Home

HDR Physical Based Rendering?

This is a discussion on HDR Physical Based Rendering? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-23-2017, 03:50 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
HDR Physical Based Rendering?

Will we get both in this year's game? SDS, have been implementing PBR in phases (small team) Will HDR implementation hinder PBR integration? If we get HDR, I'm hoping we get an HDR menu(bright/darkness) and nit count.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2017, 10:43 AM   #2
MVP

tnixen's Arena

Re: HDR Physical Based Rendering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetuous65
Will we get both in this year's game? SDS, have been implementing PBR in phases (small team) Will HDR implementation hinder PBR integration? If we get HDR, I'm hoping we get an HDR menu(bright/darkness) and nit count.
I would like to think that all first party games released in 2017 and beyond must have HDR support. Also I think HDR and PBR are two completely different things. I will be highly disappointed if MLB The Show 17 does not include some type of HDR support! I bought my 4K HDR Sony TV and The PS4 Pro specifically with MLB The Show in mind. Although I must admit even MLB The Show 16 looks wonderful even though it does not have HDR or even native 4k. Well it up converts it to 4K but that is not really the same.

Here's hoping for Native 4K/60 HDR gameplay!

I guess we will all find out very soon and I would be lying if I said I was not getting really excited and anxious

Man I love this game!!!!

Last edited by tnixen; 01-24-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:11 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

It's the end of January and no concrete info. I am also waiting to see the visual upgrades with the ps4 pro
Old 01-24-2017, 03:02 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnixen
I would like to think that all first party games released in 2017 and beyond must have HDR support. Also I think HDR and PBR are two completely different things. I will be highly disappointed if MLB The Show 17 does not include some type of HDR support! I bought my 4K HDR Sony TV and The PS4 Pro specifically with MLB The Show in mind. Although I must admit even MLB The Show 16 looks wonderful even though it does not have HDR or even native 4k. Well it up converts it to 4K but that is not really the same.

Here's hoping for Native 4K/60 HDR gameplay!

I guess we will all find out very soon and I would be lying if I said I was not getting really excited and anxious

Man I love this game!!!!
I know that HDR and PBR are 2 different things, this is why I asked. They are a small team and they need to focus their resources, which is why PBR is done in phases per development cycle.

Last edited by Impetuous65; 01-27-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:56 PM   #5
Banned

MythicalGnome's Arena

A small team? I thought MLB was like 80 people or something?

A small team in development terms is 15-20 people. This is not a small team.

A smaller budget than AAA for sure.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2017, 10:13 PM   #6
MVP

tnixen's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MythicalGnome
A small team? I thought MLB was like 80 people or something?

A small team in development terms is 15-20 people. This is not a small team.

A smaller budget than AAA for sure.
Actually the MLB The Show development team is very small compared to other games like NBA2K for example which probably has at least double if not more of MLB The Shows development team. If only MLB The Show had as many developers as 2K does imagine how much more they could get down in each game cycle.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:30 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 21

You would think that Sony had a corporate directive for all their video games being developed in 2016 and released in 2017 code for HDR/4K. I would expect that, but what do I know.

All I know is that if the Show is released and does not take advantage of this for the PS4 Pro, it is a huge miss. HDR/4K is one of the "big" technology jumps for 2017...for a title under the Sony brand to not incorporate would be very odd...

C
Old 01-25-2017, 08:53 AM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
You would think that Sony had a corporate directive for all their video games being developed in 2016 and released in 2017 code for HDR/4K. I would expect that, but what do I know.

All I know is that if the Show is released and does not take advantage of this for the PS4 Pro, it is a huge miss. HDR/4K is one of the "big" technology jumps for 2017...for a title under the Sony brand to not incorporate would be very odd...

C
I think this may be a case by case basis or a production issue. Lets take 3D for example, Playstation 3D, directive did not affect all the titles only a select few e.g. KillZone 3, MLB the Show, Socom fell under the umbrella of 3D and MOVE SUPPORT other games didn't have to have those features. If Sony is going to mandate such a directive they need to provide additional personnel, instead of laying off redundant positions at SDS. That's if additional personnel is needed to get these features up and running in time for beta code.

If I had to choose between the 3 as you put it for the PRO

In order of importance too me

Expansion of PBR
4K if you have the PRO even if its 4K checkerboard
HDR with a nit menu, or
HDR with no menu

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »