Home

Does The Show have an NBA Today type mode?

This is a discussion on Does The Show have an NBA Today type mode? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2017, 02:06 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Does The Show have an NBA Today type mode?

I have long lost the willingness to grind out full seasons of most sports games. I grew up a sim gamer, starting with dic and cards and tracking stats in notebooks. And text based football and baseball games were my jam. But since sports games went mostly console, I have not had the patience for what passes for sim these days.

But I love NBA Today, and loved the old MLB Today, because it provided the same buzz, playing a game within the context of a season. And I might sit down and play several of the games scheduled each day because the match-ups look interesting. I have no idea why EA has never put this in for Madden, where a single game a week would make it million times easier to implement, especially with the updated commentary.

I'm going to be new to the The Show this year. Does this game have that type of mode?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2017, 02:39 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 27
Re: Does The Show have an NBA Today type mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D
I have long lost the willingness to grind out full seasons of most sports games. I grew up a sim gamer, starting with dic and cards and tracking stats in notebooks. And text based football and baseball games were my jam. But since sports games went mostly console, I have not had the patience for what passes for sim these days.

But I love NBA Today, and loved the old MLB Today, because it provided the same buzz, playing a game within the context of a season. And I might sit down and play several of the games scheduled each day because the match-ups look interesting. I have no idea why EA has never put this in for Madden, where a single game a week would make it million times easier to implement, especially with the updated commentary.

I'm going to be new to the The Show this year. Does this game have that type of mode?
Yes. It's called The Show Live.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:56 PM   #3
Banned

Thanks! I had not seen any mention of it in the PR and threads.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:01 PM   #4
Rookie

parky_17's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D
Thanks! I had not seen any mention of it in the PR and threads.
It's been in for 2 or 3 years so that would be why it wasn't advertised

Sent from my SM-G920F using Operation Sports mobile app

TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
TORONTO BLUE JAYS
WASHINGTON CAPITALS
DETROIT PISTONS
Old 03-16-2017, 04:07 PM   #5
Banned

I should also point out that with the same, The Show Live, it is freaking impossible to google up information on the mode.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2017, 06:56 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Show live isnt really a season mode type deal is it?
I mean, it doesnt keep up with stats or season standings, you just play a game then move onto another, is that right? sort of Play Now, but with correct rosters for whatever date you choose. Or am I way off base?

A Work in Progress
Old 03-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
Show live isnt really a season mode type deal is it?
I mean, it doesnt keep up with stats or season standings, you just play a game then move onto another, is that right? sort of Play Now, but with correct rosters for whatever date you choose. Or am I way off base?
Pretty much. Roster updates throughout.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 03-16-2017, 08:44 PM   #8
Banned

But the game imports the current stats, and those are used for the "broadcast" elements, right? The way it would work in MLB Today is that they would reference if a player had 3 hits the night before, or how a pitcher did in his last outing, as well as current standings and stat leaders. If you had a home run leader on your team, and you hit one, it would "update" that total for the broadcast.

Later they added a mode that permanently substituted the star for any game you played in place the real stats that happened. Because of a lot of factors, that didn't work out well, at all.

Mostly, it is a Play Now mode that feels current and in some ways, was like an interactive update on what's going on in baseball. They used the exact same commentary that they would use in franchise play, but with real life stats instead of the ones you created.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »