Home

A question on training assignments in Franchise?

This is a discussion on A question on training assignments in Franchise? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2016, 07:57 AM   #1
Rookie

Ruben2424's Arena

OVR: 0
A question on training assignments in Franchise?

How long should I wait to change a players training assignment? How long does it take before a certain attribute being trained increases? I can't seem to find a conclusive answer anywhere!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2016, 09:42 AM   #2
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Re: A question on training assignments in Franchise?

Wish I could help you, but training is one of the few mysteries in this game I've yet to figure out. I do know that training can help stymie a decline in an attribute. Beyond that, I have no idea.

I also wish I knew if there is any point to picking NOT TRAINING in the menu. extensive research has been inconclusive at best.

I think what I'm trying to say is: your guess is as good as mine. Let me know if you find anything out.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:21 PM   #3
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

I change up the training each month.

Or just leave it on auto. But if you want to handle it, the best way to do it IMO is at the start of each month to change their training assignment. use your common sense for each player and train them in area's you feel will best improve their overall game.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 10-13-2016, 12:29 PM   #4
MVP

forme95's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
I change up the training each month.

Or just leave it on auto. But if you want to handle it, the best way to do it IMO is at the start of each month to change their training assignment. use your common sense for each player and train them in area's you feel will best improve their overall game.
That is how I do it also. I mostly leave it on auto, but I do change a few if I don't agree with the auto displayed.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 10-14-2016, 07:00 PM   #5
Rookie

Ruben2424's Arena

OK so for those of you that set training to auto, have you guys ever noticed how long it took the CPU to change the training assignment?

It's so frustrating that the developers have never taken the time to fully explain this to us!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2016, 07:59 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

I don't know how long it takes or how much it impacts, but I change very infrequently.

Usually I set them according to what long-term theme/plan/type his skill profile seems to be showing and if I want to maximize it or try to change him into something else.

I probably check mostly at the All-Star Break and then again next April.

I do Auto for any player who is a C or lower prospect (mostly to streamline the workload and maybe those guys might benefit from more micromangement than I'm going to do).

For veterans and B or higher prospects, I'll manual train and set the program to whatever they need or I want to maximize. For example, for Davis in my carryover (36) I'll focus on power. I do the same for Gallo and Schwarber in my fresh franchise - maximize their skill profiles while their trajectory is likely at its zenith.

Last edited by KBLover; 10-14-2016 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:09 AM   #7
Rookie

Ruben2424's Arena

We should be able to upgrade our franchise players the same exact way we would develope OUR own player in RTTS. Hits, good AB's, defensive work, etc give each player XP (like in RTTS) therefore letting us develope a player how we see fit. Plus it'd be cool if certain coaches gave discounts on certain attribute costs based on the coaches expertise and prospects with an A or B potential can start off by having a double XP advantage in order to develop them even faster! I think this would be the most efficient and realistic way to develop our young prospects rather than just assigning a training regiment that barely gives us any feedback on player progression.

I really think this system would work just for the simple fact that the better the player is, the more expensive the upgrades would be. So it's not like we'll be able to turn a player like Mike Trout into a 99 overall player just on the simple fact that his attributes are already so high that it'd cost way too much to further raise his attributes...not to mention keep them from regressing if not trained (like in RTTS)!
Old 10-15-2016, 03:49 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 26

From the distant past:

Quote:
You must train your players in the areas that you want them to improve/stop regressing
2. If you want a player to improve his contact, try the batting cages
3. If you want a player to improve his power, hit the weights
4. If you have a hitting coach that has a (+2) or above on both contact and power assign your player to "hitting coach" (this will allow you to not waste time with the weights and cages)
5. If you want to improve stamina, have your player do some long distance running.
6. Improve speed with "sprints"
7. etc., etc., etc.,

***Do not train a player in more than three (3) categories as doing so seems to cause regression across the board for this player.

*** Players do not progress at or after the age of 31. If you want players to hold steady at this point (for 2-4 seasons), train them in "stretching" only. DO NOT TRAIN PLAYERS IN ANY OTHER CATEGORY (other than stretching) WHEN THEY ARE 31 OR OLDER AS DOING SO WILL RESULT IN A DRAMATIC REGRESSION.

*** Change training after every series or week for best results.

In the same thread, from Russell...

It's your coaches, player potential, and your training. But its not an exact science. What you want to do is pick three categories to train each player in any more than that and I believe its over kill. (I'll get confirmation from Kolbe but I'm pretty sure its 3)

Now this is not the official word this is what I do so don't take this part as the gospel. I look at players and decide where I think I should focus to become the type of players I want or the type of players they are already developing into. For instance I traded P.Fielder for C.Pena in my franchise so since hes already a power hitter I choose batting cages + hitting coach + infield drills. I leave them there for one month at a time. Then I may switch it up hitting coach + weight training + infield drills.

I just alternate my 1 Baseman training between those two splits from month to month. I do this for every position now it gets a little tricky when you are trying to develop five tool players in the outfield. Because you want them to be fast, hit for avg., hit for power, have a good glove, and a nice arm it will quickly become a labor of love and pain.

Batting cages, hitting coach, weight training, sprints, long distance running, base running drills, long toss, and shagging fly balls. You have those 8 training assignments and since you should only have players doing three at a time well you get the picture.

Player around with only choosing three at a time and trying to focus on a couple of areas. Then try to find that holly grail of how much time is enough time to train 2 weeks, 3 weeks, a month etc. I just finished season 3 in my franchise and I made the mistake of trying to do to much in a given month. My players didn't progress very much at all. In hindsight the season before I stuck with a general them for each position and a lot of my youngsters with A and B potential had gains of 10 points to 16 overall points max.

Hope that helps I'll do some testing right now in 09 and I'll post the results
That post goes back to 2009, but I think training might be one of the features that has changed very little.

Main difference I see is that you can only train one skill instead of three, but that skill can train 1-4 different stats. I still would stick to the monthly schedule, and only train Durability after 31 until we get new input on it.

Last edited by Mike3207; 10-15-2016 at 04:13 PM. Reason: one skill

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »