Home

Still too many 23+ year old's in offline franchise drafts

This is a discussion on Still too many 23+ year old's in offline franchise drafts within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-23-2016, 08:29 PM   #25
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Still too many 23+ year old's in offline franchise drafts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I hope you're right.

I presume there's a reason why they go to the draft...thinking maybe that was the only (easy/non-break-something-else) way to get them in the game.
SCEA was more than likely focused on other aspects of the game and not franchise and thought the quickest and easiest way of getting future International players into the game was have them go through the draft.

I really expect that to change one of these upcoming years, hopefully next year.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2016, 01:25 PM   #26
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

No matter what this area NEEDS to be addressed. I'm sure they have the #'s on how many people go 3+ years into a franchise...I'm hoping they aren't so small they just forget this group of customers.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 08-24-2016, 11:19 PM   #27
MVP

Tweeg's Arena

OVR: 12

I guess I'll resurrect this thread to see what people are doing about the prospects that are over 20 years old, overall in the 40s, and potential in the 90s.

I was thinking of implementing a system where players 21 and over with a potential over 85, must have their current overall within 25 points of their potential. For example - player is 22, 50 overall, 89 potential. Since he's not within 25 of the potential, I would drop his potential to 75.

I see it as a way to implement a bust mechanic, instead of this guy coming onto the scene when he's 30. I don't mind a few guys having a decent run when they debut late, but it should be largely based on injuries and opportunity - not because his initial overall to potential rating said he would be there at that age.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2016, 11:41 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeg
I see it as a way to implement a bust mechanic, instead of this guy coming onto the scene when he's 30. I don't mind a few guys having a decent run when they debut late, but it should be largely based on injuries and opportunity - not because his initial overall to potential rating said he would be there at that age.

I simply pretend that's the case and move on. I drafted one of these last year in my MLB16 franchise. I put in the draft write up that he suffered a big injury and is trying to recover and get his career back on track and that my team took a flyer on him with our last pick in the 6th round (since we all know the draft doesn't have a late 7th round )

Otherwise, I stash them and the game does whatever. If they make it, even late (in my carryover, I had a 33 year old rookie reliever) then great. If not, then they didn't overcome the odds and so it goes.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:42 PM   #29
MVP

BigOscar's Arena

OVR: 0

Another obvious issue is the lack of thought put into the first names of the international prospects. My draft is full of asian players with names like "Harvey Ikeda", "Walter Chung" and "William Ma". Clearly they went to the effort to separate what are sensible last names, but not first names. That might work if they were asian-american, but people actually born in asia tend to have asian names more often than not.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:15 PM   #30
MVP

Tweeg's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOscar
Another obvious issue is the lack of thought put into the first names of the international prospects. My draft is full of asian players with names like "Harvey Ikeda", "Walter Chung" and "William Ma". Clearly they went to the effort to separate what are sensible last names, but not first names. That might work if they were asian-american, but people actually born in asia tend to have asian names more often than not.
Billy Ma has a nice ring to it. He sounds like a star.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »