Home

Are you seeing good averages distribution? Because I'm not.

This is a discussion on Are you seeing good averages distribution? Because I'm not. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2016, 10:20 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 20

Hate to start a "Am I the only one?" thread but just interested if this is an actual thing with the game or just an anomaly with my current season. Among my everyday players there's almost no statistical gap:

Kinsler: .305
Maybin: .276
Cabrera: .276
V. Martinez: .270
J. Martinzez: .301
Upton: .270
Castellanos: .271
McCann: .265
Iglesias: .285

Granted I've got Saltalamacchia hitting .184 (152 AB), Mike Aviles at .224 (174 AB) and Tyler Collins at .237 (80 AB), and a host of others with wildly varying stats due to limited time, but those aren't everyday guys.

And all it would take is like Miggy & VMart to be hitting like .344 and .321 respectively or something and I wouldn't have even noticed this. But just damn, 6 of 9 guys all in the same 11-point range? NOBODY above .305 and NOBODY below .265?

This is playing every game, through 123 games. I dunno, I just expected a bit better. Very meh results after all this time and energy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2016, 11:25 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Are you seeing good averages distribution? Because I'm not.

What are their BABIPs?

That would be another piece of data to tell. If the BAs are similar but the BABIPs are wide ranging, then that's showing more separation, and then taken together can give you a picture on who's doing what and how.

FWIW, here's mine (end of season, BA, BABIP) for guys who played at least semi-regularly (between platoons and injuries and not counting trade deadline acquisitions) for my fresh MLB16 franchise:

Addison Russell: .272, .336
Jorge Mateo: .270, .345
Joey Gallo: .294, .334
Stephen Piscotty: .321, .347
Kyle Schwarber: .263, .282
Miguel Sano: .259, .303
Delino DeShields Jr: .254, .287
Mark Trumbo: .288, .339
Bryon Buxton: .274, .316

(Team Stats: .267, .312)

Pretty decent spread among these semi-regulars and everyday players. Sano, Schwarber, and DeShields Jr were below team average in both categories.

Buxton pretty much team average in both. Mateo and Russell team average in BAs, but much higher in BABIP.

Piscotty trumped both (though BABIP was closer than BA), while Gallo was above team average in both by a similar margin.

Trumbo's is somewhat "manufactured" as he, ideally, is a platoon player. He's far better vs LHP. That said, he platoon with Schwarber at DH for the most part...and Schwarber was below team average in both categories.

I played every game.

I didn't run the carryover since I figure there's other factors with it being 8 years in and now through 3 versions of the game. I can run it if interested.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:09 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

I went to fangraphs and looked up the stats for a few teams (at random), sorted by PAs (to find the regulars/semi-regulars) and took a look at the BA spread.

It's not that wide in a lot of cases. For example, for the Rangers, from Jurrickson Profar (197 PA) on up (9 players), 6 of them are clustered around .276 and .294.

The Reds: there's Votto at .290, Suarez at .230, many of the rest of the regulars are around .250-.260.

The Nats are funny: Murphy, .356. Ramos, .332. Then there's a lot of folks around .220 and a few .250's. This kind of spread might be more abnormal on the same team. Plus...a division leader with so many .220-.230 BAs...including Bryce Harper.

I think there's a difference between the distribution on teams and at the whole league population. Yeah, an 11 point difference across the whole league would be weird. But team-by-team, it may not be terribly uncommon to see "clustering".

Granted, I didn't look at all the teams. Maybe I just happened across the few outliers that clusered BAs.

Last edited by KBLover; 08-06-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:53 PM   #4
Rookie

RockPowderDownLoL's Arena

OVR: 0

it's because your eyes are their eyes, they see what you see as opposed to guys seeing the ball differently like they do IRL. this is just something that would be hard to fix in a video game...
Old 08-06-2016, 01:46 PM   #5
Rookie

I have always observed decent ranges, often commensurate with their ratings but sometimes greatly over or under performing.

I had a guy hit 176 in 190 AB (sent down) another his 205 in 200 AB (sent down). the rest ranged from 252 to 336.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2016, 02:21 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockPowderDownLoL
it's because your eyes are their eyes, they see what you see as opposed to guys seeing the ball differently like they do IRL. this is just something that would be hard to fix in a video game...
This is why I play cpu vs cpu. I don't want Trout or Bryant thinking and hitting like me. I don't want to serve up a HR for Kershaw when I know Posey would never guess back to back curveballs. I let the players to do the playing. I just relax and witness history, pitch by pitch. My stats are very realistic league-wide.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:46 PM   #7
Did I do that???

mrCPUgeek's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimey
This is why I play cpu vs cpu. I don't want Trout or Bryant thinking and hitting like me. I don't want to serve up a HR for Kershaw when I know Posey would never guess back to back curveballs. I let the players to do the playing. I just relax and witness history, pitch by pitch. My stats are very realistic league-wide.

Rather than CPU v. CPU. You could try manage mode or player lock. Player lock, you are only one batter. Manage mode, you still call the shots but the hitting and pitching is determined by the CPU.

With that being said, I use directional batting and classic pitching and get a wide range of results based on player's attributes. But I guess your could still say that you decision to swing or what pitch and where come into play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by mrCPUgeek; 08-06-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:53 PM   #8
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockPowderDownLoL
Which leads me to assume NEO may be using Zone Hitting & not Directional.
But I've been wrong before, & likely will be wrong again at some point in the future
#44Syracuse

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »