Home

Manage only mode

This is a discussion on Manage only mode within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #65
MVP

OVR: 2
Re: Manage only mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamikb2001
I don't neccessarily sit them right away,but if slump starts to get bad they'll get a day.Your right though when your team goes cold it can often be for lengthy stretches.I try to give my catcher a day or two a week.I have one platoon.And the others usually a day week sometimes more depending on matchups.I use the Giants by the way.
I also platoon my catchers as I have one who hits left while the other hits right and platooning players should help reduce the number of cold streaks. But you can't platoon everyone, nor would you want to when some guys are just better than others.

BTW the real world Giants will be going through some tough days for the next couple of months and I suspect they are going to have a hard time staying competitive in a division with the Dodgers but also with the Rockies and D-Backs playing so much better than the so called experts said they would play. However I fully expect the virtual versions of the Giants and the Dodgers to give me fits throughout my own MLB 17 season. So far in my MLB 17 season, only the 1st place Cubs (clearly the best team in my virtual league) and the 1st place Rockies match what the real world teams are doing. None of the other divisional leaders in my virtual MLB 17 season (Blue Jays, White Sox, Angels and Phillies) match the real world divisional leaders (Orioles, Indians/Tigers, Astros and Nationals). In fact in my virtual MLB 17 season, the Orioles and Nationals are both struggling in last place in their respective divisions.

I really need to stop comparing my MLB 17 season with the real world.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2017, 12:04 PM   #66
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by My993C2
So looking at the standings of my MLB 17 season, you would think I should have nothing to whine about. With control of the Rockies, I am presently in 1st place in the NL West with a 13-7 record, 1 game ahead of the Dodgers, 3 ahead of the Giants, 4.5 ahead of Arizona and San Diego? The Padres are in for a long long long season. But coming off of a 3 game weekend series against the Giants where I lost 2 of 3 and my first game of the week against the Nationals (I tend to play one day ahead of the real world calendar), in the last 4 games where I have gone 2-2, I have managed to get only 17 hits in these 4 games. Yes a hair over 4 hits a game. Yikes. It's getting to be that part of the year again. The time when players begin to get cold and we have to manage a bench full of cold players. Presently 4 of my starting positional players have gone cold and I am expecting more of them to catch this cold spell in the coming days as how many games can your players endure 0-4 outings before they catch the cold spell. When only a handful of players go cold, you can manage the problem. But when almost the entire team is cold, you have some problems on your hands.

Experience tells me you cannot ignore a cold player as it will take longer for them to snap a cold streak if you ignore the issue versus taking action and sitting them. I have a general strategy where when a player gets cold I immediately sit them for the next 2 games and I will only bring them into a game during this time on the bench if I get desperate and my games go into extra innings. But even when I sit a cold player for the mandatory 2 games on the bench, about half the time they still stay cold and need to be sit more. It's like a Catch-22 scenario at times when you are dealing with a bench full of cold players. Only thing that saved me with my latest games against the Nationals (that I won 2-0 despite getting only 4 hits in the game) is that the Nationals have even more cold players than I do and the CPU manager does not sit cold players, it only sits fatigued players.

PS: before someone says this is a slider issue, I don't think it is. Offensive across the league in all the CPU vs CPU games that are played outside of my MoM games is not down. There are plenty of high offensive output games. For whatever reason the Giants pitching staff did a number on my hitters during my 3 games series (it's amazing that I won the 3rd game 2-1 on only 3 hits. Of course a Giants walk, 2 wild pitches as well as a poorly timed throwing error by Buster Posey at 3B after a wild pitch resulted in me winning the game with an unearned run). So yeah the Giants pitchers turned a number of my hitters cold which seems to be carrying forward into the Nationals series and as I said, the only thing that helped me so far was that the Nationals hitters are just as cold if not colder than my hitters.

So when your players go cold, how long do you sit them? Or do you sit them?
CPU vs CPU games use the sim engine. User controlled team uses the game engine. The sim engine and game engine are two completely different entities and produce different results.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:09 PM   #67
MVP

forme95's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
CPU vs CPU games use the sim engine. User controlled team uses the game engine. The sim engine and game engine are two completely different entities and produce different results.

I completely agree with this. CPU vs CPU is different then MoM. CPU has NO user input to effect the outcome, whereas MoM does.

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 04-25-2017, 01:59 PM   #68
MVP

My poor offensive production is getting worse as last night's game I could only muster up 5 hits in the game making it only 22 hits now in the last 5 games played on my Coors Field 2-3 home stand. That's right 22 hits in 5 games at Coors Field? So much for the thin air high offensive output that Coors Field is supposed to surrender.

Going into the game I had 4 cold positional starters and I am anticipating I will have 4, possibly more players joining the cold streak when I go to play today's game this evening. You simply cannot go 0-4 night after night before the game punishes your players and enters into the catch-22 cold streaks. But as mentioned yesterday, I really don't think this is a slider issue. The Washington Nationals (my opponents last night) banged out 12 hits as their previously cold line up, warmed up nicely for them just in time to end their losing streak. I don't mind taking the loss, I certainly don't want to win every game. It's just that ... LOL ... the game just hates me right now. But the game does not completely hate me. I've actually picked off 2 base runners at 1B 2 nights in a row. You could go months without picking off a base runner, and here I get 2 of them on successive nights including the one in last night's game came with a right hand pitcher on the mound (previously I have only ever seen lefties pick off the base runner).

So yeah the game hates me regarding the offensive cold spells my hitters are presently dealing with. But the game does throw me a bone regarding picking off base runners.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:45 AM   #69
MVP

Quote:
My poor offensive production is getting worse as last night's game I could only muster up 5 hits in the game making it only 22 hits now in the last 5 games played on my Coors Field 2-3 home stand. That's right 22 hits in 5 games at Coors Field? So much for the thin air high offensive output that Coors Field is supposed to surrender.

Going into the game I had 4 cold positional starters and I am anticipating I will have 4, possibly more players joining the cold streak when I go to play today's game this evening. You simply cannot go 0-4 night after night before the game punishes your players and enters into the catch-22 cold streaks. But as mentioned yesterday, I really don't think this is a slider issue. The Washington Nationals (my opponents last night) banged out 12 hits as their previously cold line up, warmed up nicely for them just in time to end their losing streak. I don't mind taking the loss, I certainly don't want to win every game. It's just that ... LOL ... the game just hates me right now. But the game does not completely hate me. I've actually picked off 2 base runners at 1B 2 nights in a row. You could go months without picking off a base runner, and here I get 2 of them on successive nights including the one in last night's game came with a right hand pitcher on the mound (previously I have only ever seen lefties pick off the base runner).

So yeah the game hates me regarding the offensive cold spells my hitters are presently dealing with. But the game does throw me a bone regarding picking off base runners.
If I was the boss at SDS I'd give whoever is programming game play some help. Visually the game looks great - fantastic animations. Uniforms look great. Game on the field needs a lot of attention.

Unfortunately I have an uneasy feeling they don't care and are going to leave it to us to adjust sliders. There are some things sliders won't fix.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:45 PM   #70
MVP

The game is not perfect. It has warts. But the bottom line, is does the game entertain you? If it entertains us, we play it. If it does not entertain us, we find something else to do. Heck I was a casual baseball fan only watching the playoff games up until I discovered the SDS MLB The Show series. This game has taught me a lot about baseball. There are still many more things I have yet to learn. But MLB The Show has been very good to me, when it does not hate me. LOL

The game still hates me. I lost again last night and yes it was another low offensive 5 hit effort (make that 27 hits in my last 6 games where I am 2-4 and I am lucky to have won those 2 games, I could easily be 0-6 during this cold snap). But I was also up against Max Scherzer one of the premiere pitchers in the league. So my low offense in last night's game against Scherzer should not have come at a surprise. Plus call it a fault (not the first time I have mentioned this), but I cannot help but compare what is going on in the real world games compared to my MLB The Show games and I get frustrated when my MLB The Show players are lousy compared to how the guys are performing in the real world. Example, in the real world games, Mark Reynolds is playing awesome. He's a huge reason for the Rockies 14-7 record. But in this game Mark Reynolds sucks. Yes I could adjust his assigned attributes, but I am trying to resist doing this.

Not sure if I will be playing a game tonight or if I will defer until tomorrow. I know sooner or later the guys who are cold on my roster will snap out of their cold snaps and guys presently playing well will go cold. It's just how MLB The Show is programmed. Yes cold snaps happen in the real world, but there is something about how MLB The Show handles them that constantly remind me how much the game hates me, despite my 13-9 record which is still much better than 9-13.

Last edited by My993C2; 04-26-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:17 AM   #71
Rookie

saucerset's Arena

Quote:
The game is not perfect. It has warts. But the bottom line, is does the game entertain you? If it entertains us, we play it. If it does not entertain us, we find something else to do.
Well said.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2017, 02:28 AM   #72
MVP

Good news. My team got 9 hits in my game this evening. Bad news. I still lost the game. The game definitely hates me right now. But it entertains me, so I play it.

Watch out for the Nationals. They are looking good so far.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »