Home

Facial Hair on the Yankees?

This is a discussion on Facial Hair on the Yankees? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-08-2017, 07:55 AM   #25
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Facial Hair on the Yankees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod
Why not create another layer within character development that can be scripted to on/off based on the team an individual plays for? You can accomplish this in Maya (maybe 3ds Max?) by creating a model with all the head hair, then model the facial hair separately. Once complete, you can setup a script in MEL to attach/detach (i.e. render) the facial hair when required. The main game would require a boolean value of something like (team.Yankees == true), then player.facialHair == false).

A few character creation systems within games use the same (or similar) techniques. Granted, they're typically only required to render the hair once per save.

I'm oversimplifying the process and understand this would potentially be a huge time commitment if done for every player in the game. Also, the hit on performance would be significant when the render engine had to update a player model.

Just my thoughts...
Because it doesn't work like that
When a player is face scanned they dont then ask him to shave and then scan one for a clean shaven render. Without doing that, the character artist would have to guess what a player looks like under that hair. And if they guess, there is a good chance they will guess wrong and he won't turn out looking like the real deal.

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2017, 10:14 AM   #26
Cod
MVP

Cod's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
Because it doesn't work like that
When a player is face scanned they dont then ask him to shave and then scan one for a clean shaven render. Without doing that, the character artist would have to guess what a player looks like under that hair. And if they guess, there is a good chance they will guess wrong and he won't turn out looking like the real deal.
Curious, because you are "laughing" at my comment, have you done character modelling before? I'm only a novice CG modeler (been using Maya for ~4 years), so my knowledge may be very optimistic at this point.

The processes are very similar. Its takes a lot of effort, but is possible and doesn't require a second face scan. EA's Game Face implemented a very rudimentary way of doing this. Any face scanned with the software can have facial hair added/removed with minimal effort. Another similar process is used by organizations to collect biometric data and render "predictions" of what people look like with different hair, facial features, aging, etc..

The real problem is, us, the consumers who demand everything in video games be damned near perfect. We need more realistic expectations.

Last edited by Cod; 01-08-2017 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-08-2017, 10:39 AM   #27
Cod
MVP

Cod's Arena

OVR: 10

Sorry for back-to-back posts, but I forgot to mention something. Even if someone has facial hair, there must be a way to scan a face that finds the point of the face under the beard. Any scan system should be able to accomplish this with adjustments to the computer vision algorithms. Think of it working like an xray, except it can just filter out any hair (body, facial, etc.).

Obviously, this type of system is way outside the budget of The Show. I just wanted to share a possibility for the future.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:07 AM   #28
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

I just need to pop in and say how ridiculous this thread has gotten.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:33 AM   #29
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod
Curious, because you are "laughing" at my comment, have you done character modelling before?
Sorry, i didn't mean to imply I wal lolling at you.
I used the lol smiley because I was stealing Ramone's words.

A Work in Progress

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »