Home

Adding pitches

This is a discussion on Adding pitches within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-31-2016, 10:01 AM   #1
MVP

zippy2212's Arena

OVR: 8
Adding pitches

Hi all, I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the roster forum but here goes. I was looking for some guidance on how everyone handles adding a pitch to a pitcher's arsenal. I have a 99 potential SP who I drafted 4 yrs ago. He is up to an 83 ovr. My problem is he only throws a FB, 2 seamer and a CH. I would like to either replace one of the fastballs or add another pitch. Like a SL or CB.

How do you guys go about adding or changing a pitch?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited by zippy2212; 05-31-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2016, 10:40 AM   #2
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Adding pitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy2212
Hi all, I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the roster forum but here goes. I was looking for some guidance on how everyone handles adding a pitch to a pitcher's arsenal. I have a 99 potential SP who I drafted 4 yrs ago. He is up to an 83 ovr. My problem is he only throws a FB, 2 seamer and a CH. I would like to either replace one of the fastballs or add another pitch. Like a SL or CB.

How do you guys go about adding or changing a pitch?

I'd just make it his worst pitch.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:15 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 20

I wouldn't be shy giving velocity and movement whatever kind of numbers you think are realistic for the pitcher, but then slap on a control rating in the single-digits or 20 at the highest. Fun way to do it imo.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:25 PM   #4
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0

I've added pitches before, and for the most part it's an internal debate from one pitcher to the next. When I do decide that it is appropriate to add a pitch, I add something that is similar to something they already have or a relatively easy to learn pitch. I then make sure that it's velocity matches up logically with the other pitches but otherwise make it the worst pitch.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:44 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

I won't necessarily make it his worst pitch, especially this year if Velocity and Movement don't develop at all and don't move by training. He'll never get better with it if that's the case.

As for which pitch, it depends on the type of pitcher for me.

A finesse type, he'll probably get another kind of breaking pitch, or if he has only one fastball, he might get another one.

I also allow for a small chance for an exotic pitch. Only limitation is on KN because of having a power guy with a KN - at least I don't think that's happened before (has it?). KN has a higher chance on a guy with crap velocity and not really doing well.

Otherwise, I let forkballs and palmballs and screwballs and vulcan changes be a possibility...because why not?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2016, 03:04 PM   #6
MVP

zippy2212's Arena

OVR: 8

Thanks guys. His pitch speeds on his 2 fastballs are 90 and his change-up is 79 so I think I'm going to give him a slurve (can't decide between a slider and curve so why not do both) with a speed of 82 and make his control and break around the average of his other pitches. I appreciate the advice. I just felt there was no way a 99 pot. SP wouldn't have some sort of breaking pitch.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:25 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Greg Maddux predominantly used the same 3 pitches. He occasionally worked in a cutter and curve.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:26 PM   #8
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by braves_94
Greg Maddux predominantly used the same 3 pitches. He occasionally worked in a cutter and curve.
Yeah he did but it seemed like he had 7 pitches. Ha! His placement & movement on his pitches were unlike any MLB pitchers before. Maddog Maddux didn't throw blazing fastballs either. He could get any batter out with slow stuff. It was his placement & movement that fooled all hitters.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

RIP Pat Summitt: We will all miss you!

Jeremiah 29:11

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »