Home

Why is the A.I in this game so horrible at times

This is a discussion on Why is the A.I in this game so horrible at times within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2016, 12:28 PM   #25
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Worst AI base running of all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
I don't think people are questioning occasional CPU base running mistakes in trying to stretch a base. I also understand what you are saying about the approach some people take on here pointing issues out but there are issues with the CPU on the base paths. In that video he posted, forget third base the CPU was heading home, he was not breaking down to stay at the bag or even slide. The CPU is constantly running themselves out of innings and it mostly happens on going to third and home situations with slow or fast rated runners.

Which I completely understand. My issue is that if I say I have not seen this happen in my franchise after a season and a half, which I haven't (honestly I really haven't) then I am just as crucified as a fan Boy or blatantly a liar to defend Sony.

While the Vets on here know me and that I don't have an agenda, it is still frustrating. I put as much time, if not more into this game as anybody, except maybe CB, Knight and a few others. While people always claim they hate being attacked for pointing out faults with the game, it works the other way as well.

I have my own theory on what causes a lot of these problems in game. I will not share it openly on these forums as it would serve no purpose at all.

I wish that everyone could enjoy the game as much as I do and I feel bad that they don't. But as much as I try to help it just doesn't seem to matter to anyone.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.

Last edited by Bullit; 08-29-2016 at 04:29 PM. Reason: cant type well on my phone
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2016, 02:07 PM   #26
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56
Re: Why is the A.I in this game so horrible at times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven78
You actually attempted to defend this?

Lol.

Did I really?

Reading is fundamental.
(so is comprehension)

lolz.

(in case you need help.....my main point was the use of NEVER)

There is likely at least one Youtube video of baserunning blunders that "should never and would never happen in baseball."

But of course...it's you...and me....so....carry on.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 08-29-2016, 05:08 PM   #27
MVP

forme95's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Did I really?

Reading is fundamental.
(so is comprehension)

lolz.

(in case you need help.....my main point was the use of NEVER)

There is likely at least one Youtube video of baserunning blunders that "should never and would never happen in baseball."

But of course...it's you...and me....so....carry on.

M.K.
Knight165
Never happens ......... https://youtu.be/qp6y8zbhs_M

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 08-29-2016, 06:11 PM   #28
Pro

shark547's Arena

I think it is important to remember that people on both sides of the issues are passionate about the game! People aren't always going to see the same things!

People just don't want their concerns to be dismissed. There are a number of posters on here who like to say the people complaining are "claiming" they are having an issue. Good luck getting anyone to listen to you when you say that. I really don't get what people expect out of that.

There are some crazy posters who come up with some out landish stuff every now and then. For the most part though I have seen and been annoyed by all most every issue brought up on these forums. I mostly play RTTS with a little bit of season so if I am seeing all these things I don't really understand how other people aren't.

I love this game and I want it to be better. A lot of these issues take the fun out of the game for people and I understand that. If you don't have the problem just be cognizant that people are not going to respond well if you say you don't have the issue. Be constructive in trying to help. No one cares if you don't have it. That is as dumb as telling someone who is chronically ill to "get over it" or "its all in their head."

Also changing the difficulty is not an option for everyone and should not make goofy things happen over and over again in the game.

For instance I have to play on veteran with the pitch speed turned all the way down. Even with it all the way down I rarely can catch up to a fastball above 95 mph. I can swing as soon as the pitcher releases the ball and I will still be late on the pitch. Not sure if it's because I run the game through a receiver or what the deal is. My TV is one of the best on the market for input lag. So anyone who suggests upping the difficulty to fix the problem is a no go for me. If I play on a higher difficulty I can't hit at all. Even now I am late on fastballs all the time.

I guess I felt like writing a book.....
Old 08-29-2016, 07:53 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 8

I think bad baserunning decisions are part of the game and I like them. What I have an issue with is when "bad baserunning decisions" are made but they turn out to work because the CPu magically knew the throw would be offline or to the wrong base or whatever. Guys shouldn't be taking an extra base that they normally wouldn't just because the GAME knows the throw is off line. A real baserunner wouldn't know this before the throw is made.

I also notice (or at least I perceive) that the CPU makes your throw offline or has your fielders double clutch, get sucked into the wall, etc. when it is apparent that the baserunner is going to get thrown out at 2nd on what IRL is normally a double or when your RF could nail the runner at 1st. Since IRL these are unlikely plays (another one is throwing out the runner from 1st at 2nd on a hard hit to RF), it seems to "force" an offline throw in order to allow that double to happen and compensate for "too fast fielders" or whatever.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:37 PM   #30
Rookie

RockPowderDownLoL's Arena

i don't mind the baserunning mistakes by the cpu cause sometimes they work and have caught me off guard. i have seen this exact play though a few times.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:55 PM   #31
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockPowderDownLoL
i don't mind the baserunning mistakes by the cpu cause sometimes they work and have caught me off guard. i have seen this exact play though a few times.
Yes....this play is definitely not an A.I. issue...but some poor coding.
The coding that gives the info to the runner..."Hey....they defender with the ball is 10 feet away...STOP RUNNING" is not getting to the runner.

However....with "regular" bad baserunning blunders....it would go a long way to having guys accept them if they put in being caught in a rundown.....the runner stops...realizing he screwed up...and the rundown ensues....instead of the runner just going straight through the bag with no hesitation and the catcher waiting with that really bad ole' tag.

M.K.
Knight165
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2016, 09:02 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark547

Be constructive in trying to help.
Also changing the difficulty is not an option for everyone and should not make goofy things happen over and over again in the game.

Well then that rules out a lot of my "trying to help" because I'm one that will try to find a slider solution to "mod" the issue (since you can't actually fix the code that triggers the bad logic, I'll try to make the bad logic trigger less often).

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »