Home

Drafted players too good at batting immediately?

This is a discussion on Drafted players too good at batting immediately? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2016, 01:39 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Drafted players too good at batting immediately?

Do you guys find that the players you draft in Franchise mode are immediately really good at batting?

I feel like its pretty rare in the majors for a team to draft a position player and then have them play either in the majors that year or the next year, but with some of the players I've drafted their hitting stats are so great compared to many other bench and even starters that I want to call them up.

Their overall is still mid to upper 60s which I'm fine with. But having contact in 70s and power in low 40s is better than a lot of my players. Wondering if you guys have any in house rules for this in terms of editing their stats to be more realistic? Or forcing yourself to call them up only after a few years of proving it in the minors to make it more like the real MLB.

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2016, 09:44 AM   #2
Rookie

consecutive27's Arena

Re: Drafted players too good at batting immediately?

I do see some players like this. I think some of it has to do with what type of player you scout for when discovering prospects. If you are looking for power and contact, you will see more guys with good batting attributes and weak in the field, and often slow too. I usually keep them in the minors for at least one season until their fielding gets better. Another thing to consider is you do not want their potential to go down if you can help it. So, I would rather the player mash in the minors for an extra year or two than come up early and struggle and have their potential possibly go down. Even if their hitting ratings are a little bit better than some of the MLB guys, they may underachieve when they get called up, or the difference between their performance and the other guy will be negligible. I prefer to wait until the prospect is more of a sure thing until calling them up.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:52 AM   #3
Rookie

consecutive27's Arena

Another advantage of this approach is that you get more bang for your buck early on in the player's career. You get six relatively cheap years guaranteed either way, so would you rather have an overall rating of say 71-90 taking up those years, or 80-90? It is pretty cheap to buy up arbitration years early in a player's career even if they are going to be a star.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:35 PM   #4
Rookie

Yeah that is true their fielding ratings are pretty crappy in the low 40s.

I was just surprised they were already higher batting stats even compared to a lot of the top 100 prospects already in the game.

I think I'll take your advice and keep them in the minors for a little while to buff up their fielding because especially with the weird fielding mechanics and how they take all day to throw the ball sometimes I will never be getting people out with their stats.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »