Home

Player Quirks

This is a discussion on Player Quirks within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-10-2017, 09:03 PM   #41
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Player Quirks

Does this really mean we can expect to see unique, dynamic behavior from different players and not just results in the box score..

Will we see guys who take pitches a whole lot verses swing happy guys like Hunter Pence, or players who look to hit the other way like Carlos Correa, will we see that behavior reflect?

Will we see ANY quirks for defensively oriented player features you know, maybe like Swag Tags and Snap Throws to 1B.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2017, 09:17 PM   #42
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by @legendm0de
Will we see ANY quirks for defensively oriented player features you know, maybe like Swag Tags and Snap Throws to 1B.
In the stream, they showed there are defensive quirks.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:29 PM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 2

I am very curious to see how these quirks work in game. If the year have as much affect on the game as the traits in NBA 2k have, this is a gam changer
Old 03-10-2017, 10:41 PM   #44
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
Pretty sure they said it wasn't a negative impact on ratings, it just won't be active so you will be 'normal' hence acting like a negative.
here Mil

https://youtu.be/ZC6-clv-gko?t=3664

I still have questions. For example first pitch hitter - does he get a decline in attributes on every other pitch or as you suggest a boost on the first pitch and then neutral? Same with guys who hit better with 2 strikes and situational hitter. If those guys get a decline whenever they aren't in that situation then I want to avoid them.

2/3 of MLB games are played at night to unless you are running the Cubs you probably want to avoid players with the day player quirk because 2/3 of the time he will get a slight decline. As a manage mode user I know most pitchers have either a 4 seam fastball or 2 seam fastball/sinker as their primary pitch and they throw their primary pitch most of the time so I'm probably going to avoid the position players with the breaking ball hitter quirk.

It looks like the key to quirks will be playing the percentages so most of the time you have a guy who has decent attributes to begin with and quirks which will stack positive while avoiding quirks which will subtract. It would be nice if the search engine allowed a search for particular quirks but I doubt they went that deep.

I won't use quick manage or critical situations but quirks will be fun to mess around with.

Last edited by tessl; 03-10-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:06 AM   #45
MVP

zippy2212's Arena

OVR: 8

I think I like what they've done with the quirks, much like the new player faces. But I am concerned that you can't assign or edit them. I started my franchise in 14 and have played every inning. What's going to happen to guys like Bryant, Baez, Russell who are non SCEA caps. They are going to get assigned random quirks that don't match the real player. Game play wise it might not be a big deal but it messes with the feeling that they are the "real" player.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2017, 09:14 AM   #46
MVP

I'm confused as to why there are negatives to certain positive quirks.

If a guy has an 85 contact rating and has the night time boost quirk, he'll get a night time boost correct? So let's assume his 85 contact rating boosts up to 88 at night. Then they said that player would also get a negative effect if it wasn't a night game right? So in a day game his 85 contact rating will drop to say 83 during the day?

Well if it's the way I just described then considering our planet only allows us to have day games or night games, this player who has an 85 contact rating will only ever have an 88 or 83 contact rating and thus will never actually have an 85 contact rating so it's like that 85 rating doesn't even exist. Does this make sense to anyone else???

I believe a positive quirk should only give you a positive boost but should not give you a negative effect.

A guy with an 85 rating with the night time quirk should have the 88 at night and just revert to his original 85 rating during the day. The only negative effect should be reverting back to his norm.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:28 AM   #47

NewNapkin's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet1929
I'm confused as to why there are negatives to certain positive quirks.

If a guy has an 85 contact rating and has the night time boost quirk, he'll get a night time boost correct? So let's assume his 85 contact rating boosts up to 88 at night. Then they said that player would also get a negative effect if it wasn't a night game right? So in a day game his 85 contact rating will drop to say 83 during the day?

Well if it's the way I just described then considering our planet only allows us to have day games or night games, this player who has an 85 contact rating will only ever have an 88 or 83 contact rating and thus will never actually have an 85 contact rating so it's like that 85 rating doesn't even exist. Does this make sense to anyone else???

I believe a positive quirk should only give you a positive boost but should not give you a negative effect.

A guy with an 85 rating with the night time quirk should have the 88 at night and just revert to his original 85 rating during the day. The only negative effect should be reverting back to his norm.

That isn't how it works if I remember correctly. There would be no negative effect, the "negative" only comes from not having the boost.

And it wouldn't affect ratings, just PCI size.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:42 PM   #48
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by @legendm0de
Does this really mean we can expect to see unique, dynamic behavior from different players and not just results in the box score..

Will we see guys who take pitches a whole lot verses swing happy guys like Hunter Pence, or players who look to hit the other way like Carlos Correa, will we see that behavior reflect?

Pull hitters and opposite field hitters are already in the game and unlike in the past it is now on the player card so when you trade for a guy or scout a guy you see that. Plate discipline impacts how swing happy they are.

My guess is any defensive quirks will be display quirks based upon attributes. As with everything else attributes matter when it comes to game play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »