Home

PS4 Pro Native 4K resolution running at 60 FPS with HDR support?

This is a discussion on PS4 Pro Native 4K resolution running at 60 FPS with HDR support? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 03:18 PM   #73
Banned

MythicalGnome's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: PS4 Pro Native 4K resolution running at 60 FPS with HDR support?

I don't know of anyone trying MLB yet, but there is good reason to believe that it could be a little smoother. It's boosting a lot of games, and so far I don't know of Sony non-Pro ones that it at least doesn't do something with.

But games that are coded with problems tend to still have some of the same problems so who knows. Until Dawn was improved a LOT in the FPS.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:20 PM   #74
Banned

MythicalGnome's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnixen
I have the PS4 Pro and MLB The Show 16 and you are not missing anything at all if you just have the standard PS4. It runs great but it is exactly the same as far as I can tell not that it is a bad thing because MLB The Show 16 is already fantastic on the standard PS4 in my opinion. Hopefully though MLB The Show 17 will take full advantage of the Pro's power and features including HDR and 4K. If it does not I will be highly disappointed and upset.

Honestly though I have a real good feeling MLB The Show 17 is going to see by far the biggest graphical upgrades since the series started. For many reasons like finally not having to make it for PS3. That alone should have a big impact on the graphics since they can now just focus on PS4. I maybe wrong but I think the reason MLB The Show on PS4 up to 16 still kind of looks too much like the PS3 versions is because Sony had to make it for PS3 too. Also I am hoping Sony had the tools for the Pro back when they first started working on 17. So that way they should be able to take advantage of all the goodies that the Pro offers.

Again I could very well be wrong but I really think MLB The Show 17 is going to be a pretty big leap as far as graphics is concerned on PS4 Pro of course and even the standard PS4 will see a very nice improvement thanks to no more PS3 version
I mean maybe, but nothing so far has pointed at any HUGE leaps in graphics. I remain a skeptic. I bet more in year two of not having a PS3 version we will see bigger upgrades.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:08 PM   #75
Pro

MLB The Show is not exactly the kind of game that people would go out and test with the new boost mode. I asked around but no one bit.

To summarize, the new beta firmware has a boost mode available to PS4 Pro owners. This means that the extra power in the PS4 Pro will be available to games that did not receive a PS4 Pro patch.

Practically speaking, this means that games with an unlocked frame rate (i.e. allowed to fluctuate beyond 30 FPS) will see improved performance. Games that are capped at 30 FPS will only see improved performance if they ever dipped below 30 FPS. So far I've heard of good results in games that were tested.

I imagine that the results will be based on whether the game is CPU bound or GPU bound. Games that are CPU bound might see a performance increase, but not dramatic since the PS4 Pro CPU was not a huge improvement over the vanilla PS4.

If I knew about the beta and got a code, I'd be testing all versions of MLB The Show like mad, but alas, I was too busy.

Here's a demanding Just Cause 3 scene with boost mode enabled and disabled: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX0SzXGdSxM

Last edited by Spokker; 02-04-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2017, 07:05 PM   #76
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Question Re: PS4 Pro Native 4K resolution running at 60 FPS with HDR support?

So, is there any upside in upgrading to a PS4 PRO if what I am mainly playing is the Show?

A Work in Progress
Old 02-04-2017, 08:12 PM   #77
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubby blue
Anybody that has a ps4 pro, have you tried the power boost feature yet? Their suppose to be a patch that allows you to enable this feature for any game. I thought it might help with stuttering on cutscenes.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Boost is tied to System Update 4.5. So until that is released, it was rolled out yesterday for Beta Testers, nobody really has access to Power Boost. As soon as I do I would be more than happy to test it.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:23 PM   #78
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
So, is there any upside in upgrading to a PS4 PRO if what I am mainly playing is the Show?
Honestly, I don't know yet. 16 does look better on my 4k TV with the Pro. Its not incredibly better, but it is better in my opinion.

But we don't know about '17 yet. Will it have more advantages for Pro users? The info just isn't available yet. Honestly I would not have upgraded but I stumbled into an incredible deal for my 4K TV, so I upgraded my PS4 as well. I figure I might as well since I had the TV.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.

Last edited by Bullit; 02-05-2017 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:00 AM   #79
Banned

MythicalGnome's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
100% sure there will be. All Sony games have at least downsampling but a couple Japanese games. All of them have 1440p-4K modes as well and improve a variety of things. The Show team has had the Pro kit probably for some time. There can be as many improvements as the dev wants to there to be. Depends on what they are doing.

I think this game is an easy candidate for 1440p native and all kinds of bells and whistles, checkerboard 4K, or possibly even native 4K, though, I doubt 4k native if they want other things, and a whole host of graphical improvements more subtle than not in many circumstances. To me a checkerboard or 1440p option with better graphics would be the way to go. Native 4K is to demanding and right now The Show does not really have the textures for 4K to even matter IMO.

I play all my games on PC and I prefer downsampling to native 4K because everything needs AA to look good. Sometimes native 4K can look ugly if it has no AA.

At any rate you can expect something for sure. As the Pro install base grows more it will be catered to more.

The new boost mode is going to get a LOT of word of mouth you can bet that.

PS owners are finally getting the chance to play Witcher 3 and AC Unity any other demanding games like Until Dawn with decent framerates. Even looks like Bloodborne see certain improvements to framerate--game really needs a patch for Pro mode COME ON downsampling!

That's a big deal to console owners. Not a big deal to me as I have a PC but to me that is HUGE for console-only folks that at least grasp the idea of better FPS.

I think in 2018 you can expect Show to be looking extra delicious if all goes well.

And just so people are clear the only things Boost mode will improve are FPS and loading times in general. It could prevent a dynamic resolution game to attain higher resolutions as well. That is about what the boost mode seems capable of atm.

Last edited by MythicalGnome; 02-05-2017 at 02:05 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:38 AM   #80
MVP

RidinDwnKingsley's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit
Honestly, I don't know yet. 16 does look better on my 4k TV with the Pro. Its not incredibly better, but it is better in my opinion.

But we don't know about '17 yet. Will it have more advantages for Pro users? The info just isn't available yet. Honestly I would not have upgraded but I stumbled into an incredible deal for my 4K TV, so I upgraded my PS4 as well. I figure I might as well since I had the TV.

I agree, 16 is better slightly now with the pro. Excited what 17 will bring in 4k.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »