Home

Best Pitch Types

This is a discussion on Best Pitch Types within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2016, 01:52 AM   #25
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Best Pitch Types

With the last 2 builds, Ive followed a Noah Syndergaard/Jake Arrieta mold, but left handed. I've used both orders and found that this trio of pitches is DOMINANT.

First Career was Sinker Slider 4sm like Jake Arrieta, 2nd time it was 4sm sinker slider like thor. You can easily strike out 15 batters a game on the lower difficulties from the very beginning. I set up the pitcher with 5 velocity and 3 break. The first setup is better to start but the 2nd one develops better in the long run. Most people I see dont build break on the 4sm so for it to start at 55 means its already slightly above average. Now every pitch has good movement if you're picking pitches that move for the last 4.

But all I ever really have to do wth this guy is pitch down and in for strike one, down and out for strike 2 and up and in for strike 3. Because Im a lefty, I throw the slider down and in against righties and the sinker down and in against lefties. I do the opposite pitch for strike 2 on the bottom outside corner. Strike 3 is the heater up and in. They cant keep up with it because they've seen a 92 mph sinker or 86 mph slider, then the other one, followed by a 98 mph heater.

I literally struck out 20 batters in my first AA game on beginner. I know thats not so amazing when difficulty is taken into account but its not like its easy to strike that many out on any difficulty. Its the most dominant setup Ive ever used, especially once you add a screwball or 12 6 curve that goes 77mph. Throw that 5-10 times a game against people with cold zones in the lower corner of your pitching hand side, thats a strike if its in the zone when sprinkled in...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2016, 08:04 PM   #26
Rookie

docdaddy's Arena

Yeah, in a similar approach (at a higher difficulty level) I've also found low outside corner (usually 4sm) low insider corner (4sm or sinker) then 4sm high and tight is often a consistent strike out combo. With a good batter who holds up on the high tight 4sm, or if I throw it too high, more often than not with that 1-2 count a change low and outside will have them looking silly for strike three.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:25 AM   #27
Rookie

In my Red Sox franchise in 2021, a lefty reliever I drafted has an amazing fastball - slider combo. He also features a changeup but I rarely use that. I use him almost exclusively vs LHH and use his wicked two seamer inside on the hitters early in the count to back them off and then drop an Andrew Miller like slider down and away, and it always ends in Whiffs, so this guy is a K machine.

Slider is definitely my best strikeout/Whiff pitch. I can't get the same effects with any curveball, the hitters seem to be able to lay off it. Changeups are pretty good, but I have noticed that I have a habit of leaving them up in the zone and those tend to get punished.

Also, with guys who throw in the high 90s or into 100mph I love the fastball up and inside. Very rare that a hitter can do anything with that pitch.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »