Home

Wow, that was REALLY disheartening...

This is a discussion on Wow, that was REALLY disheartening... within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 05:39 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Wow, that was REALLY disheartening...

So I've been using the Yankees in my franchise for the past few iterations of the show and I usually am successful, having one the chip in 2012 and making the postseason two other seasons. So I got this year's game upon release and am currently 39-26 in my franchise (using my Legend sliders in the sliders forum).

The problem was, a friend of mine, using the exact same sliders, was struggling mightily. He tried franchises with the Angels, the Marlins, the Mariners, the Astros, the Pirates and the Orioles and all 6 ended the same way . . . with him quitting because he was struggling. I honestly thought I was just better than him at the game. Until today...

He played 5 games today and lost all 5 in blowouts. We had no idea why he was struggling so much and I was doing so well. I tried giving him pointers, but he just wasn't buying that I was so much better than him. After the fifth blowout, he had enough and decided to play with the Yankees just to see if anything felt different. And boy did it.

Now mind you, he only paid 3 games with the Yankees, but after starting EVERY SINGLE previous franchise either 1-2 or 0-3, he conveniently started the Yankees franchise 3-0. But it wasn't the record that bothered me, it was the OBVIOUS way in which the computer literally laid down for him with the Yankees that they weren't doing with any other team he tried using. He was complaining that the CPU never swung at balls, but as the Yankees, they swung at a ton of bad pitches. He complained he was making too many errors, but as the Yankees, none. He complained that everything he threw was being belted, but as the Yankees, he was shutting them down. Watching him play made me feel like every other game I won was being handed to me. I felt like the Show had pulled a rug over my eyes and shielded me from the actual rigors and frustrations he was going through. I couldn't allow myself to believe that the game tuned certain teams differently to make it easier based on . . . popularity. The teams he used prior to the Yankees were ranked 20, 22, 10, 1, 18 and 21 respectively. The Yankees were ranked 11. Yet despite a couple of those teams being ranked better, he still struggled MIGHTILY while with the Yankees, he cruised.

I feel so . . . used, so cheated, so . . . Show'd.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2016, 05:58 PM   #2
Hall of Fame

jb12780's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Wow, that was REALLY disheartening...

Not again...

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2016, 06:04 PM   #3
MVP

underdog13's Arena

OVR: 0

I'm confused, so you watched your friend play 8 games today and he kicked *** with the Yankees but sucked with all these other teams? I assume he played opponents of the same skill?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2016, 06:06 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.A.D.
I couldn't allow myself to believe that the game tuned certain teams differently to make it easier based on . . . popularity.

Then explain why my Marlins in my carryover are one of the best teams in the league while my Red Sox franchise they are decent but not dominate.

If popularity was the determining factor...that should be reversed, no?

Or are you saying it only applies to 2016 then suddenly the game is like "no we're going to use ratings now"?
Old 07-27-2016, 06:09 PM   #5

Marino's Arena

OVR: 55

I really don't believe this at all. Just seems like another conspiracy theory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2016, 06:14 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino
I really don't believe this at all. Just seems like another conspiracy theory.
And one based off a 3-game sweep.

Or a 3-5 stretch.

8 games. Some sample size.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:19 PM   #7

Marino's Arena

OVR: 55

I think I am going to close this. Please use statistical evidence with a good sample size to determine this. This just seems like a conspiracy theory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2016, 06:19 PM   #8
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27

What would be the reason they would tune the game like that? What's the benefit to SCEA?

Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »