Home

Polygon Smarter AI Fielding

This is a discussion on Polygon Smarter AI Fielding within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-15-2017, 10:35 AM   #1
Pro

smiley3's Arena

OVR: 1
Polygon Smarter AI Fielding

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/15/146...er-ai-fielding

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2017, 10:56 AM   #2
Pro

smiley3's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Polygon Smarter AI Fielding

No more rages for fielders taking there sweet time!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 02-15-2017, 10:57 AM   #3
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Cool stuff. More variety in ordinary gameplay elements is always good.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:13 AM   #4
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

OVR: 0

It would be cool if they have a hustle attribute for players. Or, if not a hustle attribute, some sort way to have more variance on players' tendencies to bust it on routine plays than just speed. That way you could have a slow player who almost always busts his tail on every grounder, or a fast player that still dogs it on most routine plays.

But it sounds like they are trying to make the CPU behave appropriately based on context, which is a great step forward. Once we see the game in extended action for ourselves the updates will probably be very obvious.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:49 PM   #5
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypoLuxa13
It would be cool if they have a hustle attribute for players. Or, if not a hustle attribute, some sort way to have more variance on players' tendencies to bust it on routine plays than just speed. That way you could have a slow player who almost always busts his tail on every grounder, or a fast player that still dogs it on most routine plays.

But it sounds like they are trying to make the CPU behave appropriately based on context, which is a great step forward. Once we see the game in extended action for ourselves the updates will probably be very obvious.
I would like to see this too...

Manny Ramirez was notorious for not running the ball out, so that coupled with the fact that he is slow, would definitely make it look more like "Manny".

Robinson Cano is another example of someone who does not hustle on routine ground balls, but he actually isn't that slow. So having him practically walk to first on a ground out, but bust it out the box on a double, would be an awesome contrast even for the same player.

However, I feel this is more of a personality trait and not something that can be measured, but there are definitely levels to hustle even if you cannot quantify it...i.e. who hustles more Bryce Harper or Mike Trout?...hard to tell who hustles more, but their hustle type is different.

Last edited by El_MaYiMbE; 02-15-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2017, 02:57 PM   #6
Stop! Homer Time!

theaub's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
I would like to see this too...

Manny Ramirez was notorious for not running the ball out, so that coupled with the fact that he is slow, would definitely make it look more like "Manny".

Robinson Cano is another example of someone who does not hustle on routine ground balls, but he actually isn't that slow. So having him practically walk to first on a ground out, but bust it out the box on a double, would be an awesome contrast even for the same player.

I feel this is more a personality trait however, and not something that can be measured, but there are definitely levels to hustle even if you cannot quantify it...i.e. who hustles more Bryce Harper or Mike Trout?...hard to tell who hustles more, but their hustle type is different.
Yup, and also hopefully there's situational context in place.

As an example, Edwin (rip) never ran out routine grounders or went very hard on routine doubleplay balls where he was the lead runner. But on the ALDS walkoff play, he was clocked at his fastest '1st to 2nd' time of the entire year (and Russ Martin, another guy who doesn't run out much was clocked at his fastest home to first time).

This kind of stuff to me is what's always been missing from the gameplay, so its good to see it start to be phased in.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »