Home

Pitchers turn into Nolan Ryan with runners on almost everytime..

This is a discussion on Pitchers turn into Nolan Ryan with runners on almost everytime.. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 04:25 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Pitchers turn into Nolan Ryan with runners on almost everytime..

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Quick question for the OP or anyone else seeing this issue.

How do you score the runs you do? Homerun only?

If there are runs you score on small ball or base hits, what makes those times different than the times you don't score?
My friend, I still score runs. I still average about 4.5 runs per game, which is league average. Many of my runs are via home run, many are via rallies. The only point I'm trying to make is that when there are runners in scoring position and less than 2 outs, many pitchers seem to throw harder, nibble corners more efficiently and force the user to swing at bad pitches to protect the plate in bad hitter's counts. This type of added efficiency simply isn't realistic. Very few of my runs are generated via sac flies. They're almost all generated via hits. Small ball doesn't really exist because sac flies are so scarce.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2016, 04:25 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientDiety
I know this happens in real ball, but not remotely the frequency it happens here it is infuriating...
I would agree that there are too many line drive outs in the game. Part of this is the "luck" (read: inputs that are difficult/impossible to measure or repeat intentionally by players) of baseball - and in The Show, the RNG, but with how low LD BABIP can get, I don't think it's just "bad luck", meaning that the engine is calculating the "hit chance" (in fact, you can see the "hit chance" in the Batter Analysis screens), and if that fails, an "possible out" is made. Then the contact and such might determine what that "possible out" looks like (high fly ball, lined shot, chopper, etc) and plays it out where player actions and other ratings can kick in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientDiety
Its almost like the game has decided I won't score many runs no matter what. They need to tone this down a lot....it's unrealistic and plays like arcade baseball. Having games with 15 hits and 3 runs is common because the AI defense all are superman and perfect contact right at sometime is way too common.
For this, I can think of a few things:

-Consistency is too high. Pitchers don't throw enough pitches with "bad" releases and such that increase the chances of extra base hits

-Control is too high. Pitchers can paint at will too often. Lower and even if the pitcher wanted to go into Greg Maddux mode, it would become more difficult.

In addition, walks may go up significantly, turning some of those hits into walks, potentially increasing run scoring on fewer hits. I keep both of these quite low (on All-Star difficulty).

-Not enough extra base hits. There's a lot of ways to attack this, all of them reasonable and effective, so I won't go into it here. But if you've got 15 singles scattered in the game, that would produce a low number of runs (and throw on GIDPs and it gets worse). But if you had 8 doubles and 7 singles, the chances of that being a low number or runs shrinks quickly. They'd have to be truly scattered. After all, 2 doubles = 1 run. double + single likely does as well in a lot of cases.

I will say, since you mentioned you're seeing superman defense, lowering Fielder Reaction and Speed sliders might help with that. It might also turn some of your singles into extra bases (they can't always cut it off, run down a fly ball, etc.)

If your walks are low and you're piling on singles, I could see what you describe happening (and yes, it would drive me up a wall).

I've had games where I score 1 run on 11 hits because they were too scattered and pretty much all singles and no walks. That's why I'm approaching it from that angle.

Last edited by KBLover; 08-02-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:27 PM   #27
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I would agree that there are too many line drive outs in the game. Part of this is the "luck" (read: inputs that are difficult/impossible to measure or repeat intentionally by players) of baseball - and in The Show, the RNG, but with how low LD BABIP can get, I don't think it's just "bad luck".

For this, I can think of a few things:

-Consistency is too high. Pitchers don't throw enough pitches with "bad" releases and such that increase the chances of extra base hits

-Control is too high. Pitchers can paint at will too often. Lower and even if the pitcher wanted to go into Greg Maddux mode, it would become more difficult.

In addition, walks may go up significantly, turning some of those hits into walks, potentially increasing run scoring on fewer hits.

-Not enough extra base hits. There's a lot of ways to attack this, all of them reasonable and effective, so I won't go into it here. But if you've got 15 singles scattered in the game, that would produce a low number of runs (and throw on GIDPs and it gets worse). But if you had 8 doubles and 7 singles, the chances of that being a low number or runs shrinks quickly. They'd have to be truly scattered. After all, 2 doubles = 1 run. double + single likely does as well in a lot of cases.

I will say, since you mentioned you're seeing superman defense, lowering Fielder Reaction and Speed sliders might help with that. It might also turn some of your singles into extra bases (they can't always cut it off, run down a fly ball, etc.)

If your walks are low and you're piling on singles, I could see what you describe happening (and yes, it would drive me up a wall).

I've had games where I score 1 run on 11 hits because they were too scattered and pretty much all singles and no walks. That's why I'm approaching it from that angle.
I have CPU Control at 2.
I have CPU Consistency at 2.
I have User Contact at 7.
These things still happen.
Granted I play on Legend difficulty.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:30 PM   #28
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

It can't be only me, can it?

Does anyone else read these comeback code/PCI is too big or too small/cpu is too perfect threads as code for... "my difficulty level is up too high for my skill level and I am too stubborn to change it." ?? Am I the only one that thinks that?

Because my brain immediately makes that translation when I see these types of threads. There are a handful of people who appear to keep playing the game with inappropriate sliders/difficulty for their skill and these threads are sort of the way to vent frustration from that without smashing controllers. People seem so frustrated that they also can develop a really nasty case of confirmation/recency bias (my hypothesis is correct because it's correct, I think that pitchers are different with RISP because I didn't get a hit last time, or I saw this one thing happen that lost me the game this one time) on top of the original underlying difficulty issues.

I really strongly believe that if people were more open to really testing out different difficulties/settings and not getting set on needing the hardest difficulty or having a preconceived notion of what their difficulty should be, they'd have a better experience. I used to be the "I need the hardest difficulty" guy when I used to pay attention to pro football and play Madden, but I'm not that way anymore. I can at least understand the mindset. I think this applies whether you are 3 levels too high in difficulty or even just a little bit in over your head (AS vs Rookie for example).

Some people seem to be gluttons for punishment. Video games are supposed to be fun, bros. If you find yourself continually making threads to lament the game and all the wrong it inflicts on you....then are you really enjoying the game? Or are you just telling yourself that you are? Certainly there are valid criticisms, but ones rooted in the cpu playing too well are usually fixable with settings/sliders if you are really willing to solve the issue.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:31 PM   #29
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.A.D.
My friend, I still score runs. I still average about 4.5 runs per game, which is league average. Many of my runs are via home run, many are via rallies. The only point I'm trying to make is that when there are runners in scoring position and less than 2 outs, many pitchers seem to throw harder, nibble corners more efficiently and force the user to swing at bad pitches to protect the plate in bad hitter's counts. This type of added efficiency simply isn't realistic. Very few of my runs are generated via sac flies. They're almost all generated via hits. Small ball doesn't really exist because sac flies are so scarce.
I don't see this....sorry.

Maybe its because you play on Legend.

BTW....how does the game force you to swing at bad pitches? Does it take control or something?

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 08-02-2016 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:43 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
The only point I'm trying to make is that when there are runners in scoring position and less than 2 outs, many pitchers seem to throw harder, nibble corners more efficiently and force the user to swing at bad pitches to protect the plate in bad hitter's counts. This type of added efficiency simply isn't realistic. Very few of my runs are generated via sac flies. They're almost all generated via hits. Small ball doesn't really exist because sac flies are so scarce.

Sac flies are too uncommon. I blame the lack of G/F ratings as much as anything else. A guy like Chris Davis doesn't have his heavy flyball tendency and pitchers don't have GB/FB tendencies either. So it all becomes a random fest (for me as a Directional player anyway).

That and too much floaty/pop-uppy nature to flies this year.

I haven't noticed much difference in tendency to nibble, because I find pitchers try that anyway. It might be difficulty level (I'm All-Star, I know you live on Legend) or sliders (maybe it's my low strike frequency) but that I don't see much difference. If I left control/consistency near default, I'd probably be singing the same tune as others who observe what you mentioned.

Likewise, I haven't noticed increased velocities, either on fastball, offspeed, or breaking balls, at least based on what it says on the radar gun.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:51 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
I have CPU Control at 2.
I have CPU Consistency at 2.
I have User Contact at 7.
These things still happen.
Granted I play on Legend difficulty.

Legend (as do all difficulties beyond All-Star) impart "modifiers" to the sliders. Or at least that's effectively what's happening. For HOF/Legend, the "modifiers" are negative for the user side and positive for the CPU side.

7 Contact on Legend isn't the same as 7 Contact on All-Star (I use 6 Contact on All-Star). If I was to try to get that behavior on Legend, I'd probably go up to at least 8 (add 1 for every level above All-Star to start).

By the same token, CPU control at 2 on Legend might be like 5 (default) on All-Star. I use Control at 2 for CPU as well...but on All-Star...so it does tend to make them less pinpoint without destroying their ability to pitch.

Personally, I'd 0 out Control/Consistency on Legend (heck I have Consistency at 1 on All-Star because pitchers are just too fine for my tastes, especially the medicore command ones).

Legend is not really designed, imo, for realism (especially for Directional/Classic/Pulse, again imo). If I were to try it, I'd have to heavily "mod" the settings. I'd go crazy otherwise lol.

But that's just another reason why I live happily at All-Star. It's more "pure" at this level with the settings and the AI batting behavior seems more realistic (i.e. like how real hitters respond). I'd rather put every CPU slider at 10 than change difficulty level

Last edited by KBLover; 08-02-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2016, 05:41 PM   #32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
It can't be only me, can it?

Does anyone else read these comeback code/PCI is too big or too small/cpu is too perfect threads as code for... "my difficulty level is up too high for my skill level and I am too stubborn to change it." ?? Am I the only one that thinks that?

Because my brain immediately makes that translation when I see these types of threads. There are a handful of people who appear to keep playing the game with inappropriate sliders/difficulty for their skill and these threads are sort of the way to vent frustration from that without smashing controllers. People seem so frustrated that they also can develop a really nasty case of confirmation/recency bias (my hypothesis is correct because it's correct, I think that pitchers are different with RISP because I didn't get a hit last time, or I saw this one thing happen that lost me the game this one time) on top of the original underlying difficulty issues.

I really strongly believe that if people were more open to really testing out different difficulties/settings and not getting set on needing the hardest difficulty or having a preconceived notion of what their difficulty should be, they'd have a better experience. I used to be the "I need the hardest difficulty" guy when I used to pay attention to pro football and play Madden, but I'm not that way anymore. I can at least understand the mindset. I think this applies whether you are 3 levels too high in difficulty or even just a little bit in over your head (AS vs Rookie for example).

Some people seem to be gluttons for punishment. Video games are supposed to be fun, bros. If you find yourself continually making threads to lament the game and all the wrong it inflicts on you....then are you really enjoying the game? Or are you just telling yourself that you are? Certainly there are valid criticisms, but ones rooted in the cpu playing too well are usually fixable with settings/sliders if you are really willing to solve the issue.

I'm 43-27 with the Yankees on Legend. I'd say I'm doing fine for the difficulty level I play on.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »