Home

Pop-Ups and Dribblers in front of the plate really need to be toned down...

This is a discussion on Pop-Ups and Dribblers in front of the plate really need to be toned down... within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-28-2016, 04:27 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Pop-Ups and Dribblers in front of the plate really need to be toned down...

I know we mentioned too many pop-ups being hit in last year's game and I thought the problem would at least be alleviated, but it seems as if it's even worse this year. In my last 3 games alone, I've counted 7, 8 and 6 infield pop-outs and 3, 2 and 3 dribblers in front of the plate. I've tested my foul ball slider on 4 and 5 as well as my contact slider on 4, 5 and 6 and regardless of what the sliders are set to, these issues persist.

So after counting these stats for the past few games, I went over FanGraphs and created a custom chart to see which teams average the most pop-outs per game. Currently the Toronto Blue Jays, through 78 games, have hit the most infield pop-ups with 96, for an average of 1.23 pop-ups per game. In terms of at-bats, the Blue Jays have 2,966 at-bats, which translates to 1 pop-out every 31 at-bats. I currently play with the Yankees, who have hit 72 pop-ups, which translates to 1.04 pop-ups per game, or 1 pop-up every 38 plate appearances.

Unfortunately I don't see the same statistics for dribblers, however it's pretty obvious that the amount of pop-ups and dribblers in front of the plate HIGHLY outnumber real life statistics. Is anyone else seeing this in their games?

Last edited by Padgoi; 06-28-2016 at 07:20 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2016, 04:45 PM   #2
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Pop-Ups and Dribblers in front of the plate really need to be toned down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.A.D.
I know we mentioned too many pop-ups being hit and I thought the problem would at least be alleviated, but it seems as if it's even worse this year. In my last 3 games alone, I've counted 7, 8 and 6 infield pop-outs and 3, 2 and 3 dribblers in front of the plate. I've tested my foul ball slider on 4 and 5 as well as my contact slider on 4, 5 and 6 and regardless of what the sliders are set to, these issues persist.

So after counting these stats for the past few games, I went over FanGraphs and created a custom chart to see which teams average the most pop-outs per game. Currently the Toronto Blue Jays, through 78 games, have hit the most infield pop-ups with 96, for an average of 1.23 pop-ups per game. In terms of at-bats, the Blue Jays have 2,966 at-bats, which translates to 1 pop-out every 31 at-bats. I currently play with the Yankees, who have hit 72 pop-ups, which translates to 1.04 pop-ups per game, or 1 pop-up every 38 plate appearances.

Unfortunately I don't see the same statistics for dribblers, however it's pretty obvious that the amount of pop-ups and dribblers in front of the plate HIGHLY outnumber real life statistics. Is anyone else seeing this in their games?

I have noticed this on the dribblers particularly on the higher difficulty levels. Now it seems to be toned down since the last patch but that could be merely a coincidence nor do I have any metrics to confirm my observation. On the pop ups front I haven't noticed it but will keep a mental note of watching for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2016, 04:51 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

I don't really notice an issue with pop-ups, but I definitely see too many dribblers.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:56 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.A.D.

Yes, definitely. I don't see a ton of choppers but I get a lot of pop ups and lazy flies.

I haven't found any stat on choppers, but my target is the same as IFFB - about 10% (which might be too high still). I figure both are on the same extreme, trajectory- and physics-wise, so targeting the same number makes sense, barring finding data.

I don't know about it being bad in prior years - for me, this is the worse it's ever been. I've had my qualms about the hitting in the other games (mostly not enough velocity on hits...which ironically is much better now), but the trajectories and resulting BABIPs in this game for flyballs is driving me up a wall right now.

It just seems like a "game balance" thing. Velocities better but "balance" with terrible trajectories. I don't know...maybe it works, but I admit to thinking in terms of baseball, not balance.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:36 PM   #5
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

The amount of foul pop outs behind the plate at times..... is totally infuriating. Also the dribblers are excessive too. This has been going on since MLB 14.

I think it needs to be toned down.

I am not seeing a problem with infield pop-flys at all. And for the record my hit variety is better than it has been in any previous version. The ball physics have drastically improved since MLB 12 on the PS3 (first year of ball physics 1.0).
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2016, 07:22 PM   #6
Rookie

saucerset's Arena

It would be interesting to track the amount of each through each inning. I have noticed that in the first 2 innings I can get (for example) 4 hits, then only get 1 or 2 hits for the remainder of the game. I can see how a starter would get into a groove, but when the lack of hits continues through the bullpen then it feels weird. I can have good timing and location of my PCI and pop it straight up or right at the catchers feet. The same swing would have been a hit in the early innings. I've lost count on how many games I have opened up to a 3-0 lead and either won 3-2 or lost 4-3. Every now and then I score in the final 3rd of the game, but it is few and far between.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:38 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
I am not seeing a problem with infield pop-flys at all. And for the record my hit variety is better than it has been in any previous version. The ball physics have drastically improved since MLB 12 on the PS3 (first year of ball physics 1.0).

I'm getting quite a few - sometimes upwards of 14-15%.

Since the ball physics are better (and I agree with the velocity and how the ball bounces, etc), I wonder why the fly ball BABIPs are so low and the flyball trajectories are too extreme.

I think they still have work to do.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:07 AM   #8
Banned

BegBy's Arena

OVR: 3

The higher the difficulty level, the higher the rate of popups and dribblers. I was stuck on super low level batting for a long time and just in the past 2 weeks I just jacked sliders in my favor and went to hall of fame. I did this because I can hit roughly the same but I actually get struck out. Like upwards of 7 times a game, and sometimes more. However, basically as a what I see as a difficulty simulation type move, popups and dribblers increase dramatically. Any type of pitch, pitcher, hitter, count, etc. It's frustrating when the pitcher let's a fastball go down broadway and you even guess pitch and jack it straight up.

Artificial difficulty is rather transparent. Huge criticism of the series as a whole.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »