Home

MLB, Just Like The Show, Concerned About Time It Takes to Finish A Game

This is a discussion on MLB, Just Like The Show, Concerned About Time It Takes to Finish A Game within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-17-2016, 06:29 PM   #17
Dead Solid Perfect

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB, Just Like The Show, Concerned About Time It Takes to Finish A Game

I'm not quoting verbatim, but:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Baseball games are getting longer this season...According to ESPN...average length of MLB games have increased by 4 minutes from 2015 to 2016...yada yada ...it adds up to 10.8 hours more for the fan who watches all 162 games of a teams season....blah blah blah
I seriously doubt there is any fan out there, when he realises he's watched 486 hours of his teams season, wishes he had only watched 476 hours instead, & saved that 10.8 hours on something more meaningful, like playing the Show, or posting on OS lmgdao

Syracuse #44
Old 05-17-2016, 06:44 PM   #18
RLB
Rookie

RLB's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
I'm not quoting verbatim, but:

I seriously doubt there is any fan out there, when he realises he's watched 486 hours of his teams season, wishes he had only watched 476 hours instead, & saved that 10.8 hours on something more meaningful, like playing the Show, or posting on OS lmgdao
Let's see.....10.8 hours x 4 beers per hour x $8.00 per beer........that would save me about $345 per year.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:48 PM   #19
Dead Solid Perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLB
Let's see.....10.8 hours x 4 beers per hour x $8.00 per beer........that would save me about $345 per year.

That would save me, oh... about... $0 per year.
There are three times that are perfect for drinking a beer:
1) Before a game
2) During a game
3) After a game

Syracuse #44
Old 05-17-2016, 06:55 PM   #20
Rookie

WhiteBunny's Arena

Well, i'm a big soccer fan. It's my first love and i follow the whole season of my beloved team ( F.C. Inter ). In my country - Italy - nobody play or watch baseball. Nobody knows a thing about baseball. It's like talking about aliens or weird stuff nobody cares.
I'm a baseball fan since three years now. Strangely enough, i enjoy a lot the fact that i can take my time while watching a game: washing dishes, cooking and stuff like this. It's so relaxing. It's my three hours zen moment. I'm not concerned at all about the peace of play, maybe because i'm an outsider.
So here it's what i feel. Soccer isn't so popular in US because it isn't a very profitable sport commercial wise: there's not enough space and time to fill a game with ads and sponsor. There's one big break once a game and that's it. In baseball you get 14-15 breaks which you can fill with a lot of spots, sponsor and ads. That's a lot of money. And while they are concerned about time, they don't want to lose money. It makes perfect sense but maybe it's one of the reason why a game takes so long.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:52 PM   #21
Rookie

brushbackpitch's Arena

Leave the game alone! It's pure in its truest form. Because people today don't have the attention span to truly watch and understand the game doesn't mean it needs to be changed. It means that it will have a different, breed of fan.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2016, 07:56 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBunny
It makes perfect sense but maybe it's one of the reason why a game takes so long.

Yeah, it's like why does an hour long game of (NFL) football take 3+ hours to play? The TV timeouts don't help.

But all MLB has to do is use Statcast to figure out the most common count where there's "action" (ball in play) and implement Quick Counts. Give the home plate umpire an app that generates a random number from 0-3 for balls and 0-2 for strikes with the bell curve centered around that "most common" count.

Then when a batter steps in the box, the ump uses the app and announces the count.

Or just have every batter be in a 3-2 count. Then it's almost like one-pitch mode. You get action on every pitch (either a K, a BB, a ball in play, or a swing and foul).

I better stop before MLB gets ideas LOL.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:10 PM   #23
Dead Solid Perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushbackpitch
Leave the game alone! It's pure in its truest form. Because people today don't have the attention span to truly watch and understand the game doesn't mean it needs to be changed. It means that it will have a different, breed of fan.
No MLB game today is anywhere near it's most pure & true form, yet because it's the greatest game ever invented, even today's bastardised MLBl is still better than any other game IMO

Syracuse #44
Old 05-17-2016, 09:06 PM   #24
Rookie

Ruben2424's Arena

I'm a hardcore Baseball fan so I say leave Baseball the way it is!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »