Home

Authentic Atmosphere is #1 in sports gaming?

This is a discussion on Authentic Atmosphere is #1 in sports gaming? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2016, 07:46 PM   #1
Rookie

BBallBryan23's Arena

OVR: 0
Authentic Atmosphere is #1 in sports gaming?

First of all, I wanted to take time to compliment The Show for doing yet another thing better than other sport's games. I feel one thing The Show has improved on greatly and remains head and shoulders above Madden and even the NBA 2K series is how it feels to play a game in a certain team's ballpark. I haven't played enough FIFA or NHL to fairly add them into the mix. Maybe others can help with that.

It never ceases to amaze me at how real and authentic the stadiums feel and how they differ from park to park and even game to game in the same stadium. Wrigley Field feels like a summer afternoon in the bleachers, Tropicana Field feels as dim and depressing at it does in real life. Not only crowd atmosphere but the little specific details about each stadium really help bring them to life and make you feel like you are within an arm's reach of a seat in that stadium yourself. And those 1-3 cut-scenes coming back from "commercial" of the home team's downtown area are brilliant. Just something like that makes you feel like you're watching your team playing on FSN, Comcast or whatever. And I should know because I have subscribed to MLB Extra Innings for years.

Football is incredible to play and watch one these next-gen consoles but the atmosphere of all 32 stadiums in Madden feel too similar IMO and not unique enough. Arrowhead should stand out from Qualcomm Stadium, Seattle's stadium should stand apart from the Georgia Dome and so on. I would even say the same about NBA 2K although it has improved.

What are you guys' thoughts? I think it would be cool for people to post their thoughts and examples of just why The Show has NAILED the "feeling" of playing a game in each of the 30 beautiful MLB ballparks.

NCAA - Kansas Jayhawks
MLB - Kansas City Royals, Colorado Rockies
NFL - Kansas City Chiefs, Green Bay Packers
NBA - Milwaukee Bucks, Memphis Grizzlies
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2016, 08:30 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: Authentic Atmosphere is #1 in sports gaming?

Still waiting for the crowd to respond like its watching an actual game, and not a repetitive noise loop with occasional sound cues.
I am building a website that will host classic sport gaming rosters from years past. We have lost many great rosters for good over the past several years due to expired links. If your interested in contributing, please PM me and let the work live on forever!
Old 07-27-2016, 10:03 PM   #3
Rookie

HarlemYankee's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlatinoheatx
Still waiting for the crowd to respond like its watching an actual game, and not a repetitive noise loop with occasional sound cues.
Agreed. That is one of the final steps this franchise needs to take the leap into rivaling 2K
Old 07-28-2016, 07:57 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 20

Unfortunately I don't really agree, OP. It's nice and all, and a gigantic leap from early sports games that I played as a kid, but specifically with regards to audio I think it needs a complete overhaul, or close to it.

If there's any devs lurking, what I'd suggest is firing up the ol' MLB.tv app and noting that there's a "Park" audio package for every game (no announcers; just on-field, in-stadium mics). Throw on some headphones and have a listen. Try to emulate that going forward.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:52 AM   #5
Pro

I do think the stadiums and daytime lighting are very impressive with MLB The Show hot days at a ball park mimic close to real life. But that is exactly why there is a disconnect while stadiums feel realistic the game play does not match up to that expectation.

Watching a CPU vs CPU game looks good but there is a huge break down most notiable on defense when a user joins in on the action on the field. If some how in future iterations of the game your CPU teammates felt more organic to what happens around you based on the position you are playing. I think that the line between how real MLB The Show looks vs how real it plays will become less blurred.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »