there is any thing you can really do in less you either don't have a 3 minute time out after ever half inning and just go back to playing a minute later like has soon has the teams get back into the field or make it so you can have has many pitching changes. The pitching changes are the big one. In the old days a lot of times each team would only use like 3 pitchers. Now a lot of times each team will use like 6 pitchers. If each team uses 3 more pitches that is 6 more used in a game over all. If each one of those adds 2 minutes that is a extra 12 minutes to the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2016, 12:43 AM   #76
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:

Same here. I can't watch on regular channels anymore. Makes it hard to watch SNF, MNF, TNF.

Granted commentators in sports...at least the ones in my market and on the "main" channels...are just hard for me the more I learn about the sports I follow.

Quote:

And not necessarily attract the "new" ones they want either.

Granted, I don't understand the time thing. I mean if they shave 10-15 minutes off a game...A game might take 3:15 instead of 3:30? Yay?

What was I going to do with those 15 minutes (that would be broken up between periodic pauses...not like there's this 15-minute block of time they could take out) that a) I couldn't have done anyway, or b) if it's that important, I'm probably not devoting 3 hr block to watch a game?
Old 10-17-2016, 03:43 AM   #77
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Aren't the in-between innings of MiLB thirty seconds shorter than MLB because of lack commercials ? I think I have heard that before but now I'm not sure .

A Work in Progress

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »