Home

Pitcher/Batter tendencies...are they in The Show?

This is a discussion on Pitcher/Batter tendencies...are they in The Show? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2017, 08:45 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Pitcher/Batter tendencies...are they in The Show?

For example, for AI controlled pitchers: Will they use their pitches in the ratios and situations as they do in real life?

For AI controlled hitters: Will they mimic their plate patience and chase tendencies against individual pitch types and count situations?

I really think this would add a unique "Batter vs. Pitcher" chess game that would reward those who commit even a cursory glance at a player's scouting report, and would make match-ups less random (e.g., "Tends to take the first strike" or "Will chase breaking balls in the dirt when behind in the count".

It could even be integrated into the pre-game with catcher/pitcher summary package to view tendencies.

I believe the old 2K games used to integrate the STATS iNC tendencies into the game....Was just wondering if The Show does the same- or would think about doing so?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2017, 08:57 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Pitcher/Batter tendencies...are they in The Show?

as for pitcher pitch type ratios, in the past it seems pitchers will throw what you have trouble hitting. what I'd wish for though is that the pitcher would still throw his most used pitch, but throw whatever you had trouble hitting more than he normally would.

A Work in Progress
Old 03-04-2017, 11:14 AM   #3
Rookie

cervin29's Arena

OVR: 0

If there was one thing I wish MLB the Show would look at implementing from MLB 2K was the pitcher tendencies. My only real problem with the show is the pitchers try to pitch me the same way even though I'm using 9 different hitters with different ratings and hot/cold zones. In MLB 2K they had percentage breakdown for how often a pitcher used each of his pitches, and would start to punish you for over exposing a pitch. If you kept spamming a curveball it would start to miss location and lose effectiveness.

It brought out the personality of hitters and pitchers. It also forced you to have a strategy for each batter you faced, as well as the pitcher you were hitting against.

I especially liked it when playing online head to head. In the Show 16 people love to spam the high and tight fastball, and even when you know it's coming and have your pci placed you still get jammed. In MLB 2K that pitch would start to creep over the plate and your success rate would go up.

The experience was much more in line with real life baseball IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 03-04-2017, 11:40 AM   #4
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9

It's been my observation that the CPU will definately expose your flaws as the controlled player, but only in extremely obvious patterns. For me, it's also pretty clear that the CPU is programmed to cue off of your timing grades because if you are on a pitch, (even if swung+missed) you're unlikely see the same pitch again. All of this also probably differs depending what level you play on.

As for hitters, I hardly notice tendencies about them, I look for them in players but don't get the feeling it's at all there. Their attributes are more noticeable than tendencies. Tendencies such as, swinging happy near the zone, or being extremely patient at the plate even to a fault, first pitch/early count attackers.... I've never noticed, gotten an indication that the game exercises player specific batting tendencies. I would say attributes are carrying most of the weight. If that's right I hope it will begin to change over the next few years.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:38 PM   #5
E=MC(2)

Mitchrapp's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by @legendm0de
It's been my observation that the CPU will definately expose your flaws as the controlled player, but only in extremely obvious patterns. For me, it's also pretty clear that the CPU is programmed to cue off of your timing grades because if you are on a pitch, (even if swung+missed) you're unlikely see the same pitch again. All of this also probably differs depending what level you play on.

As for hitters, I hardly notice tendencies about them, I look for them in players but don't get the feeling it's at all there. Their attributes are more noticeable than tendencies. Tendencies such as, swinging happy near the zone, or being extremely patient at the plate even to a fault, first pitch/early count attackers.... I've never noticed, gotten an indication that the game exercises player specific batting tendencies. I would say attributes are carrying most of the weight. If that's right I hope it will begin to change over the next few years.
I remember an at bat that I swung on an out side pitch, and missed. The next two pitches were further outside then the previous ones.. The last one looked like it was thrown at the dugout.. Next at bat, I didn't swing, but it was way outside.. Maybe a coincidence or maybe they had a pattern on me.

Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Tigers
Michigan Football

I didn't mean to hit the umpire with the dirt, but I did mean to hit that bastard in the stands. -- Babe Ruth

Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak the sunrise past a rooster. -- Joe Adcock
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2017, 09:30 PM   #6
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

I wish Inside Edge would make it into Franchise Mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2017, 01:48 PM   #7
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9

Just wanted to bump the thread to mention that player quirks which are bound to be discussed thoroughly today seem to be targeted at this kind of topic.

So far, we know the example given about Rizzo being an aggressive breaking ball and clutch hitter among other things.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:41 PM   #8
MVP

MetsFan16's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by @legendm0de
Just wanted to bump the thread to mention that player quirks which are bound to be discussed thoroughly today seem to be targeted at this kind of topic.

So far, we know the example given about Rizzo being an aggressive breaking ball and clutch hitter among other things.

Remember in one of the streams Ramone told Lance I think to not hit "Left" or "Right" on the directional pad while batting? I have a feeling that's going to be where Quirks, Batter vs. Pitcher Matchups are shown.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »