Home

Issues with dynamic difficulty

This is a discussion on Issues with dynamic difficulty within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2016, 12:40 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Issues with dynamic difficulty

I didn't post this to complain about dynamic difficulty, just to ask some questions. For starters I think I remember a setting last year where you could stop the dynamic difficulty (so if I'm using it and I'm hitting at Rookie+ I can keep it there) instead of using the default settings without the + option, is that still an option? Unless I'm crazy, I'm 99% sure that used to be a thing.

Basically, my issue is my hitting skills lie somewhere between Rookie+ and Veteran+ and I'm not really sure which one. But on Veteran+ the pitchers seem to make me look silly, I think Rookie+ might be my best option, but it seems like the dynamic difficulty doesn't really take account how good the teams are. Like if I'm using a really good team and I get some hits it shoots up to Veteran+ but if I'm using a team like the Braves it shoots right back down. I feel like Veteran+ I can't buy a hit and it's about to go back down to Veteran but then one of my guys hits a homer and it shoots back up to the middle of Veteran+.

Any suggestions for me? Maybe there are sliders that would be good for my skill set? I'd be willing to try them but idk anything about MLB The Show sliders so it'd be a crap shoot to pick a set out without some help. Pitching is another issue with me in itself. When I'm on Veteran+ I feel comfortable bc my average pitchers are average, but my aces play like aces and it shoots the difficulty up to Hall of Fame+. The issue is I'm clearly not good enough for Hall of Fame, because I can't get through 6 innings with the best pitchers in baseball. And teams tee off me if I don't have an ace in there. The regular Veteran setting seems easy, so if there are sliders that could keep my skill level at like a Veteran+ pitching I'd be set. I'm not sure I can handle the regular Hall of Fame setting for pitching.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2016, 12:46 PM   #2
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: Issues with dynamic difficulty

Try the Hybrid sliders that Armor and Marino did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2016, 12:51 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Lowering the progression slider to zero is the "no progression" option you're referring to. That will lock the level to whatever it currently is.

As for the rest...you're right about it not taking team skill into account. DD only adjusts based on one thing - OPS. Essentially, the more total bases you get without making outs, the faster you'll promote. In general it does work, but if you run into long strings of playing bad teams, promote one or two levels because of it, and then run up against a good team or pitcher, the difficulty might seem a little....artificially hard.

Stopping the DD progression like I mentioned above is the best way to avoid this, once you think you've found a good level.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:14 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Try the Hybrid sliders that Armor and Marino did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
hmm ok I might end up giving these a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Lowering the progression slider to zero is the "no progression" option you're referring to. That will lock the level to whatever it currently is.

As for the rest...you're right about it not taking team skill into account. DD only adjusts based on one thing - OPS. Essentially, the more total bases you get without making outs, the faster you'll promote. In general it does work, but if you run into long strings of playing bad teams, promote one or two levels because of it, and then run up against a good team or pitcher, the difficulty might seem a little....artificially hard.

Stopping the DD progression like I mentioned above is the best way to avoid this, once you think you've found a good level.
Great I appreciate it, now I've just got to decide if Rookie+ hitting and Veteran+ pitching is right for me. If not I'll try the sliders recommended above. I tried playing on Rookie hitting last night with the Marlins and Veteran pitching and it was too easy. I was getting 8+ runs and around 20 hits in both games I played. Plus pitching was too easy, but probably not as bad as the hitting.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:07 AM   #5
Rookie

Lower the slider to 1 tick from left. Will still slowly adjust as you get better, but won't be noticeable and will stop the "flip-flopping".

Or you could bump it up to veteran and make some slider adjustments to make it a bit easier to hit
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »