Home

PS4 Pro Native 4K resolution running at 60 FPS with HDR support?

This is a discussion on PS4 Pro Native 4K resolution running at 60 FPS with HDR support? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 01:31 AM   #65
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: PS4 Pro Native 4K resolution running at 60 FPS with HDR support?

I know this might be late for a few people but it's been found out that the PS4 pro actually hurts performance unless you are playing on a 4k tv. This is because the game is still upscaled, but then downscaled to your tv, causing stuttering, dropped frames and generally poorer performance.

It's been well documented so far but I got this information from gameranx: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2o5DeM3WT8

It's the first story of the video.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2016, 09:08 PM   #66
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
I know this might be late for a few people but it's been found out that the PS4 pro actually hurts performance unless you are playing on a 4k tv. This is because the game is still upscaled, but then downscaled to your tv, causing stuttering, dropped frames and generally poorer performance.
No, this is misleading. Just to clarify:

1. Games without a PS4 Pro patch run exactly the same as the PS4 version. So the news you bring has nothing do with MLB 16. Again, just want to clarify for anyone playing the game on PS4 Pro.

2. Games that have a PS4 Pro patch will run exactly the same whether you are outputting a 1080p or 4K signal. When run on a 1080p TV, the PS4 Pro is still rendering natively at 1440p or 4K. However, the PS4 sends a 1080p signal to your TV.

You are still benefiting from better visuals (such as less jagged edges). It has nothing to do with 4K or 1080p TVs. In other words, there is no way to force a Pro-enabled game to run like a non-Pro game on PS4 Pro.

Information is getting warped like in a game of telephone. The full scoop is here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...-base-hardware

And the problem, if you can call it that, is not affecting all games.

Last edited by Spokker; 11-13-2016 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:10 PM   #67
Banned

MythicalGnome's Arena

Yeah that is totally preposterous. How one could come to that conclusion and think it is true is hilarious. Inept to say the least.

The PS4 improves most of all on 1080P plus modes IMO. One could say 4K native is not even that special. It's just huge resolution at the cost of everything else. I only have a 1080p TV so I really want Show 17 to either be 1080p with awesome graphics or maybe downscaled 1440p like TLOU remaster at 60FPS.

I don't think that MLB 17 is a good candidate for 2160p 60FPS for some reason. The crowds and having to do weather on top of that and everything else seems like it will be too much.

I'd much rather we get a super kick *** 1080p mode.

I just think it's funny someone watches a youtube video like it's gospel now. LOL.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:05 PM   #68
Rookie

OVR: 3

Does the pro upscale the game? The Xbox one s upscale the games, I have it and it makes all games look better.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:49 PM   #69
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinofan
Does the pro upscale the game? The Xbox one s upscale the games, I have it and it makes all games look better.
Sure, the Pro will upscale the game, but it's not what you think. The native resolution is still the same as the original PS4. There is no PS4 Pro patch for MLB The Show.

I believe you may be misinformed about the Xbox One S. The Xbox One S itself cannot make Xbox One games look better on a 4K TV. They are still rendered at exactly the same resolution. The upscaling process simply means it's taking a 1080p image and blowing it up to 4K resolution on a 4K screen. If it didn't do this, the image would be much smaller than the screen itself.

The process cannot add any detail and any improvements you see are either placebo or caused by something else, not the Xbox One S. The upscaling technique does soften the image somewhat, but that would happen regardless of whether your Xbox One S sent a 4K signal or a 1080p signal. It depends on which device has a better upscaler, the Xbox or the TV.

This does not apply to Xbox One S games that support HDR. You will see a benefit in colors and contrast, but the resolution is the same.

Last edited by Spokker; 11-20-2016 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:51 PM   #70
Rookie

OVR: 3

Are there any videos of mlb 16 on ps4 pro?
Old 11-21-2016, 11:28 AM   #71
MVP

tnixen's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinofan
Are there any videos of mlb 16 on ps4 pro?
I have the PS4 Pro and MLB The Show 16 and you are not missing anything at all if you just have the standard PS4. It runs great but it is exactly the same as far as I can tell not that it is a bad thing because MLB The Show 16 is already fantastic on the standard PS4 in my opinion. Hopefully though MLB The Show 17 will take full advantage of the Pro's power and features including HDR and 4K. If it does not I will be highly disappointed and upset.

Honestly though I have a real good feeling MLB The Show 17 is going to see by far the biggest graphical upgrades since the series started. For many reasons like finally not having to make it for PS3. That alone should have a big impact on the graphics since they can now just focus on PS4. I maybe wrong but I think the reason MLB The Show on PS4 up to 16 still kind of looks too much like the PS3 versions is because Sony had to make it for PS3 too. Also I am hoping Sony had the tools for the Pro back when they first started working on 17. So that way they should be able to take advantage of all the goodies that the Pro offers.

Again I could very well be wrong but I really think MLB The Show 17 is going to be a pretty big leap as far as graphics is concerned on PS4 Pro of course and even the standard PS4 will see a very nice improvement thanks to no more PS3 version

Last edited by tnixen; 11-21-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2017, 10:26 AM   #72
Pro

cubby blue's Arena

OVR: 2

Anybody that has a ps4 pro, have you tried the power boost feature yet? Their suppose to be a patch that allows you to enable this feature for any game. I thought it might help with stuttering on cutscenes.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Bulls
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »