Home

MLB, Just Like The Show, Concerned About Time It Takes to Finish A Game

This is a discussion on MLB, Just Like The Show, Concerned About Time It Takes to Finish A Game within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-11-2016, 03:01 AM   #65
MIB Crew

rspencer86's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: MLB, Just Like The Show, Concerned About Time It Takes to Finish A Game

I'm all for cleaning up unnecessary delays in the game. But making rules about the number of pitching changes allowed, pitch clocks, etc... it's a foolish idea to believe that these things are what is keeping more people from enjoying the game of baseball.

University of Missouri '09
Twitter: @RyanASpencer

Royals / Chiefs / Bulls / Mizzou / Sporting KC

PSN: MizzouTigerrr
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2016, 06:13 AM   #66
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Commercials have nothing to do with it in baseball. Commercials happen when there is already no play going on (in between innings when the pitcher is warming up).

You will never go to a baseball game and see an umpire holding up play because they are waiting for a commercial to end like you will see with football and hockey.
Commercials have EVERYTHING to do with the length of games. Back in the 50s and 60s my teams home games started at 8:15pm. The games were usually over and I was home before 11pm. In those days there was one short commercial between each half inning. Compare that to games being played in 2016. The same is true for football. NCAA Division 3 games are much shorter than Division 1 games that are on television. The reason? Tons of commercials during each stoppage of play.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:08 AM   #67

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by armymule
Commercials have EVERYTHING to do with the length of games. Back in the 50s and 60s my teams home games started at 8:15pm. The games were usually over and I was home before 11pm. In those days there was one short commercial between each half inning. Compare that to games being played in 2016. The same is true for football. NCAA Division 3 games are much shorter than Division 1 games that are on television. The reason? Tons of commercials during each stoppage of play.
And again, comparing it to football is just proving my point.

As previously pointed out there is a timer which is the amount of time a pitcher gets between innings.

It has nothing to do with commercials.

Our choice during those two minutes is to either see four 30 second spots or a pitcher throw warm up pitches.

The commercials fill in that dead time, they aren't adding to the length of the game. You can spare me the "in the fifties" stuff because you and I both know that's not relevant in 2016.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:29 AM   #68
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
And again, comparing it to football is just proving my point.

As previously pointed out there is a timer which is the amount of time a pitcher gets between innings.

It has nothing to do with commercials.

Our choice during those two minutes is to either see four 30 second spots or a pitcher throw warm up pitches.

The commercials fill in that dead time, they aren't adding to the length of the game. You can spare me the "in the fifties" stuff because you and I both know that's not relevant in 2016.
You have an answer for everything don't you? It is a fact that their are more commercials today. I have tapes upon tapes to prove it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2016, 07:58 AM   #69

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman23
You have an answer for everything don't you? It is a fact that their are more commercials today. I have tapes upon tapes to prove it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I never argued there weren't more commercials.

As I've said from the start, the commercials don't add to the length of the game.

As a former college player who played in game without commercials I have the experience to prove it.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:24 AM   #70
Banned

OVR: 21

Here is the average length of a MLB game, starting with 2014 and going back at 10-year intervals to 1954, and then ending with 1950, the earliest year in Baseball Prospectus' database:

2014: 3:09
2004: 2:51
1994: 2:58
1984: 2:40
1974: 2:29
1964: 2:35
1954: 2:31
1950: 2:23

The reason can be explained due to multiple factors: more commercials between innings, more pitching changes, pitchers working more slowly, batters stepping out of box more frequently and for longer times, pitching changes, etc.

All factor in to the increase in game time. In the 60's the commercials were 30 seconds or 1 minute between innings. However, all items above play into the increase.

C
Old 10-11-2016, 10:12 AM   #71
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
Here is the average length of a MLB game, starting with 2014 and going back at 10-year intervals to 1954, and then ending with 1950, the earliest year in Baseball Prospectus' database:

2014: 3:09
2004: 2:51
1994: 2:58
1984: 2:40
1974: 2:29
1964: 2:35
1954: 2:31
1950: 2:23

The reason can be explained due to multiple factors: more commercials between innings, more pitching changes, pitchers working more slowly, batters stepping out of box more frequently and for longer times, pitching changes, etc.

All factor in to the increase in game time. In the 60's the commercials were 30 seconds or 1 minute between innings. However, all items above play into the increase.

C
While commercials are a factor, I would say they are the least of all those factors you mentioned. I would personally rank them this way...

1) More pitching Changes
2) Combination of slow working pitchers and batters doing a lot of pre stepping in the box rituals after every single pitch.
3) Commercials

1 and 2 can be seriously a time sink. Pitchers dual's always fly by in under 2:30 typically. But once everyone started playing "La Russa" ball the games starting dragging more.....and over the last decade or so some of the pre box batting rituals after every single solitary pitch border on insane.

I don't think pitch timers and what not need to be implemented. What needs to happen is Umpires having more control of the pace of play with batters getting set quicker and pitchers working faster.

Too many Scott Sanderson's on the mound (as far as pace) and too many Cabrera's at the plate tightening their batting gloves 3 times after every freaking pitch.

Move along...let's go.

Play ball.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2016, 10:48 AM   #72
Banned

OVR: 21

Let's not discount or forget how the presentation of the game has changed over the past 60 years. It is an entertainment event now...not just going to see a ballgame.

Your senses are assaulted between innings with ads, promotions, on field races, etc. Blurring the lines between watching on tv and being in the park. There is no reason for them to hurry up the game from an advertiser's point of view. You have a captive audience and longer games mean more food and drink sales, more items bought in gift stores, more people choosing to eat in the in house restaurants, etc.

They can try to speed up the game a bit, but make no mistake about it. Longer games bring more revenue for everyone involved.

C

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »