Home

MLB, Just Like The Show, Concerned About Time It Takes to Finish A Game

This is a discussion on MLB, Just Like The Show, Concerned About Time It Takes to Finish A Game within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2016, 01:20 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: MLB, Just Like The Show, Concerned About Time It Takes to Finish A Game

I never understand these time saver discussions if it's not more than 10-15 minutes. Sure 4 minutes a game made up to 10+ additional hours, but that's not how time works.

You can't add all those minutes together and use them at once. It's 4 minutes today and 4 minutes the next day. So it's up the individual. "What else could I be using these 4 minutes for? Going to the bathroom?"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2016, 01:28 PM   #42
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit
In my opinion, I wish they would just leave it alone (both MLB and Thein the Show) I don't watch or play a game of baseball because I'm in a hurry. When I'm at the park with a cold beer, hot dog and a score book, I have NEVER thought "this game is just taking too long"

I am the same way with The Show. I never jump scenes, fast forward thru innings. I just want to relax and enjoy a game of baseball. I even just put the controller down at times just so the idle animations will play.

There is enough, hurry up, instant gratification and self entitlement in the world today. Leave it out of Baseball.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 05-20-2016, 06:26 PM   #43
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

I want to see everything at all times in real time.

That's why God created the X button.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 05-21-2016, 01:03 AM   #44
All Star

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
The issue for me in all 3 major sports are the tv timeouts. I understand that advertising helps to pay the bills...but i hate being at a college football game and the action having to be stopped due to tv timeouts...you add to that how long it takes for replays and such...and a game that used to last 2 hours is now a 3+ hour game. As for baseball, growing up baseball was my favorite sport. I couldnt get enough of it and it didnt matter how long it took. But now, at age 40, maybe my attention span is not as long anymore; but it just seems like games are way longer than it used to be. Playing The Show on broadcast w/o QC's and the game lasts 2 hours...and this is a video game!! I would love to play this game to its fulness...but with limited time as a family man and having a fulltime job, in order for me to maximize my playing time, i have to use QC's and skip some cutscenes. I appreciate Sony for considering that.

Yeah like I said its about TV and or time out breaks. A average NBA game is like 2 hours and 30 minutes and like a hour and 50 with out breaks. So that is an extra 40 minutes because of time outs and TV breaks. NHL is about the same only they have 2 like half time breaks with doing period breaks. So if you take that extra break the game would be shorter. NFL is about 3 hours and about 2 hours and 20 with out breaks. I always thought it was silly that in NFL they will come back from a break and do a kickoff something that takes like 5 seconds and then go to another break. Its like really? You cant just keep going in till the next punt happens or TD or turnover? That is about a extra 40 minutes. MLB is about 3 hours and about 2 hours and 30 with out breaks so like a extra 30 minutes because of breaks. I don't buy that the pitch clock really saves 16 minutes a game no way. Like I said most of the time pitchers don't take that long to make a pitch. I don't see less mound visits really making the game that much faster either. Its not like you see mound visits ever inning. For the most part you only see them when they are buying time for a pitcher to warm up or the pitcher is having a ruff inning. Even if they do save a minute or so they are not going to save as much time as you would save not having TV breaks.

When you have guys come in and pitch to one batter and then have a new pitcher come in that is a extra break. I also think just like how in NFL they go to break after a kick off in MLB I think they don't really need to go to break in between innings when a team goes back into the field after hitting. I think once a team is done batting they could just go into the field and things could start back up after like 1 minute in stead of like a 3 minute TV break. Also this is just how things on TV work. If you watch a TV show that is a hour long with out the TV breaks it is like 42 minutes. If you watch a 30 minute TV show it is like 21 with out the breaks. There are just to many breaks on TV. Last a average collage football game is like 3 and a half hours longer then NFL, MLB, NBA or NHL and I don't think I see people complaining about that as much as I do with the baseball thing.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:59 AM   #45
Rookie

The one thing that surprises me as never being brought up with pace of game stories in MLB, is relievers getting 8 warmup pitches once they're out on the field. The guy's just spent time in the bullpen, and theoretically the manager wouldn't be bringing him if he wasn't ready, so why does he get more time?

So let's say an average game features 3 relievers on each team, let's say it takes each of them about 2 minutes to throw the warmups, and you've knocked 12 minutes off the average game. You can even still have it in place that if it's an obvious injury situation, the guy coming in still gets to throw a few warmup pitches, but when Jeurys Familia has spent the entire bottom of the 8th warming up, does he really need those extra 8 pitches when he goes out there top 9?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2016, 01:20 AM   #46
Just started!

Enforce the pitch clock, shorten the time between innings, you can visit the pitchers mound just twice per game, batter stays in the box or the pitcher can throw the next pitch, pitcher stays on the mound and can only step off if a runners on, eliminate every unwritten rule especially quick pitching, and make it 3 balls for a walk. 3 and you're out, 3 and you walk.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:03 AM   #47
RLB
Rookie

RLB's Arena

I would leave the game be as it is, it is a great game. I have yet to see armed guards making anyone have to sit thru an entire game, those that need to leave have clearly marked exit signs to use. Everyone else has an off button on their remote control.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:45 AM   #48
MVP

OVR: 3
Two words

Corporate Interests

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »