Home

RTTS Pitching advice?

This is a discussion on RTTS Pitching advice? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2016, 02:49 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: RTTS Pitching advice?

From what I've seen, my #1 pitch degrades in confidence faster than my other pitches. Because of that, I have to throw that pitch more often to keep the confidence high. My #5 pitch, on the other hand, I only have to throw once every inning or two to keep it's confidence up.

As such, if you put your 12-6 curve in the #1 slot, it may start with a higher confidence at the beginning of the game but you'll need to throw it more often than you might want to. On the other hand, having your fastball in the #3 spot would mean it's much easier to maintain its confidence.

I always put my main fastball in the #1 slot since I use it a lot. It only takes a few get-me-over curves for my pitcher to gain confidence it that pitch.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:49 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 0

When I attempted to make the pitcher with the idea I expressed here, I learned one huge flaw with it. STARTING Velocity is based on pitch number. So yeah, I could develop the 4sm to 100mph(if I was a 5 in velocity), but it starts at 94 because its only 65 rating. The first pitch was a 90 in velocity, 2nd was an 80. This whole time I was paying a little too much attention to the starting control rating and less to the velocity.

New question, while we know the velocity max changes based on where you have your flex points when creating, is there a similar concept with break? By that I mean if you have a 4 in velocity, your pitcher will max at 98mph instead of 99. It can be as low as 96 really as a max depending on pitch choice if that never got fixed. Does having less than a 5 in break make it so your 99 in break is weaker than someone who had a 5 at development?

If not, IM completely changing how I make my players. You should always go 5 in velocity then unless you're limiting on purpose for fun. But I used to put the extra point into break, I'd put it in control instead...
Old 08-04-2016, 02:03 PM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
The only deliveries I could consider for a funky guy like this are the equally funky ones
After doing research, with a minor adjustment of where the pitches are, its not that funky at all. Only the screwball is out of place in this league today. But it used to be a very formidable pitch that just ruined arms if over used. As a 5th pitch, I might throw 10 a game in the majors, thats a high estimate.

But the first four is really just Jake Arrieta. Granted he's the only Ace with those 4 in those 4 spots. Sinker Slider 4sm 12-6 and then he throws a change up. I had the 12-6 at 1 and sinker at 4 in my original post, but flip those 2 and you're one of the most unhittable pitchers in baseball's history(at least for that extended run he had).

For the life of me, Ive never liked the idea of a change up, cant explain it. Its supposedly one of the best pitches in baseball, especially if you got a strong heater. Its hard for me to hit them on the higher settings but I dont feel like its as effective against the cpu(any of them). If Im going to use a slower pitch with mainly downward drop, I might as well just use the 12-6 in my opinion, which was already going to be in my top 4.

So the guy I ended up creating was just a left handed Jake Arrieta... 5 velocity 3 break, starts with a 92mph Sinker with slightly above average break(55) and avg control(50). 80 velocity Slider ends up 88mph with a 40 in break and control, 4sm at 65 is a 94mph, built it to 70 early to get 95mph.

Worth all the remaking. I play on beginner in the minors, want to get to the show early/develop fast, sue me. But with that in mind, Ive never been as dominant as I am with this guy. Avg 15ks a game, 10 games in, 8 AA 2 AAA, every one a complete shutout(all 9 innings), many no hitters(4 or 5), a couple perfect games. Its fun... I'll move to dynamic when I reach the bigs and let my guy develop naturally from there.

Dude is filthy though now 90 50 70 sinker, 80 40 80 slider, 85 35 35 4SM, bout to get that 12-6 curve that starts at 30 30 40. All within 2 months. Build it up to a 30 30 90. Gonna be Unreal... Yes I know its beginner, still impressed with how dominant a build it is...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2016, 02:38 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtownwaves
After doing research, with a minor adjustment of where the pitches are, its not that funky at all. Only the screwball is out of place in this league today. But it used to be a very formidable pitch that just ruined arms if over used. As a 5th pitch, I might throw 10 a game in the majors, thats a high estimate.
Well a 100 MPH guy with an incredibly slow CB is pretty funky. 90's FB and 70's CB, yeah, that's not too atypical. Yu Darvish is another solid pitcher with that combo. Probably others.

But you described him as a 100 MPH guy with an almost eephus-style bender. Like about a 30+ MPH difference. That's funky

I can just picture this guy doing the tornado delivery and then whipping out that curve after a 100 MPH heater. You'd probably get cartoon-like swings lol.

Quote:
For the life of me, Ive never liked the idea of a change up, cant explain it. Its supposedly one of the best pitches in baseball, especially if you got a strong heater. Its hard for me to hit them on the higher settings but I dont feel like its as effective against the cpu(any of them). If Im going to use a slower pitch with mainly downward drop, I might as well just use the 12-6 in my opinion, which was already going to be in my top 4.

Yeah, it can be tough to use. I like to try to throw it in the same spot as my fastball. The CPU can get fooled on them but I think you have to really set it up or throw it at "unexpected" times.

Curves are probably more "user friendly" in the game, although when they go bad...
Old 08-05-2016, 03:53 AM   #13
Rookie

JPCaveman13's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:

New question, while we know the velocity max changes based on where you have your flex points when creating, is there a similar concept with break? By that I mean if you have a 4 in velocity, your pitcher will max at 98mph instead of 99. It can be as low as 96 really as a max depending on pitch choice if that never got fixed. Does having less than a 5 in break make it so your 99 in break is weaker than someone who had a 5 at development?

If not, IM completely changing how I make my players. You should always go 5 in velocity then unless you're limiting on purpose for fun. But I used to put the extra point into break, I'd put it in control instead...
Nope...the flex points are basically just like the old style where you had normal attribute points to spend to boost your player. Once you load into your RTTS you switch from that 1-5 rating to the 0-99 rating system. For example: velocity at 1 gives you a 50-40-35 breakdown whereas a velocity at 5 gives you a 90-80-65 breakdown. I not 100% sure of the exact number for each of the flex point to rating conversion for each of the five tools. Either way, once you get to the 0-99 ratings, flex points don't matter as a 99 rating in any of those behaves in the same way whether you started at 1 or 5 flex points.

Last edited by JPCaveman13; 08-05-2016 at 03:56 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:17 AM   #14
Rookie

JPCaveman13's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:

Dude is filthy though now 90 50 70 sinker, 80 40 80 slider, 85 35 35 4SM, bout to get that 12-6 curve that starts at 30 30 40. All within 2 months. Build it up to a 30 30 90. Gonna be Unreal... Yes I know its beginner, still impressed with how dominant a build it is...
Seeing this and the unorthodox delivery, I can't help but think that he's this tall, gangly kid (like 6'8"-6'9", maybe 200 lbs after a big meal and full catcher's gear) and who wouldn't pass the eye test as a modern-day baseball player.

With the repertoire, it doesn't sound fun to face your player either. Just curious as to what your stat line is for him.

As far as filthy and mean, I thought it would be fun to create a mirrored repertoire. I did this in franchise to replace a scrub, created FA so I could potentially face him. He has a 2-seamer, cutter, curve, and screwball. The fastballs have identical velocities, control, and break. The same goes for the breaking pitches. I will say I was baffled for eight innings as I would recognize fastball or breaking ball, but which way it moved was a roll of the dice.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:13 PM   #15
Rookie

Regarding the comments on change up effectiveness I discovered it helps a ton to throw change ups at max velocity (if you use meter)

I am not sure why, but I get the CPU locking up when I mix in max velocity change ups more than if I throw them with standard velocity.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2016, 06:35 PM   #16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPCaveman13
Seeing this and the unorthodox delivery, I can't help but think that he's this tall, gangly kid (like 6'8"-6'9", maybe 200 lbs after a big meal and full catcher's gear) and who wouldn't pass the eye test as a modern-day baseball player.

With the repertoire, it doesn't sound fun to face your player either. Just curious as to what your stat line is for him.

As far as filthy and mean, I thought it would be fun to create a mirrored repertoire. I did this in franchise to replace a scrub, created FA so I could potentially face him. He has a 2-seamer, cutter, curve, and screwball. The fastballs have identical velocities, control, and break. The same goes for the breaking pitches. I will say I was baffled for eight innings as I would recognize fastball or breaking ball, but which way it moved was a roll of the dice.
You were spot on with the height, he's 6'8(80 inches) but 250(lebron size). So think a bigger Noah Syndergaard, who's 6'6 and 240 in his own right. But yeah, its not easy to verse my lefty, but then again, its not easy to verse Jake Arrieta. I swear I wasnt even trying to copy him but when I was looking through the aces in the league, I saw the only guy who had those 4 pitches was him, just sinker at 1 and and 12-6 at 4.

That sinker is deadly as a #1 pitch, thats all I can say. I loved the 4sm at 1 but was always tired of throwing a pitch with little movement. With it at #3, its literally JUST my out pitch. 2 strikes, I turn up the heat. Allows me to throw 93 for the most part till I need the extra for the strikeout, zoomin in at 98+. The slider hits 89-91 on a regular basis now. Like this guy is legit. And now he has the 12-6 going 75 mph with above average break(60).

I only Throw that when they are cold down and to the left(pitching hand) and not often at all. I throw the slider when they're cold down and to the right, sinker if they are hot in either. But the order is down and in, down and out, and then Finish with a 4sm high and inside.

Stats are ridiculous but it is on beginner till mlb for improved development and quicker access to the show hopefully. Using the 7/20 stevemarshall update 2 to the midseason update ridin' put out. Im in the cubs system, but I did modify the cubs roster to how I would run the team if it was franchise mode(so some players arent in their true position but they fit how I feel a team should fill positions). That makes it so I have a path to the bigs at positions I like to play in RTTS(LF and SP really).

AA 8-0 8 cg/shutouts 72 IP, 0 era, 0.1 Whip, 0 walks, 128 ks 7 hits

AAA 4-0 4cg shutouts 32 IP, 0era, 0.14 whip, 0 walks, 66 ks, 5 hits
.043 BAA, 16.5 k/9

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »