Home

Do you Feel MLB uses enough ATTRIBUTES to DEFINE Players?

This is a discussion on Do you Feel MLB uses enough ATTRIBUTES to DEFINE Players? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-27-2017, 02:48 PM   #25
MVP

underdog13's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Do you Feel MLB uses enough ATTRIBUTES to DEFINE Players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aensland
Not sure what you're talking about but it sure was editable in a game made over 10 years ago.
There is already pull tendencies for hitters.
Has been for a long time too.
Hitters can be extreme pull, pull, balanced, push, extreme push.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2017, 02:48 PM   #26
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aensland
A cool attribute that was in the High Heat Baseball games was batter pull frequency. ex: Jose Bautista, a pull hitter is set on 95+. Miguel Cabrera, who hits the ball everywhere, is set in the 50-60 range.
A positive change would be to add that to the player card. Unless I'm missing something the only way to see it is during a game on the pause menu. When considering trades I'd like to know pull frequency for the player I'm acquiring.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:20 PM   #27
Pro

I think there is a lot left to be desired for MLB The Show as much as I love baseball. I found that I play NBA 2K17 way more because of all of those off ball animation and player likeness details. Like when I play a good team for example GS. I feel like I am going up against a CPU version of them and it makes it fun and challenging experience.

MLB The Show definitely has room to grow in this area for sure. I am hoping for this in those 1,500+ new animations for MLB 17 but for example in the current Game Stop Monday video where they are showing off Show Track.

Elvis Andrus is running at 18.4 MPH and that is FAST! The third base coach is just standing there like he just woke up! (I am sure the previous arm wheel animation is still there but never really worked accurately) and the batter on deck is stretching as if he has no idea what is going on. Tweaking those types of personalities in game will make the game feel completely different and organic. Not to mention lead off and base return animations are still the same!

But who know's maybe this will get improved in 18 or 19 but when the personalities section was introduced in MLB 16 there is still a chance to expand on this since it has returned for MLB 17!
Old 02-27-2017, 09:23 PM   #28
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb3
Off the top of my head, the current power rating is massively flawed as it governs both extra base hits and home runs. This has serious downside.

For example, Jose Ramirez was an XBH machine in 2016 - only Daniel Murphy had more 2B and 3B . And yet, Ramirez only hit 11 homers in 2016. He needs a power rating that can govern his relative inability to hit home runs and his relative knack for the extra base knock. The current power rating definition does not allow room for both of these extremes to exist. If he has a power rating of 70, he will hit far too many homers. And if he has a power rating of anything less, he will hit too few xbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
This....A million times over.

I mentioned sometime last year that there should be a difference between power and strength.

There should definitely be some sort of rating that determines someones knack to hit balls in the gap vs players who hit balls over the fence.

You explained it perfectly and I agree 10000000%.

Additionally I think that things like plate discipline and vision should play bigger roles. Players with good plate discipline and/or vision should have more borderline pitches called as balls and opposite for those who have low ratings.

Couple that with catchers framing pitches and makes the intangibles that are so unique to baseball shine more.

Sent from my Pixel using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by El_MaYiMbE; 02-27-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:32 PM   #29
Rookie

cervin29's Arena

I think with these new hit types you will see an increase in extra base hits in lower power rated players like Ramirez. I'm willing to bet higher contact players will be more valuable than in previous versions of the game simply for their ability to make solid contact more consistently than higher power lower vision players.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 02-27-2017, 09:51 PM   #30
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervin29
I think with these new hit types you will see an increase in extra base hits in lower power rated players like Ramirez. I'm willing to bet higher contact players will be more valuable than in previous versions of the game simply for their ability to make solid contact more consistently than higher power lower vision players.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Operation Sports mobile app
Cautiously optimistic this is true, but I feel like there are sliders that don't correlate directly to attributes.

Solid Hits is an example of how you can increase that globally but I wish you could dictate that on an individual​ level. Giancarlo Stanton makes solid contact always even when the ball isn't out of the park it's smoked constantly.

Again this is part of that the whole power vs strength vs solid hits vs doubles. It definitely needs to be fleshed out.

Sent from my Pixel using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 02-27-2017, 09:58 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by decga
I am going to say no. I used the Braves and I have one of the top 5 rated SS defensively in Andrelton Simmons and his range has always been limited in this game.
I have to agree somewhat with this poster, In all the years I have playing the Show, I never really feel like the game did a great job of showing off the defensive ranges of regular players vs superstars......A guy like Ozzie Smith should be an absolute blanket in the infield while a guy like (insert any below avg range player) should really struggle to make web jems and even be able to get to the ball
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2017, 01:53 AM   #32
Rookie

dherrera1015's Arena

These ratings need to be considered for MLB The Show's future iterations

Spoiler

Spoiler

Awareness and acceleration on the basepaths. Range and anticipation for fielding is also huge.
Spoiler

This would really help!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »