Home

Will the new Disabled List rule be in?

This is a discussion on Will the new Disabled List rule be in? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-16-2017, 10:25 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Will the new Disabled List rule be in?

In future years they ought to spend a little more time coming up with ways to show the injuries in real time, and a few more cut scenes showing the hurt player with the trainers.

The current text-adventure pop-up box may be convenient, but seems oddly out of place since we have play-by-play announcers and graphical capabilities.

It's getting old.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:17 AM   #10
Rookie

timothythefirst's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTommy67
In future years they ought to spend a little more time coming up with ways to show the injuries in real time, and a few more cut scenes showing the hurt player with the trainers.

The current text-adventure pop-up box may be convenient, but seems oddly out of place since we have play-by-play announcers and graphical capabilities.

It's getting old.
I don't think there's ever been a sports game where when an injury occurs, you can actually see why the injury occurred. Like there'll be plays where the batted ball will hit the pitcher and he might get hurt (but more often the ball just bounces off of him and he fields it like nothing happened), or plays on madden where someone gets hit-sticked and injured.

But I mean, on any sports game, you might have a guy get an injury that says "sprained ankle", go back and watch the replay... and there's no "sprained ankle" animation at all or anything that even looks different from all the plays where they don't sprain their ankle.

even in real life when injuries happen with no apparent cause (like when a guy runs hard down the first base line and comes up limping cause he hurt his hamstring) there's usually a moment when the guy winces in pain or at least acknowledges the fact that he's hurt.

but whenever people complain about "not enough injuries" in sports games and the devs try to fix it we end up with guys tearing their ACL for no apparent reason every other game you play and then everybody complains that there's too many injuries.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:32 AM   #11
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

I agree that injuries need to become more dynamic. Lingering hamstring, minor rehab assignments to get back into shape before coming back to Big League Team.

But as far as frequency? I had no issues on 16. When playing games injuries are at 8 (and I saw my share of injuries in game), when I sim games around the league I use my sim slider set with injuries at default 5 and see plenty of guys around the league on the DL.

That was my experience with 16.

But I would love to see a refresh of injury types, and injuries lingering and affecting performance until fully healed, rehabbed etc.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2017, 08:10 AM   #12
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
I agree that injuries need to become more dynamic. Lingering hamstring, minor rehab assignments to get back into shape before coming back to Big League Team.

But as far as frequency? I had no issues on 16. When playing games injuries are at 8 (and I saw my share of injuries in game), when I sim games around the league I use my sim slider set with injuries at default 5 and see plenty of guys around the league on the DL.

That was my experience with 16.

But I would love to see a refresh of injury types, and injuries lingering and affecting performance until fully healed, rehabbed etc.
I've been wanting lingering injuries for a while now. Say one of your pitchers is pitching well for you the whole season but has a shoulder injury that causes him to miss the end of the season. Do you resign/keep him on your roster next year hoping that he bounces back from the shoulder injury and replicates his pitching stats from the previous season? Or do you let him go and let someone else roll the dice on him?

This level of decision making is sorely missing from franchise mode. I'm really hoping its added in this year.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 02-17-2017, 09:34 AM   #13
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I've been wanting lingering injuries for a while now. Say one of your pitchers is pitching well for you the whole season but has a shoulder injury that causes him to miss the end of the season. Do you resign/keep him on your roster next year hoping that he bounces back from the shoulder injury and replicates his pitching stats from the previous season? Or do you let him go and let someone else roll the dice on him?

This level of decision making is sorely missing from franchise mode. I'm really hoping its added in this year.
Lingering injuries is the #1 thing I wish Franchise mode had. I agree 100% with what you are saying, but I would be happy with just baby steps....

Pull a hammy, 15 day DL is over with, will probably be ready in the next 4-5 days but still at risk for aggravation if you play him before then.

I would also like to see things be a little more dynamic that is almost thinking outside the box. Like if your guy gets plunked in the elbow in first AB, he should wear an elbow guard for next few days to protect sore elbow. Or a guy jams a wrist sliding into second, he should wear wrist tape for the next 2 weeks to deal with nagging injury.

And depending on body part, the player should play differently.

Nagging hammy = run slower
Sore wrist = less power (small reduction)
Sore shoulder = arm strength in field
Etc....

None of these are enough to keep player out of the lineup, but just something to consider when you submit your lineup on a daily basis.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:03 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 2

One thing I do to deal with the lack of non-injuries in user games, is if there is a ball hit back at the pitcher, a player gets plunked, or a dive for a ball, I pull up random.org and flip three coins, if all three land on heads, then it's counted as an injury and I'll take them out of the game. I then head to the random number part, and set it to a value of -3 to 10. If it's a negative number, I treat it as they were taken out of the game as a precaution, if it's a positive number, I use the following scale:

0-4: 15 Day DL
5-8: 60 Day DL
9-10: Season Ending
Old 02-18-2017, 10:24 PM   #15
Pro

i dont see why it wouldnt be. was completed as a change back in Dec i think which is plenty of time
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2017, 11:12 AM   #16
MVP

forme95's Arena

As common as Tommy John's is, you would think it would be a injury all its own lol

Sent from my B1-730HD using Tapatalk

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »