Home

Zone hitting influence.

This is a discussion on Zone hitting influence. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2016, 01:33 PM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Zone hitting influence.

I remember a few years ago when using zone hitting we had the ability to attempt to influence where we would hit the ball. This was very helpful when needing a sacrifice fly or a ground ball to the right side of the infield. However, it seems since directional hitting has been introduced that feature is gone, or perhaps I'm just missing it somehow.

I'm curious if anyone knows if there is a way to still influence where we're trying to hit the ball when using zone. I keep bouncing back and forth between zone and directional. I like directional but I feel like computer just dictates too much what's going to happen when using it.

Case in point last night. I had three consecutive pitches in which I had "good" timing on balls in the zone, and swung and missed at all three of them for a strikeout. In the same game I was sitting on a ball up and in (with Rizzo) timed it perfectly and the result? Pop-up on the infield.

The one thing I like about directional over zone is the ability to attempt to influence the ball's direction, but I just don't know if I can continue to watch poor contact on good timing over and over.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2016, 01:45 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: Zone hitting influence.

Last year we were told that the swing influence has been gone for years (even though the control was still in the game and actually gave rumble feedback when you used it). This year even the feedback was removed.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...4&postcount=64 (Nem is relaying dev info from '15 Community Day)

So, no, there's no way other than to swing earlier/later. Except that some hitters will be more likely to pull than others.

I'm not going to go into why you aren't getting the results you want with zone because that's a minefield discussion.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #3
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Last year we were told that the swing influence has been gone for years (even though the control was still in the game and actually gave rumble feedback when you used it). This year even the feedback was removed.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...4&postcount=64 (Nem is relaying dev info from '15 Community Day)

So, no, there's no way other than to swing earlier/later. Except that some hitters will be more likely to pull than others.

I'm not going to go into why you aren't getting the results you want with zone because that's a minefield discussion.
Thanks and fair enough. Let me ask you though, assuming you use directional, does holing up and to the left/right help hit home runs and/or balls into the gap?

Streaming on Twitch
Old 08-11-2016, 07:08 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 0

In my limited experience with directional, up gets on top of the ball, down gets under it. So I always aimed down and away. If I aimed up, I would ground ball most of the time. Only reason to go up is if you're facing a popup pitchers so you can get better wood on the ball instead of getting too far underneath. Also helped me lay off some of the outside throws but not all of them. ****ing curveballs...
Old 08-11-2016, 07:16 PM   #5
Pro

Hey guys,

Am I missing something. I thought with Zone hitting you can aim with the directional stick and influence where the ball will go?

For example I am using Zone hitting and if a pitcher throws a pitch outside I press the left stick towards the right and end up slapping the ball to the opposite side of the field (Using a right handed batter).

Or if there is a pitch down in the zone. I press the left stick down and swing to make contact. Is this not the case?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2016, 10:54 PM   #6
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtownwaves
In my limited experience with directional, up gets on top of the ball, down gets under it. So I always aimed down and away. If I aimed up, I would ground ball most of the time. Only reason to go up is if you're facing a popup pitchers so you can get better wood on the ball instead of getting too far underneath. Also helped me lay off some of the outside throws but not all of them. ****ing curveballs...
I have to say I disagree with this.

I would love to watch/read something that goes into specifics about the best way to hit with directional hitting.

Streaming on Twitch
Old 08-12-2016, 02:49 AM   #7
Banned

Steven78's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jada855
Hey guys,

Am I missing something. I thought with Zone hitting you can aim with the directional stick and influence where the ball will go?

For example I am using Zone hitting and if a pitcher throws a pitch outside I press the left stick towards the right and end up slapping the ball to the opposite side of the field (Using a right handed batter).

Or if there is a pitch down in the zone. I press the left stick down and swing to make contact. Is this not the case?
You're just aiming where the bat is swinging with zone.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:42 AM   #8
MVP

COMMISSIONERHBK9's Arena

OVR: 19

can ramone help us out with directional and zone hitting cuz I'm so confuse.i don't even know which mode to pick and how to use it correctly

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »