Home

MLB The Show 17 Commentary & Presentation Livestream Breakdown

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 17 Commentary & Presentation Livestream Breakdown within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2017, 06:29 PM   #17
Rookie

Jon Arbuckle's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 17 Commentary & Presentation Livestream Breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit
I only shut down the discussion because it was not the time or place for the discussion to continue. Once '17 comes out and you want to discuss uniforms by all means start a thread and "talk" until your hearts content. As long as its civil and constructive you will never hear a peep out of me.
I totally get that and have no problem with keeping threads on topic.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:35 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Are there more than or less than 1508 lines of new commentary?
But seriously, are the amount of lines in the game something SDS would keep track of?
I would think that would be such a high number, even Mr. Russell would have to stop counting. lol

A Work in Progress
Old 03-03-2017, 07:24 PM   #19
MVP

GoDucks1224's Arena

MLB The Show 17 Commentary & Presentation Livestream Breakdown

This is kind of off topic because it's concerning real baseball but.. Just wanna say, Capps delivery isn't illegal per the new rule. His delivery is classified as a hop-drag, which MLB has deemed legal. His practice delivery where he had added an additional hop, supposedly to build strength, is what prompted the rule. And MLB has said that he would be grandfathered in to further rule changes regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-03-2017, 09:11 PM   #20
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
Are there more than or less than 1508 lines of new commentary?
But seriously, are the amount of lines in the game something SDS would keep track of?
I would think that would be such a high number, even Mr. Russell would have to stop counting. lol
Why yes there are.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:50 PM   #21
MVP

https://youtu.be/1JegdBKDFn0?t=2495

Millennium discussed umpire bias. I have umpires set so they call everything perfectly but I'm wondering what the devs set it on when the test the game.

I can't imagine they would use variable umpires to test the game but until and unless they say which of the 3 umpire settings they use to test the game I don't know.

https://youtu.be/1JegdBKDFn0?t=5027

My only concern about "human AI" is they appear to have made every infielder into Brooks Robinson or Ozzie Smith and there won't be any infield hits in the mode I play - manage mode.

Maybe I'm wrong and granted we are still not seeing the final version of the game but that play in the video - if Prince Fielder gained another 50 lbs he would still beat the throw to first. True human AI would result in infielders making mistakes as they attempt to speed up their transfer and throw. I would think a fielder should be at a certain level of fielding attribute before they make that play.

Last edited by tessl; 03-04-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2017, 02:33 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
https://youtu.be/1JegdBKDFn0?t=5027

My only concern about "human AI" is they appear to have made every infielder into Brooks Robinson or Ozzie Smith and there won't be any infield hits in the mode I play - manage mode.

Maybe I'm wrong and granted we are still not seeing the final version of the game but that play in the video - if Prince Fielder gained another 50 lbs he would still beat the throw to first. True human AI would result in infielders making mistakes as they attempt to speed up their transfer and throw. I would think a fielder should be at a certain level of fielding attribute before they make that play.
We know they turned on certain development widgets during the streams to ensure the balls were always hit in the same location on the field during the stream, but we don't know if any other fielding widgets were enable to ensure they could show us what they wanted to show us. We won't know until the game is released.

I play with the Rockies and Nolan Arenado is one of baseball's best 3rd basemen and I swear he plays a lot better in the real world than he plays in MLB 16. So I welcome changes in this area. But it would also be a shame if infield hits all of a sudden became rare all because they wanted to fix other issues with the human AI. I am hoping that right balance will be found. Only time will tell.

MLB 17 will be the best baseball we have ever seen, until MLB 18 is released.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:11 PM   #23
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by My993C2
We know they turned on certain development widgets during the streams to ensure the balls were always hit in the same location on the field during the stream, but we don't know if any other fielding widgets were enable to ensure they could show us what they wanted to show us. We won't know until the game is released.

I play with the Rockies and Nolan Arenado is one of baseball's best 3rd basemen and I swear he plays a lot better in the real world than he plays in MLB 16. So I welcome changes in this area. But it would also be a shame if infield hits all of a sudden became rare all because they wanted to fix other issues with the human AI. I am hoping that right balance will be found. Only time will tell.

MLB 17 will be the best baseball we have ever seen, until MLB 18 is released.
Thanks for the reply. I always enjoy discussing the game with another manage mode user. We tend to see the game from a slightly different perspective than joystick users.

One thing for sure the developers have done a lot of work on the game this year and I'm looking forward to it. There is an old military maxim - no plan survives contact with the enemy. With that stipulation my tentative plan based upon what I think the game will be like is to get fast middle infielders and sinker ball/2 seam FB pitchers. It looks like the new animation equates to an out if the infielder gets to a ground ball regardless of runner speed. If that's true the key will be fast infielders who can get to the ball. After that the "human AI" takes over.

As millennium discussed in an earlier stream the new ball spin dynamic could result in sinker ball and 2 seam fastball pitchers becoming more valuable as they generate more ground balls. Ground ball pitchers + fast infielders = vacuum those ground balls.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:43 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
Thanks for the reply. I always enjoy discussing the game with another manage mode user. We tend to see the game from a slightly different perspective than joystick users.

One thing for sure the developers have done a lot of work on the game this year and I'm looking forward to it. There is an old military maxim - no plan survives contact with the enemy. With that stipulation my tentative plan based upon what I think the game will be like is to get fast middle infielders and sinker ball/2 seam FB pitchers. It looks like the new animation equates to an out if the infielder gets to a ground ball regardless of runner speed. If that's true the key will be fast infielders who can get to the ball. After that the "human AI" takes over.

As millennium discussed in an earlier stream the new ball spin dynamic could result in sinker ball and 2 seam fastball pitchers becoming more valuable as they generate more ground balls. Ground ball pitchers + fast infielders = vacuum those ground balls.
The thing about us weirdo "why would anyone ever want to play the game like this" MoM players is we have completely removed ourselves from the hitting and fielding equation and relying instead on the AI and player ratings to influence much but not all the outcomes of our games. So we'll have to start a new MoM thread soon, or resurrect an old one. I am definitely anticipating MLB 17 to play different from 16 and yeah for sure sinker and low 2 seam fastball pitches will result in more ground balls and this could lead to more infield outs because of the new AI throwing changes. But on the flip side there could be more doubles and triples than we have seen in the past.

My plan is to keep all the hitting related sliders at default for a while and try to not only play a number of my own MoM games before I begin tweaking sliders. But I also plan on doing some CPU vs CPU games to see how the default slider settings work there as well. A lot is unknown at this time. But this is outside the scope of presentations which is what this thread is supposed to be about.

Regarding presentations, I do like to play in full broadcast mode with the 4 second MoM mode pitch delay (I can always button mash if I don't want to wait the 4 seconds). So my MLB 16 MoM games tend to run a good two hours in length when I am not button mashing between pitches. The actual length of the game depends of course on if it is a low scoring quicker game, or a high scoring long drawn out affair. So the presentation changes are another aspect of MLB 17 I am looking forward to experience. For me my MoM games are about the experience of being at the game, watching game, having some influence on the decisions made in the game which do influence the outcome, but in the end still relying on the skills of the players and the luck of the draw to determine the final result.

Last edited by My993C2; 03-04-2017 at 04:46 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »